“Food OK Very Poor Service”

Sante Restaurant & Charcuterie
Reserve with OpenTable
Sante Restaurant & Charcuterie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 882 Restaurants in Spokane
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Breakfast & lunch every day from 9am-3pm. Social hour 3-5pm. Dinner service nightly 5pm-close. French techniques, Northwest products. Eat globally / Act locally...... A Votre Sante
Aitutaki, Cook Islands
“Food OK Very Poor Service”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had lunch of the burger and a chicken terrine sandwich as well as a Hubbard squash soup. The burger was more bun than meat. The chicken sandwich was good and the soup was delicious.

When we first arrived we were early for lunch so it wasn't that crowded. As it filled up, however, the service went down hill. We had to ask 3 times for the desert menu. The manager finally took our order and then forgot. The place isn't that big that service should be so slow and lackadaisical.

Spokane, WA
“Disappointing... again”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I don't understand Sante. We have been going there for close to 4 years. We have had great food, OK food, mediocre food. We have had great service, OK service and poor service. We boycotted them for at least a year and went back a few months ago and were pleased. Tonight we had pretty good food and poor service. It was surprising. I am not sure when we will go back after this one.

It seems they have one main wait person and a lot of "help." The problem with this is no one seems to know where their roles end and someone else's role begins. Our waitress never introduced herself by name, and never once asked how our food was, and we had 3 courses, so she had plenty of opportunity. I think she felt if she walked by and we needed her, we would 'holler... and we didn't, so I guess she never bothered to ask... and it got a little strange.

I ran out of wine and she never asked if I needed another glass. She never once described the food in detail as most professionals would do. The person who brought our salads and amuse bouche did a great descriptive job, but the main waitress never described the menu and when asked what the beef or fish or pork was, she merely said "New York steak" or "coho salmon" never bothering to mention the preparation. At some point we began to feel slighted, in spite of a bill of $150 before tip.

My husband had pork and enjoyed it. I had a chicken roulade and didn't think it was great.. certainly not $24 worth. The salad was delicious and the gnocchi was OK. I think we are taking another year off. At least.

Oh - and it was my husband's birthday which I mentioned twice and it was completely ignored. A "Happy Birthday" might be in order, or perhaps a bite of cake... but nothing.

1 Thank petnut2
Nelson, Canada
“Unique and Delicious Local Cuisine”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here last weekend during a shopping trip to Spokane to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. I had called the week before to make a dinner reservation and the guy I spoke with was funny and friendly. He even asked if it was a special occasion, which was nice.
We arrived a little early for our dinner reservation, but they had a window table all ready for us. The atmosphere of the restaurant wasn't quite what I expected - I had pictured something a little more formal. But I think it is also a cafe during the day, so the colourful paintings on the wall made sense.
We had a few people serving our table, but the main server was very good. She was friendly, able to recommend beer and wine choices (lots of local selection), and was very knowledgeable about the food. I really appreciated the complimentary mineral water cocktail I was offered to try and help soothe my stomach ache. I also though the amuse bouches and palate cleansers were a nice addition to the meal.
The food was really good, just as we expected. We both had charcuterie platters to start, and enjoyed sampling the house made meats and cheeses. Then my boyfriend and I both chose different house made sausages. I ordered the fish special as my entree, which happened to be sturgeon. I learned that I am not a fan of sturgeon. But it was well prepared in any case. My boyfriend enjoyed his pork entree. Normally I am all about dessert when I go out for dinner, and I was really looking forward to trying something from their menu, but unfortunately I had a really bad stomach ache, so we called it a night.
Overall we had a very good experience, and would definitely eat there again. And get dessert!

Spokane, Washington
“Excellent restaurant and charcuterie”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I have been to Sante several times. Every experience has been great!

It speaks for itself that Sante was invited to the James Beard House. My husband donated on kickstarter to make it happen.

Yes, Sante will cost you more than the average Spokanite fare. However, what you get in return is a fantastic farm to table meal. The charcuterie is outstanding.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Cheryl M
Rolling Hills Estates, California
“As welcome as a fly.....”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We would have eaten here had we had the opportunity. We arrived fom Idaho at 1:53 on a Sunday afternoon after finding the restaurant on Yelp, party of four still dressed from a wedding.
Yelp said lunch was served until 2:00. The hostess/server did not smile, did not offer an "I'm sorry, but.." or "our chef cannot prepare hot meals due o he time but if you order quickly, we can make cold x,y, or z" but said "we only serve coffee and similar after 2" . We have had experiences in Europe and Sustralia where the staff went out of their way to assure we were served, even if quickly, even if a cold meal as opposed to cooked meal when arriving close to deadline. We have had many mor meals where the time of arrival when "open for business" means just that--you are served. Really an offsetting experience from the "hospitality" industry.

• Visited August 2013
katerose37, Owner at Sante Restaurant & Charcuterie, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Hello Bonnie,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience while traveling and celebrating a wedding last weekend. The situation you experienced is extremely rare for our small business on several levels. First of all, we are usually open until at least 4pm on Sundays, that particular weekend more than half of our team was cooking a dinner at the legendary James Beard House in New York. While we were gone, we operated with a minimal menu and staff, and I am extremely sorry the timing intertwined poorly with your festivities and plans. It must have been very disappointing for yourself and your family, and I truly hope you were able to enjoy yourselves elsewhere in our community. I can guarantee that your next trip to our restaurant will be a completely different experience, and would like to send you a gift certificate if you think yourself (or anyone you know) would like to see what we are really about. Please email your address to Mail@SanteSpokane.com if you would like to take me up on this offer. Thank you for taking the time to send this review, you have opened our eyes on a management perspective of what would have been a better operations decision while we were out of town. Take good care, Kate Hansen & the Santé team.