“Nice hotel if you are staying in the area.”

Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
Nampa, Idaho
“Nice hotel if you are staying in the area.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is very nice and close to a lot of shopping and dining if you are going to be in that area. For us, it was not the best choice as we were in the area for seeing the Columbia River Gorge and it was a bit of a drive on busy highways.

The rooms was nice and the staff very friendly. Breakfast is typical for HIE but in a very large dining space.

Room Tip: We asked for a top floor in a quiet location with a nice view. We had to wait and hour, but it was w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and make recommendations for other travelers. We absolutely have an incredible staff! And the location is very unique. There is no where else in Spokane that provides the great views from our perspective. It is so close to downtown and yet, above the hustle bustle of the city. We watching over the next few months for our expanded lobby and dining area as well as our new patio. Thank you for staying with us and please come see us again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two days. I found the staff helpful and gave me the room that I preferred. The room was clean and does not have an odor. The view from my room was okay. I can't say anything about the breakfast because I never had the chance to eat there. The only thing though that kept me from giving a 5 was the presence of cobwebs in the lamps! I will still come back here though and hopefully will not see any cobwebs anywhere in my room.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us! Please accept my apology for the cobwebs in your lamp. We will give attention to that detail right away. I hope you had a great stay in Spokane. And I hope that you will come stay with us again!
So Cal
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is one of the nicest looking (from the outside) Holiday Inn Express I've ever stayed in. The interior however, doesn't seem to have been renovated as the carpets and paint do not seem to be new looking. Good location in downtown though, within walking distance of the Riverfront Park. We were there when they had the Pig Out in the Park event so that was fun to check out.

Staff was very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were very nice with large flat screen t.v., comfy beds, etc. Breakfast though was pretty bad. I went down to breakfast half an hour before it was suppose to end so I didn't expect all the food to be gone. Either that or they didn't have much. While the pancake machine was nice, they were down to one very bruised banana that were no longer edible. There was only milk and no yogurt. I've always seen yogurt available at other Holiday Inn Expresses. Juice variety was okay but really watered down so it tasted more like water with a little bit of juice. I know it's half an hour before the end of breakfast but it would be nice if they didn't run out of food. The lady working there was working really hard already so maybe they need another person helping out to restock? So breakfast definitely needs improvement.

One other thing, the A/C was really noisy and would turn on every few minutes. Very disruptive to a restful night of sleep so we ended up leaving our window open instead (nice balcony though). Surprisingly, for a holiday morning, there was a lot of traffic noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience at our breakfast bar. I want you to know that this is not the norm. We do pride ourselves on creating a great experience for everyone no matter how busy we are. I do have good news! This fall/winter we will be updating the interior of the hotel including hallways, lobby and breakfast bar. It does include the expansion of our public areas. We are very excited for this project to not only get started but to be completed so that we can share it with you! Please come stay with us again and see our progress and improvement!
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel was unwilling to accommodate my family's two cars, despite having 21 empty parking spots due to a bus load of people in the hotel. They didn't try to help or assist. It wouldn't be a big deal, but traveling across the country with all I your possessions, pets, and two kids (one with special needs), and then being told to park one car blocks away in a pay lot is not a great way to end a day of driving.

• Stayed August 2012
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry about the parking situation while you were here. Please accept my sincere apology. Most of the time, parking is not an issue, and parking is always free. There are occasions when we ask those guests with multiple cars to park one vehicle in the pay lot right next to our parking lot so that we can be fair to all of our guests. However, we also try to make it right by providing shuttle back to the front door and accommodation for the parking fee. If these were not provided to you, again, I apologize and ask that you please contact me at the hotel so that I can make that happen for you. I hope the rest of your stay was satisfactory and that your trip was successful! I would like to invite you back and give us a chance to make things right.
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We typically stay at Holiday Inn Express because of convenient locations, value, breakfast, and consistency in amenities. This was the best experience we've had at an Express! The staff is terrific ... and make you feel that they really care about your stay (we received a nice follow-up note a couple of weeks later). Since the hotel is on a promontory, the view from our balcony was terrific with the Spokane River just across the street. A short walk gets you to the river park (cite of the 1974 World' Exposition), with beautiful views of Spokane falls and river.

Stayed July 2012
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing!! I must say that my favorite thing next to my amazing staff is the great location. We do have great views especially of the Spokane River and the downtown area. We are right on the outskirts of the downtown corridor making getting here and leaving very easy. My staff can also make great recommendation on how to get places as they are all trained as Certified Tourism Ambassadors and make great recommendations from their knowledge and personal experiences. In other words we are very close to everything downtown has to offer without being right in the midst of the downtown hustle bustle. Thank you again and please come stay with us again!
dmk-canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We loved this hotel! After traveling for 3 weeks and staying in all sorts of hotels this was our favorite. Very friendly staff, cute bulldog behind the counter, best breakfast ever, queen beds instead of double, great location to downtown Spokane.
We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor audience. We hope to create an atmosphere of comfort and safety for our guests so that one can relax and feel at home during their travel. We have a great staff that is empowered to do whatever it takes to make that happen for each guest. I would like to invite you back to stay with us again if your travels bring you to our area! Thank you, again!
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying that for years when we came to Spokane, we stayed at the Davenport. It will seem funny to some - but my wife and I both now prefer the Holiday Inn "On the Rock."

We had become disenfranchised with the Davenport giving less, and expecting more. We decided to give the HI a try. We love it! We are just completing our second stay this month!

Let me be clear - the staff doesn't wear uniforms and white gloves. There aren't people to hold the door, park your car, or plan your day. There isn't an overpriced gift shop, salon, or five star restaurant on property. This isn't that hotel.

What is it then? It's beautiful property with a conscientious, well trained staff. It's a down to earth, generous business that honestly works hard to treat people well - very well. They aren't just going through the motions, they have an obvious commitment to this.

Examples? Free breakfast - the best free hotel breakfast you are likely to find. I should also mention that the woman in charge of the breakfast room is AMAZING. She is beyond efficient, and you won't find a nicer person - and amazingly her sweet demeanor is completely unaffected by the largest stampede of free breakfast grazers you can throw at her! Wait.. There's more. Not just free breakfast, on many evenings they offer a free "light" dinner (which on some nights is a full meal, like the BBQ we enjoyed last night), free beer and wine, free fresh baked cookies and milk in the evenings before bed, and they maintain free coffee service 24/7 and an endless candy dish!

Seriously? Yes. This is the most giving business I've seen in a very long time.

Ok, so they give some free food. What about the hotel? The rooms? The property is very clean and nice. Again though, this is not the type of hotel you are going to walk into your room and ooh and hah at the marble tile, mahogany millwork, four headed steam shower, or fully stocked mini bar - complete with $12 peanuts. That is not even what they aspire to be. It's a great room. The beds are comfortable, there is a flat panel tv with direct tv service, a mini fridge, a microwave, and all of the other things you would expect to find in a quality hotel.

No, the HI does not have a pool or hot tub, and the fitness center is basic - but it doesn't need those things. I don't know about you, but when I come to a hotel, I'm usually not there to hang out "on property" all day.

We travel a lot around the NW, and I'm serious when I say, that this is the best property of its type in the region (large, multiple room, full service, fully staffed properties in the under $200 price range... I'm actually pretty sure even a sweet would go that high).

Did I mention that the property is DOG FRIENDLY!?! It is! They even have their own live-in bulldog- Bebe!

So if you are a dog hater, don't come - besides nobody likes a dog hater anyways ;)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fatbassman
Thank you so much for the great comments! That is truly an accurate assessment of the comparison of some full service hotels and our limited service hotel. I, too, seek out Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel because of the consistency of the product. Couple that with an amazing staff, and one is in for a great experience at the Holiday Inn Express "On the Rock". I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon. Our staff is on a mission, and that is to Impress our guests! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience!