WINNER WONDERLAND

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Dated and Claustrophobic with Indifferent Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Doubletree was a really poor choice on our part for a romantic weekend getaway. My husband paid extra to get a corner room both for the space and for what we had thought would be a nice view of the river/city. We didn't get either. The bathroom was so tiny that it was unusable without the door fully closed (I have had larger bathrooms in Manhattan). The bathtub felt super cramped (and I am only 5' tall). The tacky pinky beige 1970s era tiles and peeling wallpaper throughout the space did not help. Our "view" was of the convention center rooftop and HVAC equipment/ducting; we could only see a bit of sky from the top third of the windows. The ceilings were low and the lighting in the room was very dim even with all the lamps turned on. The room was not at all comfortable despite the really nice beds and somewhat updated bedroom area.

The cramped space was made worse by indifferent service. On our first morning, I went down for coffee and asked when it had been brewed. The waiter replied 30 minutes ago so I asked when there would be fresher coffee made. The reply was that "this is as as fresh as it gets" and that there were no plans to brew a fresh pot anytime soon. I decided then to skip not only coffee but any meals at the hotel given this attitude. It was a nice walk to a nearby Starbucks and downtown Spokane has some wonderful places to eat (Churchills, PF Changs, etc).

That same indifferent and uncaring attitude was also displayed by the hotel clerks. The elevators were not working properly on our second day. The desk clerk told a guest to "just wait a while for the next one". The guest was frustrated as he told me he had already spent more than 10 minutes waiting and didn't want to walk up 8 flights of stairs. An elevator finally came as guests continued to arrive and congregate near the elevators. The desk clerk continued to ignore everyone.

The Doubletree's location in downtown Spokane was nice but next time I will stay across the river at a newer and nicer hotel. The rooms across the river are cheaper, newer, and don't charge for parking,

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was sorry to see that you weren’t happy with your guestroom during your recent trip to Spokane. We try to accommodate all reservations but occasionally we can’t meet every room request. I would also like to apologize that you found your guest room to be dated and for the level of service we delivered during your stay. Your feedback will be reviewed with our team so we can improve our guest experience.
Thanks again and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Coeur d Alene, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I purchased an Instant Getaway package, along with a couple additional purchased amenities that were all supposed to be in the room prior to check-in. I was planning a romantic night for myself and my husband and nothing was in the room when we got there. I both called AND went down to the lobby asking where my things were, and was promised them to be delivered "ASAP". ASAP was about an hour later. They did reduce my rate at time of check-out, which was nice, but after that experience, practically required. After all, it was the HOTELS mess up. They could have made the experience worthwhile by doing something a little extra special for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel! Please accept my apologies for your experience during your stay. As I mentioned to you in my response to you directly, these items will be discussed with our staff, and we will work to correct them going forward. Our goal is always to provide the best, most accommodating service possible, and I regret that we failed to do so in your case. I hope you'll come back and give our hotel a second chance if your travels bring you back to our area. Thank you for your review.
Lewiston, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Ask for Cici at breakfast. She will brighten the start of your day. superb menu. Overall, a well-kept hotel but dated. Bathrooms smallish, unit air-conditioners. These are offset buy spectacular riverside views. Handy to Opera House and Conventon Center. Valet service is as accommodating as you'll find, although pricey for Spokane at $18.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years, and it has always been a great place to stay, IMHO, because its rooms are remarkably free of outside noise and it is easy to get a good night's sleep. That said, the in-room AC during this most recent stay was loud and clunky, and the room and bathroom, while kept very clean, is just OLD. The tile work in the bathroom really cracked me up, as I seem to recall it being the same, exact tile in MY bathroom - that had been laid back in 1969! Some of the tiles in the design were that distinct "very Brady Bunch" avocado. Ah, good times!

I would, however, suggest you take MY observations [at least those concerning ambient noise] with a grain or 2 of salt; I have become VERY sound-sensitive over the past 10 years and wear earplugs to bed as a general rule. Another person may well not notice the sounds from the AC at all, and sounds aside, the AC really works well - it was nearly an ice box when I first checked in!

The hotel's overall condition and my personal experience relative to my room earned a score of "4".

The reason, though, for the rating of "3" was that when I arrived, I pulled my car up adjacent to the hotel entrance, as the parking spots especially for guests just arriving to register, and the parking attendant made it a point to rush over to me and order me to move - really a quite rude tone. Fortunately, at just that same time, one of the registration spots opened up. The guy was a total jerk and singularly earned a point reduction for the hotel.

Room Tip: Unclear. The rooms are, generally, comfortable from what I can tell from my many stays here. You mig...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Spokane experience. I was glad to see that you are one of our regulars but sorry to hear that your AC unit was loud. I would also like to apologize for the bathroom and for the service our bellman delivered. I have shared that encounter with the manager so we can work with the team to prevent it from reoccurring in the future.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.
Spokane, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My last stay was in conjunction with a Convention. The staff was very accommodating and friendly, and I found the place to be more than clean and comfortable enough. My only real gripe is that they do not offer complimentary parking, one of the few places I've ever encountered that doesn't. On a personal note: If you ever get to feeling a bit cramped while there, and want to get out without having to actually get out, the Third floor has an access to the skywalk/concourse linking the Convention Center. It's a very tranquil, climate controlled area with a wonderful view of RiverFront Park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for a graduation event. If you're looking for a solid hotel with amenities but don't need high end ambiance or fancy bells & whistles, this is the place.
-- Clean, spacious rooms.
-- Decent rates.
-- Great location. Walking distance to shopping & restaurants.
-- Helpful staff, although they could have been friendlier.
-- Restaurant downstairs has good breakfast. Since it was the last day of our stay, we table camped a bit and the servers great (pouring lots of coffee and checking on us without making us feel rushed).
-- Love, love, love the "welcome" cookies they give out when you check in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Monroe, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Our reservation was messed up and the four of us were put in a room with only a double bed and a twin roll away. The next morning when I tried to get it corrected I was told that our reservation was only for one person and only for one night, so now we no room for the the second night. By the time I found the reservation confirmation they must have found their mistake because they then changed their story. They moved us to a suite, and comped our breakfast and parking which made the second night much more comfortable. The outdoor pool was nice and the location is great. Overall I would say one bad night and one good night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family