The Davenport Lusso, Autograph Collection
  • Breakfast included
$119
$143
  • Pool
Quality Inn Downtown 4th Avenue(Spokane)(Great Value!)
$78
  • Breakfast included
$131
$124
$95
$83
Best Western Plus Peppertree Airport Inn(Spokane)(Great Value!)
$124
$92
Agoda.com
All reviewsale houseacross the streetvalet parkingpost streetdowntown spokanegreat boutiqueattached restaurantsoaking tuban older buildingcharming hotelstreet noisespent nights hereriverfront parkself parklovely roomsister hotelpeanut brittle
Reviewed March 1, 2008

I received a call from the sales manager at the Hotel Lusso, asking my company to try out the hotel because they have new corporate rates - which by the way are very competitive for what they offer and the service they bring. For a person who travels frequently - I absolutely enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Lusso! Not only was I greeted by their friendly valet/bell staff but I was greeted by their manager at check in! He asked me how my day was going and told me if there was anything I needed to contact him or his sales manager! It was wonderful! Not only are the rooms beautiful, very spaceous and comfortable but their evening wine reception was lovely as well. I called down for room service from their restaurant Fugazzi which was promptly delivered to my room in 30 minutes - enough time to relax - the food was amazing! I called down to talk to the managment about how wonderful his staff was, saying thank you and I would be bringing my company here from now on - he graceously said their was no need to thank him, and that it was the hotel's pleasure to take care of us. Also on a side note from a short conversation with the manager apparently in the last few weeks their has been some management changes, which apparently were for the best because this hotel is wonderful! I will definately be back and continue to bring my business here as well! GREAT customer service!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank ProSpokane08
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Attached is a copy of a letter we e-mailed to the owner of the Hotel Lusso on 2/12/08. It is now 2/27/08 and the only response we have received is an e-mail acknowledgement that he will respond soon.

Dear Sir,

My wife and I recently celebrated our 24th Wedding Anniversary and we eagerly arranged a stay at your hotel for a weekend getaway in one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. We ruled out the Davenport as being a bit “over the top” for our tastes and were looking forward to a wonderful stay in a centrally located room and a weekend of dining, shopping and general relaxation in the finest part of Spokane. After reviewing your web site, we decided on a Superior King room and the “Weekend Dinner Movie Package” that included dinner at Fugazzi, dessert at the Cavallino and movie tickets at the mall. We checked in on 1-26 and planned on a 2 night stay as I had a business meeting in Spokane on Monday the 28th. As we entered the hotel, we were pleased and impressed with the lobby area and the service that we received as we checked in to our room, #204.

The room was very nice on first appearance with colors and décor lending a period tone of high end luxury. We unpacked and went to the Complimentary Afternoon Wine Reception (Hotels.com calls it a wine tasting by the fire in the lobby and the Small Luxury Hotels of the World calls it a wine social) for a glass of wine before dinner. Our experience with wine receptions, and frankly, our expectation, was that we would be offered a couple of choices of wine, perhaps an hors d’oeuvre or 2 in the lobby near the fireplace. We were a bit surprised to be directed to the lounge where instead we were told in a rather condescending fashion that we could have a glass of house Chardonnay or Cabernet period; no additional choices, no finger food, no fireplace, no “luxury” if you will. We were determined to enjoy our evening, so after finishing our wine and watching the goings on outside the windows of the lounge, we proceeded to dinner.

Our meal was wonderful with excellent service although one would be mightily pressed to pay for salad, dinner and a glass of wine for the $50 certificate included in the package. After enjoying a leisurely meal, we went to the lounge for dessert and were pleased with it as well. Being well satisfied with our meal and dessert, we prepared to retire to the promised “luxurious linens” for a relaxing evening and a good night’s sleep.

The package included “Evening Turndown Service”. Although not clearly defined in the documentation, my expectation was to have the bed turned down with a nice chocolate on the pillow and perhaps a single serving bottle of Courvoisier or 2 added as well. To our dismay, there was no perceptible change to our room upon our arrival after dinner. Again, we were determined to not let this bother us. After a while, we prepared to “turn the bed down” ourselves and bask on the luxurious linens. Much to our disappointment, we found the bed made with what were probably luxurious sheets when they were new, but were now simply well worn, balled up, and far from “luxurious”. Again, we made the best of it and retired.

Morning came and we were anxious for the day to begin. I went to the bathroom to make a cup of coffee and was mortified to find that the pot was dirty with the prior tenants leftover coffee still in it. Needless to say, I left my coffee unmade and jumped in the shower before going downstairs to get some at the restaurant. I grabbed one of the towels to dry off and I found it like the sheets to be well worn and in fact with two different tears about three inches long on the sides. As I pulled it back and forth over my back, these tears got even longer. My wife and I both agreed that these findings were totally unacceptable and we agreed to complain to the desk.

While we were getting ready for breakfast, we were presented with a bill. As we perused it, we found that we were being charged $15 for valet service that was supposed to have been “complimentary” as per the package. Unfortunately, this was just one more thing to add to the list of concerns.

We approached the desk and shared our concerns with the 2 people attending it. They were both very gracious and apologetic and agreed that it was unacceptable. When we suggested that we may not want to stay for our second night, she offered to discuss it with her manager to see if they could rectify the situation and perhaps even upgrade our room. We replied that we were just looking for what we were promised… a clean room with luxurious linens. However, we agreed to allow her the opportunity to make it right by us and we went out for the day.

Upon our return, I approached the desk and was told that we were being upgraded to a penthouse suite that was perfectly detailed, room #504. We decided to give it a try and loaded up our things and moved up to our new room. Again, the room appeared to be very lovely… well furnished and spacious with a beautiful bathroom/shower area and a fireplace/sitting area. We were WOWED when we walked in and were very impressed with the upgrade. We immediately checked the sheets and found 2 layers of sheets with a blanket in between that were in much better shape than our previous room… very nice touch. As we prepared to settle in, my wife went to the refrigerator to get a diet coke. In spite of the $2.50 per can cost, she pulled one out and found it to be dated 12-17 making it about 40 days past it’s pull date. She called the desk where they were very apologetic and offered to send some right up. A while later a rather abrupt housekeeper brought us a fresh one and checked the others in the refrigerator. We were a bit put off by her lack of apology, but, we really wanted the room to be as good as it looked. The housekeeper left and my wife selected a glass from the bathroom in which to pour it. BOTH of the glasses were obviously unwashed…dirty with finger prints and debris. Then I attempted to turn on the TV and the remote was broken. When I tried to make it work, the battery cover fell off and the batteries fell out on the bed. I went to the desk and got a replacement for this. We decided to go out to dinner and returned to the room afterwards to enjoy looking out the window and watching the snow fall.

The next morning, we showered and once again, the towel was badly torn. My wife pointed out what appeared to be red wine drippings dried on the tiles in front of the sink which smeared as we tread on them leading us to the conclusion that the floor simply had not been mopped between tenants. At this point, we had had our fill of your establishment.

As we checked out, we were asked if we enjoyed the new room. After some hesitation, I shared what we found with the clerk, who was again very gracious and very apologetic. I said that we really didn’t want anything other than an opportunity to share with the management what our concerns were. She took our home phone number and my cell phone number and assured me that she would deliver it to the manager with the message that I would like a call. It is now 2 weeks later and I have still not received said call.

Your facility has the potential to be one of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. What lacks is adequate housekeeping and management follow through on basic hotel operations and business etiquette. Needless to say, it will be very difficult to return to or to recommend the Lusso to anyone that we know or interact with. Further, we intend to forward this communication on to the appropriate parties at the Small Luxury Hotels of the World to more accurately reflect reality in terms of the Lusso’s performance… a mediocre hotel operation in a really cool building

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank purplecdt
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I booked my room directly (shopping package, actually) and let them know it was a birthday treat. Not once was this acknowledged. (Mind you, this is listed as a "luxury" hotel.) The room was spacious and comfortable, and the soaking tub was really nice. Location is very convenient to downtown shopping and restaurants. I still didn't have my bottle of wine I was supposed to get when I got back from shopping, and when I inquired, I got the "we've been really busy" line. Within ten minutes, a guy showed up with apologizing as no one had told them they needed to bring one up... Hm....Excuse me? The 2 shopping certificates had to be used all at once in one or 2 places only, which was disappointing. Dinner via room service (Fugazzi's restaurant) was also disappointing. It arrived quickly, but there was no mention of onions listed on the menu with the other listed ingredients, let alone a chunk of onion core. My second bite of chicken was grisly, and most of the meal went to waste, and it was overpriced to begin with. The continental breakfast looked nice, but there was no one there to seat people and a crowd formed behind me and another guy ahead of me who was tired of waiting started helping himself, so I grabbed a mini croissant and left. I typically check out as late as I can when I am doing a birthday package, and I ended up checking out early. I will stay elsewhere for my upcoming anniversary and next special event. I was not asked how my stay was at checkout. Front desk service was not up to par, but valet and bell service were excellent.

• Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank Traveldanse
Reviewed November 28, 2007

THIS IS NOT A PET FRIENDLY HOTEL and the staff is not friendly either!

Before booking this room on Expedia, I made sure to confirm that it clearly indicated that this hotel welcomed pets as i was travelling home for Thanksgiving and had to bring my dogs along. The hotel details on the Expedia site said that they did welcome pets and that there was a $150 deposit. (and it still does say this on Expedia as of this posting.)
On Thanksgiving night, I checked into the hotel for two nights with my two small dogs on a leash at my side. The front desk said absolutely nothing about the dogs and wished me a pleasant stay.
The next morning, while waiting for the valet to get my car, I was sitting with my two dogs (small shih tzus) on a leash in the lobby. A hotel employee approached me and asked me if i was a hotel guest. I said yes. She was absolutely stunned to learn that I had stayed the night in the hotel with two dogs, as according to her, the hotel has a strict no pets policy. The look on her face was one of horror, it was absolutely unbelievable. I have never felt so unwelcome in a hotel :(
I immediately had to go on the defensive and told her that the Expedia site said that pets were welcome and about the deposit. She then had the gall to ask me "Well, were you charged a deposit ?" and I said " I have no idea, i paid by credit card, maybe you should find out". She then walked off.

Needless to say, I was pretty furious about this and went to the front desk, fired up my laptop and showed them the Expedia site that clearly indicated that they accepted pets.
The acknowledged that they used to, but no longer did and that yeah, they should update that website.
The attitude from the staff was incredulous! No apologies at all!
I immediately told them i would be checking out and I booked a room at the Davenport hotel across the street (which by the way had no problems accomodating me and my pets., it also ended up being a *far* superior hotel in every respect.)

I can certainly understand why , due to a few irresponsible pet owners, some hotels would decide to have no pet policies, but they should :

a) make sure their details are correct on Expedia. From what i understand from Expedia is that each hotel is responsible for keeping their hotel details up to date.
b) apologize for such a big misunderstanding like this. As I said, not one of the employees apologized at all! Even though i had to go up to my room and repack and then lug my luggage across the street to check into the Davenport.
c) perhaps also consider having a no children policy as well if they are so concerned with their rooms. It is very hard for me to believe that my small dogs could do anywhere close to as much damage as a horde of children could do to a room. and they accept children, well at least their website says they do :) ..parents you had better double check.

I definately did not experience anywhere close to the type of service that I would have expected from this hotel and judging from some of the other reviews here I see that I am not the only one that has experienced bad service here.

I would steer clear of this hotel. If you are in Spokane, stay at the Davenport instead, you will love it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Darren_Seattle
Reviewed November 16, 2007

At first it was a bit hard to find, being across the street from the dazzling Davenport. The hotel is more laid back, softer light - like a place you'd have an affair in. It's beautiful from the fountain and furnishings in the lobby to the oversize rooms - at least the one we stayed in. I felt like I was staying in a luxury hotel at half the cost. If you get back from whatever you're doing early enough (before 5) there's a free glass of wine waiting, and a full-size breakfast is included in the price.
As for the staff, we found them so friendly, we started to think someone had called ahead and told them to give us special treatment, like we were especially important or something. The bar and bar service was incredible (thanks for that X passionfruit liqueur - we bought 2 bottles of it) - and then the food. Don't order appetizers in the bar unless you are famished. They were way bigger than expected. And dining in the Fugazzi restaurant was to die for - fabulous menu, fabulous presentation and just plain fabulous food.
I was also impressed with the valet parking as they assured us the car would be in a secure lock-up with cameras so we left our shopping items in the car. Had no problem. You can't do that at any hotel in Vancouver, B.C.
We didn't find this hotel any noisier than any other hotel in a big city although I think we were on the opposite side of the bus depot. My husband liked that the room wasn't a mile from the elevator.
Oh, I forgot - great cookies everyday, as well.
I did hear from staff that this hotel has changed management a few times this year, but whoever is running it now must be doing something right. Special kudos to the staff - we'll definitely want to stay there again next time we go to Spokane.
Lana Rodlie, reporter Trail Daily Times