“Under Construction”

Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was glad to see that the Ownership was attempting to update the lobby of the hotel. The entrance was under construction while I was here and parking was a premium. The entrance door was temporarily relocated to when someone came in or out and you were sitting at a table in the breafast area you were balsted with the cold Northwest wind blowing in the door. When I got to my room the heat had been turned way down for quite some time. It took a couple hours to heat the room up. I had to put a towel across the bottom of the door to the room to keep the cold draft out that was coming from the stairwell, down the hall and under my door.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask to be located away from stairwells or front entrance to avoid the noise and cold draf...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. I, too, wish the weather was warmer in January in Spokane. I do enjoy the four seasons, but sometimes the cold is bone chilling. I hope that you will come back and visit us again when we finish our construction and the weather warms up a bit. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The location is convenient to downtown Spokane; however, it is not within walking distance to downtown locations, especially in the winter. The friendly staff will shuttle you to any downtown venue. The room was clean and quiet - no surprises. This property has been under construction for a while, and it still has a little bit more to go. The value was great for a downtown location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We value you opinions and share all these comments with our staff. We are in a unique location and weather permitting (which it is most of the time) it is a great stoll to the downtown area if one enjoys that sort of activity. If not, as you indicated, we do have a shuttle available to take our guests downtown in comfort. Our construction is moving right along in spite of the cold temperatures this time of year. It is very exciting to watch the progress; and causes very little disruption to our guests as it only effects the lobby end of the building. I can't wait to share our new lobby and breakfast bar with our valued guests. Please come back and watch the progress!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I love this hotel. Even under construction the management have consistently been able to adapt and provide wonderful service. The rooms are clean, beds comfortable, and it's quiet. The staff are more than accommodating. The hotel offers (not sure the days or times) cookies, wine, beer, breakfast, and surprise!- chili last night. Love it.

Room Tip: I'm not real big on staying near the elevator or ice machine. Other than that I haven't had...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience and using Trip Advisor! We have a monthly staff meeting where I share comments(good and sad) from our guests. We celebrate the good comments and use the sad comments as times to reflect on how we could do things better. Your comments will certainly give us reason to celebrate! The expansion of our breakfast bar and lobby are underway. Since it is expanding out the West end of the building, the rooms are unaffected, making the guest experience in the rooms pleasant as always. Thank you again for staying with us. I hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to Spokane!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Traveling during the holidays can be miserable. This was the best surprise! Don't let the construction fool you. The inside was filled with warmth and great service. The staff went above and beyond. The room was clean, comfortable & QUIET. There was even a gift wrapping room with paper, ribbon, tape and tags. The breakfast was the best I'd seen - with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and Canadian bacon; pancakes, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, etc. and staff to be sure you got what you needed.

One thing that really impressed me was the elevator. There is some kind of air cleaning system, so you smell fresh air instead of cologne from the previous passenger, a real plus if you are sensitive/allergic to scent.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James F
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown. I do have an incredible staff that is ready to do whatever it take to make you happy. Yes, we do have construction going on and you are right, it does not affect the experience once you enter the hotel. We do have a warm cozy lobby and an amazing breakfast. We are all excited to be expanding the lobby and breakfast bar to make our hotel even better. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Spokane. Thank you again!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Normally when we go to Spokane this is our hotel of choice. Well never again will we go to this hotel. Just like many travelers we were on a budget so we decided for the first time to use a coupon that we found in a travel brochure for this hotel. Well when we presented that coupon to the attendant on duty we instantly started getting treated differently. He put us in the worst room ever. We knew there was construction on-going in various parts of the hotel well he put us in one of the rooms located right in the middle of it all. We had plastic over our windows and got woke up before 6am to the crews working in a room above us. We were livid. For 5 years we stayed at the hotel without a glitch but never again. If they want to treat us that differently for using a "coupon" then they don't deserve our business anymore!

Room Tip: Don't use a coupon or you will get a crappy room. And tell them you want a room away from the co...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn S
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for staying with us earlier this year. I am so sorry that your stay was not what you expected it to be. Last winter/early spring did present challenges with the exterior renovation of our building. I do wish you could see it now. It is beautiful! We are on the second phase of our renovation which includes the expansion of our breakfast bar and lobby. The reason that we are constantly upgrading and updating our facility is for you, our valued guest. We are so excited to share it with you. I hope that you will change your mind and come stay with us again, once things are all finished. We would love to serve you and have the chance to once again "impress you".

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great front desk staff at this property! We had paid for a room with a view without realising that this would prevent us from getting an automatic upgrade to a suite. However we requested the suite and got one! We were here 6 days as my husband was on business and I have to say the great service was inconsistent. Only had our bed sheets changed once in that time though so if your fussy.......! Housekeeping staff didn't dust in that time either- I made my point writing in the dust as we departed. Front desk were great every hour of every day! Breakfast crew were great as was the offerings for an HI express. I personally dislike the disposable flatware and cutlery but can live with it for the price! We will return her in the future. Be warned there are massive renovations to the lobby and breakfast room which also affects the car park. If this will bother you check when you book for the next three months. It will be fabulous when its done!

Room Tip: You will hear the highway wherever you are!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sarah Q
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Yes, renovations are underway! We are so excited to be expanding and updating our lobby and breakfast bar. With this renovation, parking can get tight on high occupancy evenings. We do have a parking lot below the hotel that can be utilitized during this time. We can either park your car for you, or shuttle you back up the hill. I must apologize for the inconsistency that you experienced in particular with housekeeping. I will address this with my housekeeping staff right away so that it does not effect your next stay in the same way. Thank you for staying with us and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

So many hotel's have a cookie cutter feel to them. This Holiday Express had a lot of character and did not remind you that you were staying in a "chain." The staff was very accommodating and friendly. They had lot's of suggestions for good local places to eat that fit any budget. The buffet was lovely in the morning, as were the servers. They were doing construction but worked around it nicely, and the noise didn't interfere. Our room faced the river/city and had a lovely view. The only suggestion I would make is that they upgrade the work out room to having facilities with TV's attached, rather than just one television to view. The room itself was small, but clean and had a variety of workout equipment. The warm cookies and milk in the evening was icing on the cake! Awesome place to stay and I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a river/city view if you can, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for staying with us!! We appreciate you choosing us with so many options in the market. I do have an amazing staff! We are always looking at ways to improve our hotel and your suggestions will be taken to heart. We are very excited to be expanding and remodeling our lobby and breakfast bar. I know it will be a big improvement! Please come stay with us again and watch our progress and/or experience the final project!