“Totally acceptable and pleasant.”
Review of Agave Latin Bistro - CLOSED

Agave Latin Bistro
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The food was good but not exceptional. Pleasant staff and crowd.

Reviewed February 10, 2012

We visited for lunch and had a great meal. I had Carne Asade tacos - one of my favorites when done well - and this was done very well. My wife had fish tacos and our son had a Bison burger. We were all very pleased with our meals, service we great, prices were very reasonable. We will go back and this place is highly recommended.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We hadn't been to this restaurant since its ownership/chef had changed and we were pleasantly surprised by how good the experience was. The menu has interesting items (eg. wild boar) and those items my wife and I tried were all delicious. Our waitress was sweet and very attentive. We were close to one of the large fishtanks and I enjoyed watching the fish -- it was very relaxing.

All in all a pleasant evening. We'll return again.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

When I moved from Southern California to Spokane, the three things I miss the most are: The Beach, The Weather, and good Mexican food. Agave Latin Bistro takes care of one of those issues: great food from south of the border. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Spokane. It's owned and run by Ian Wingate who also owns one of my OTHER favorite restaurants here, Moxie, which is less than a block down the street in common. The two restaurants actually have very little in common. First, the food: delicious! Try the Carne Asada, the Roasted Stuffed Anaheim Pepper Con Carne or the Wild Boar Chile Verde. There are wonderful tacos (lobster, ahi, shrimp, carne asada, etc) and their house made salsa and chips are to die for. Friendly staff and great food. I will say that the restaurant has several incarnations and a very strange layout. Before being "Agave" it was "Blue Fish" and several other restaurants before that. There's the explanation for why there are fish tanks scattered throughout the space. The main dining room is long and narrow and acoustic are terrible. You're very close to your table neighbors and it can get very loud. There's a back room but it's a long way from the main part of the restaurant and if you're eating in there you really feel removed from the action. The bar area is small, but there are a few tables, including one at the window, that I tend to prefer. I will say that the name of the restaurant---Agave Latin Bistro---doesn't quite seem right. It isn't much of a "Latin Bistro" and this place also bills itself as a tequila bar which really isn't necessary. Just the name "Agave" speaks for itself. Here's one thing that illustrates what a good restaurant this is: I was talking to the owner over dinner several months ago. I showed him a couple of cell phone camera pictures of an interesting item I had enjoyed at a San Diego restaurant, it was called a Shrimp Stack and featured butterfly cut and broiled shrimp layered between small tortillas with guacamole and pico de gallo salsa and cheese. Delicious. The owner asked if I'd like him to make me one. Absolutely! It was huge and better than the original. The way he made it would be outrageously expensive and would be very time intensive for this restaurant's small kitchen to churn out on a routine basis, but the owner only charged me the cost of an appetizer. Nice gesture. Anyway, the great food and friendly attitude takes care of one of the things I miss the most about Southern California. Now, if they could only import some beach sand and turn up the heat!

2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Looking forward to our meal we entered the location late this summer and was hit with filthy fish tanks, dirty floors (there was food left under bar stools) and then the smell that one gets when they go to a funky diner and they have not changed the solution for cleaning tables for far too long. We were early diners as we were going to an event after eating and time was somewhat limited so we stayed. The "well known" chef was sitting behind the prep area in a dirty t-shirt, complaining about something while the staff was getting ready for service. This is a tiny location so everything he did was observed by all. Our food was not bad but I would have appreciated knowing that their Poppers were served uncooked. I enjoy heat and was not offended but the dish did not work as it needs the cooking to meld the flavors and bring out the perfume of the peppers etc. Will not go back. (Hope the fish survive)