“What's Happened at the Lusso???”

The Davenport Lusso, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
vivalaskyle
“What's Happened at the Lusso???”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2007

I used to stay here a lot. I've recently had very bad service every time I've stayed. I book through the sales office and that department is great (Jeff it the Best!!!). Otherwise the front desk seems lost and the attitudes in the management seem like they don't really care about the guests. I've heard that there had been a recent change in management; my suggestion would be to go back to whom ever was the old management. Who ever used to run this joint seemed to have things together.

I'm not going to go on forever and list all of the things that I've had issues with. Just know that I've not had a good stay in the last month and I stay every week! Something has gone wrong somewhere in each department at least once.

I used to love this place...what happened!?!?

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank vivalaskyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel because it sells itself well online on it's website. The real truth is that it's run by a bunch of idiots. There is a "new" GM who is a real jerk. I had a chance to speak with him briefly and he is a real know-it-all, not from the area, kinda guy. I also was there for a second with the Director of Sales (?) and he acted like he was 12 years old, really unprofesional.

The bright spots were the rooms and the services I had in dinner in the resturaunt. The manager at the desk was very nice and knowledgable (Erik?).

Overall I'm guessing this hotel will not be around in a couple of years becuase the management seems to be a little slow.

Oh well, back to the strong and steady Davenport.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank jimbosmith
Cashmere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Lusso August 14th and 15th. We stayed in Room 505 and booked our reservations through Hotel Lusso via telephone. We are fans of the convenience of booking online but too many times there is a glich somewhere (regardless if it is hotels, flights, or dinner). We have never been treated so wonderful
and so genuine as I was at Hotel Lusso. The room was modest and affordable and we loved the cozyness combined with elegance all in one. We plan on going to Spokane more often (business and pleasure) and we will book again at Hotel Lusso. FYI we have stayed in the top hotels in Vegas and Florida that were 3 times the price of a one night stay at Hotel Lusso and nothing compared to the overall atmosphere that Hotel Lusso offered. On a side note...compared to the Davenport the price is much more affordable (through hotel reservations personnel) and we did not have to be "rich" to stay at the Lusso and we were treated like a King and Queen!!!!
Ron & Julia Cantwell

• Liked — Valet Parking, convenience shopping stores food within walking distance and Great Staff
  • Disliked — It was the best hotel we stayed in better - better than 7 different hotels on the stip in Vegas that were over $200 a night.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank luv2taketrips
USA, Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

My stay at the Lusso Hotel was wonderful. I booked with them directly for a Romance Package. Dinner, rose pedals on the bed with wine were included. The food in the restuarant is a small assortment of fish, beef dishes, few vegetarian dishes. The appearance of the hotel inside is amazing, marble everywhere, feels like and Italian gettaway. The room was massive with soft and heavy sheets on a enormous bed. The style was very rich and indulgent feeling.

Stayed July 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

I just returned from a two-night stay in room 500, which I had booked online at the rate of $116/night. At the same time, I had also booked a three-night stay for my mother at the same rate. (As I write this, she is still checked into room 505.) The hotel itself is lovely and I would usually consider $116/night a bargain for what you get, but I encountered some serious problems at check in.

The short story is that the online reservation system does not tie directly into the hotel's computer system. Each online reservation must be entered by hand and the default stay is for one night. The front desk clerk said that the person doing the data entry often "tabs through" the page where you are supposed to enter the number of nights.

Both my reservation and my mother's reservation were entered incorrectly in the hotel's computer as one night stays (arriving Friday and leaving Saturday -- who does that?). The front desk clerk was able to correct my booking, but could make no assurances regarding my mom's room as the hotel was overbooked for Saturday night. After talking to three different people and showing them printouts of my online reservations, I went to bed that night thinking that my mom would have to move to the Davenport the next day. They could not even assure me that she would get the same rate at the Davenport.

I thought it was extremely lame that they would even suggest that my mom would have to vacate the room Saturday night in favor of someone else, just because they had mis-entered her reservation. Why not explain to the person arriving on Saturday that the hotel was overbooked? Why was this my problem and not the hotel's problem? I asked to speak to the manager but was told she wasn't there Friday night and that she didn't work weekends. It felt like no one was in charge. My husband noted that the attitude at the front desk was "indifferent".

Lessons learned:
1. Call to confirm online reservations.
2. ALWAYS bring a printout of your online reservation. It would have been my word against theirs without it, and even then they didn't seem too impressed.

I checked again on Saturday morning and found that my mom's room booking had miraculously been fixed. Did someone with authority finally look into this?

Good things:
Lovely rooms with nice amenities. Cookies a nice touch. Continental breakfast wonderful and server took good care of us.

Next time I'll probably try the Davenport, since my mom almost ended up there anyway.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank KingConnie
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

We've just returned from a 3 day stay in Spokane, June 7-10th at the Hotel Lusso.

Check-in:
Very smooth and quick. Mike, who was working behind the desk, was very polite and explained everything from the wine reception held in the afternoon to the breakfast served in the restaurant in the morning.

Room:
We booked and stayed in a queen room. I have a feeling this is the worst room in the hotel. Initially, we were a bit taken aback by the size, it was very small, but the bathroom was very large. It was also stuffy and had a strange smell. We tried to open the window (which had a view to a dark and dingy alley littered with beer kegs and garbage containers) but it was painted shut. We turned the knob on the heat control all the way down and left to go have dinner. We returned 3 hours later to find the room even more stuffy and smelling of a combination of fish and chlorine (not nice at all). This was not something that I could sleep through, it made my stomach turn. So I called down to the front desk, and Mike was able to move us into a new room (a King!) with no problems (and no extra cost).

[As a side, I think there were ventillation problems with the kitchens of the lounge and restaurant that caused the smell in our room.]

Our next room was SO much better. Large (huge!) and had two windows...one that actually opened! I don't think the air conditioning is all that great in this hotel, and for two of the three nights we slept with the window open (noisy...but slept through most of it).

For people who are sensitive to noise, you might want to avoid having a room that faces the street. We were on the 2nd floor above the Cavolino Lounge that plays music outside under their awning until after midnight. You're also across from a main city bus depot and can hear buses running (and the people who get on and off) into the night as well. There was also a beeping noise in the hallway that went off every 2-3 minutes -- if you're extremely sensitive to this sort of thing, don't stay on the 2nd floor. I think this was for an alarmed door that went down to the street level.

Extra perks:
Every night we were treated with a bag of 3 cookies (I'm assuming they're baked in the restaurant, as they were very fresh!). The first night was oatmeal and chocolate chip, the second night chocolate chip, and the last night a chocolate cookie with white chocolate.

Water pressure in the hotel is on the verge of crazy -- but will be good for people who hate so-so water pressure. Make sure to adjust the shower head to avoid feeling like you're being jabbed by needles on one particular setting!

Breakfast was served in the Fugazzi restaurant downstairs every morning. It's only served until 9am on weekdays (which I think is a bit early) and until 11am on weekends. They have a waffle station, orange juice (which I found really bitter tasting), coffee (regular and decaf), fruit (usually oranges and bananas), there were fresh strawberries on the Friday and Saturday, fruit salad on Sunday, granola, the usual packaged breakfast cereals and milk. There seemed to be a rotation of pastries, two days there were croissants (excellent!), one day there were small tarts and the next some sort of cream puff. There was also a small menu that you could order eggs, ham, etc. off of for an additional cost.

Check-out:
This is where I was very angry. There was nothing wrong with the bill slipped under the door -- that was completely fine. When we left at 7:30am on the Sunday, a man wearing a burgundy buttom-up shirt was working the front desk. I went up and placed my key on the counter. He walked to the computer in front of where I was standing and just looked at me. No 'good morning' or 'how was your stay?', NOTHING.

I said to him, 'checking out' and slid the key towards him. Again, NOTHING. He just looked at me. So I thought, maybe he didn't hear me, and said 'checking out' again. He SIGHED and looked at me, paused and said, 'Room number???' with such an attitude I almost felt like saying 'HEY, why don't we cut with the attitude??'. How am I to know what you need to know to do your job? And furthermore, a little politeness like, 'Good Morning' or SOME sort of greeting or acknowledgement would have gone a long way. Even sub-par hotels/motels I have stayed in at least have front desk people who have that common courtesy.

The rest of the check-out process went like that. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. I would have rated the hotel an 'above average' if it hadn't been for the incident at the end to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall, the placement of the hotel is very good. It's within walking distance to the mall (2 blocks) that has a movie theatre with 20 screens, Williams-Sonoma, Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, GAP, Nordstrom's, etc. (The Macy's there is a little on the shady side though!). There are some good restaurants around as well, and you'll be able to find plenty to walk around and look at.

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank Pixiedoodle
Port Orchard, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

Our daughter chose Hotel Lusso for her wedding. We booked a limited suite and it was perfect for everyone getting ready in and with the convenience of having the wedding and reception downstairs. The hotel staff was phenomenal, their customer service was outstanding from their valet to maid service. We will definitely stay here again whenever we come to Spokane to visit our daughter and new son-in-law.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Beds were lumpy
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family