“Relax in Old-world Elegance”

Roberts Mansion Inn & Events
Ranked #1 of 13 Spokane B&B and Inns
Boise
“Relax in Old-world Elegance”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

The Roberts Mansion is my favorite place to stay. Located on a quiet residential street in Spokane's Western Addition, it's a seriously relaxing destination. If you can't live without the breathlessness of modern life, you don't want to be here. This is living as it was 100 years ago: with no rush, a sense of peace and calm, and old-world class. The mansion is three stories above ground with high ceilings, elaborate decor, and marvelously restored and rooms characterized by quaint touches such as push-button light switches, claw-leg bathtubs, down comforters on vast and incredibly comfortable beds, and period furniture. You will just have to notice all the details yourself. There's no way to do them justice in print. There are no phones in the rooms, no televisions and no computers, although a clock radio is provided to help you get up, or listen to classical music or jazz on one of the good music stations in town. Just stuff your cell phone somewhere so it doesn't ever ring. Then lie back and let the stress melt away. In the morning, you can shave in a small sink, bathe or shower, then walk the wooden hall to the long staircase that descends past a two-story high window of colored and bevel-cut glass that catches the sun and casts small rainbows all over the floor. Breakfast is at 9 and it's always plentiful and attractively presented by the warm and competent staff at the very long table in the even longer dining room, where coffee and the morning paper are already waiting for you on the sideboard.

If you want busy hotels and valet parking towers, business centers and fitness rooms, need to rub elbows with trendy people and want a wifi hookup, you will want to go elsewhere. You, and I, will be glad you did. Now for that very quiet and relaxing nap....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Apodictic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Indonesian first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Mary is the greatest host ever! The breakfast was outstanding - filling and delicious - great way to start the day. I was hesitant to stay in a bed in breakfast, but now I am addicted! The atmosphere is warm and elegant - there is a lot of Spokane history (of which Mary is an expert!!!!). The company was friendly and conversation interesting!

I will definitely stay here again and have no reservations!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver BC
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We were just going to stay one night on the way to Yellowstone. We loved the home and the hospitality and stayed another night. Great breakfasts too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I was on my way to Idaho for a wedding and just needed some "me" time. This was the perfect place for it. I stayed in the aptly named "Secret Garden" suite and loved every minute of it! My room was quiet and beautifully appointed. The breakfasts were sublime. The owner, Mary, was attentive and so very interesting to talk to. When I make it back to Spokane, I know exactly where I will be staying!

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank shemargib
Portland Oregon, USA
Reviewed October 23, 2010

My new Wife and I won a free night in the Honeymoon Suite at the Coeur D'Alene Resort (a $500 value) but when we visited it and then EJ Roberts Mansion where we should stay was a no-brainer, and last weekend we spent our first two nights as a couple enjoying a royal stay in our own little sweet at the mansion. The hospitality was amazing, the food was exquisite and the room was immaculate! The Secret Garden Suite we stayed in was even equipped with everything an apartment would be outfitted with. I could not have asked for a better place to spend my first couple nights as a married man. Oh, and elaborating on the food; I have not eaten a more gourmet breakfast . They even won my praise while catering to the demands of my lactose intolerance! My wife and I have a wonderful memory of our fist night together, and we have Mary (the owner), her staff, and the EJ Roberts Mansion to thank for it. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed October 18, 2010

The E.J. Roberts' Mansion is deserving of its name. It is truly a mansion, lovingly restored to its authentic impressive glory. The staff is so attentive that you feel like a cherished long awaited member of the family returning home after an absence. Speaking with Mary, the owner, is a like taking an intriguing history lesson from a devoted professor. She is an enthralling encyclopedia of facts, trivia and gossip of times gone by. The house is stunning, the staff is gracious and charming and the breakfast was an abundant and sumptuous feast. The entire stay was absolutely memorable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
California
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I came to Spokane for a few days to attend a wedding. I found E.J. Roberts Mansion B&B online. When I arrived I was delighted to fine such a well restored home and a wonderfully informed owner who was a great host to her guests.
The room(s) I was in was "The Secret Garden" suite. High ceilings, a sitting area with a bookcase, tables and a comfy sofa awaited me. The bed was great and the kitchenette made my 4 days here quite economical. The Garden (Secret) and the grounds were well kept and there were many places to simply hang out and visit or read.
I must bring my husband back next time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo