“A good stay in Spokane!”

Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
“A good stay in Spokane!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a very Nice hotel, very close to downtown and the Riverfront Park. The construction activities are allmost done and we did not hear them. The rooms are big and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. Very helpfull staff!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Gerda M,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. My staff is amazing and we do strive to provide exemplary service. I hope your travels in the USA are successful and that the next time you are in the Spokane area, please come stay and see our completed project. Be safe.

Lori, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here one night on our way out to Seattle. They are doing a major renovation of this site. It must have been a hotel in the past - it is definitely not the typical Holiday Inn Express. The hotel was in pretty rough shape when we were there. The lobby was a room about 5 feet by 10 feet. They served their "free" breakfast in three makeshift hotel rooms, which was a little weird and crowded with the other guests. There was the typical construction noises going on the entire time - lots of hammering and yelling by construction workers. There is no pool here and no laundry either. The one good thing was the location, it is just a short walk from a nice park and a few good restaurants. If we passed through Spokane again, I think we would pick a different place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear b_bwamu,
Thank you for staying with us. Yes, we are going through a renovation, and I apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you during your stay. With the exception of the electricians and the plaster/stone crew, construction is finished by 4:00 pm. The electricians and the plaster/stone crew are finished around 6:00 pm normally. Also be reminded that the construction is happening all at one end of the hotel which should minimize and noise during the day to the guest rooms. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again after the renovation is completed. I hope your trip to Seattle was successful.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I get that you are under construction, but did you have to put us right next to it? Not cool to have hammering right next to your window before 7am! I looked out the window and saw his leg and the scaffolding. Not the experience I was hoping for.

Other low lights include having to return to the front desk twice because our key card wouldn't work and insist the staff come open it. The questionable elevator left us a bit concerned.

We have been traveling nearly 3 weeks and this us in the bottom 2 hotels for us. Not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Oregonswim,
Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced while staying with us. Our renovation process will not last forever. Even though you have indicated that you will not stay with us again, I would like to personally invite you back when it is finished. We strive to make our service the best in the industry and would like to have the opportunity to win your loyalty. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience so that we can improve our property for all of our guests. Have a great summer.

Piedmont, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It would be easy to downgrade this hotel due to the inconvenience caused by the current major reconstruction project, but that would be unfair. Yes, there is noise, even at 6am. Yes, there is no lobby because that's part of the area being rebuilt. Yes, the breakfast space has been shoehorned into 3 small, cramped rooms. But this is a temporary situation and when I look at our 2 stays there in the past month, overall I have to give the management credit for their efforts and rate the hotel on its underlying strengths. For that it gets my thumbs up.

When we checked in, we found the staff helpful, prompt, efficient, friendly and informative. They gave us a good size king room which had a very comfortable bed - better than we have found at many HI Expresses. They also answered our questions about getting around the town and finding a place for dinner. And when we came back a second time, they made it a point to give us a room as far from the noise of construction as possible.

I also can't say enough about the service in the breakfast buffet. Service, you might ask? Who gets service at a HI Express buffet? Well, at Spokane you do. There were 2 or 3 people bustling around in what is clearly inadequate but temporary space, making sure the buffet was always full, helping guests find what they were looking for, even stopping by individual tables asking if they could bring anything over, such as extra butter. In particular, on both stays, we were hugely impressed by the woman who seemed to be in charge, Dzenana Prozorac, who went out of her way to greet guests and especially welcome the children in the room.

Finally, I really like the location of this hotel. It's on a hill that's a little bit isolated from the rest of downtown, but once across the street, you are in the middle of a bustling small city, starting with the town's Riverfront Park. After a day on the road, a chance to walk in the green of the park, follow the river and the falls, watch people, etc. is a welcome bit of relaxation. And across the park is the center of town, with restaurants and shopping. All of this is within 10 minutes easy walk from the hotel.

If I have a chance to go back to Spokane, I hope to stay here again and see the hotel after the remodeling is done. I'll bet my rating goes up then.

Room Tip: During construction, try to get a room at the other end of the building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind words and great attitude.I do have an amazing staff! I have stayed many places as well and I know that probably the most important influencer for a returning guest is how they were treated. We value our guests and want to make each person's stay as stressfree as possible. I know our guests want to see the project finished but not nearly as much as my staff wants to see it completed. We look forward to sharing the finished project with you!!!!
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were a bit shocked when we pulled into the parking lot to find the hotel was under construction and we had never been informed in our numerous conversations about our room. A room has been converted into the "lobby" it was crowded and uncomfortable to stand in with a bunch of other guests waiting. Our room is nice; however, this hotel is very loud, we could hear people walking above us all night long. In addition, since the hotel was under construction, they moved the breakfast to a couple of regular hotel rooms, which was again congested. We have a child and there was no high chair to be found...ended up going out to breakfast just to avoid the pain the butt of the breakfast buffet here. As I stated above, I expect more quality control from an HIX or at least informing the guest of the status of the hotel. Honestly had we known the hotel was under construction we would have preferred to stay at another location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us! I am so sorry about the congestion you experienced in the breakfast bar area. With the expansion of our lobby and breakfast bar/dining area, we had to temporarily relocate the breakfast bar and dining area to guest rooms. We have done our best to open them up to provide as much flow as possible and still accommodate our guests. Most of the time, the flow works well. I hope that you will give us another chance to impress you once our project is completed. Thank you for sharing.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place is a DUMP!! As a priority club member, I was expecting consistency. As I have learned, not all HIE are created equal. The hotel has remodeled its exterior leaving the visitor to believe the hotel is new. This place is old old old. I was not told of the renovation underway. There is no lobby to speak of - just a desk area with flourescent lights in a converted side entrance to the hotel.

The rooms are small. I have one word about the bathrooms - bathfitter. Cheap bandaid of a remodel. The hotel is an old building and you can hear EVERYTHING in the room above and in the hallways. I don't need to know how often other guests use the toilet! Details like the ice buckets and trash cans reek of hospital tan plastic. The elevator is dirty and almost always had something spilled during my two night stay. The hallways are missing baseboards (I understand they are putting in new carpet and was told it was only on floors 3 and 4- but as I ventured to floor 2 - missing basboards again exposing the glue tracks and dirty carpet).

There are no "grounds" to this hotel as it is built on a hillside. They even have bench seating with trees overgrown on and around them. How old is this place??? The killer was the rate this past weekend. $169.00/night. To think that I chose not to stay at the Davenport for fear the rooms would be too old. I am the fool.

Things that saved the weekend: The staff - far superior than the hotel merits. If only they knew what a decent hotel looked like - they would not have been so surprised when I voiced my opinions of the hotel. The parkside Red Lion was almost across the street. This place was like an oasis when I ventured out for take out. Their rate last weekend, $129.00.

I was offered $20 off my next stay at the same location! I would NEVER NEVER NEVER stay at this location again. Red Lion would get my business in a heartbeat.

I travel multiple times a month for business and this is my first review. I am sad as I write this and hate to insult an establishment but the website is a lie. Even when the new lobby is built, the rooms will still be below standard for a mid-range hotel.

Take heed travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank C B
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear C B,
I am so sorry that you felt that way about your stay. We really are nice people and we really do have a great property and an awesome location. Unfortunately, we can't snap our fingers and have all the property improvements done in a snap. Believe me, if it was that easy, I would have done it by now. There are a lot of people involved in the renovation and we are all working towards an incredible lobby and breakfast bar area. We are also replacing wall vinyl and carpet in the hallways! We are doing all these improvements for guests just like yourself. If we didn't care about you, our valued guest, we wouldn't be working on this project. Again, I am sorry that your experience here was not what you expected. If you would like to call me, I would be glad to discuss these issue with you. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope that you will give us another chance to win your loyalty once this project is complete. Sincerely, Lori
Helena
Reviewed May 16, 2013

For my daughter's university graduation my whole family stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Spokane, Washington. The room was very clean, the staff particularly helpful, and the location perfect. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony looking toward the South Hills area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for the recent graduation. And congratulations to your daughter for that accomplishment! We are all proud of her and the other graduates of 2013! What a joyous time for all graduates and their families. We hope to be a part of that by providing superior service and comfortable accommodations. Please come stay with us again!