“Super convenient location in downtown Spokane”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Super convenient location in downtown Spokane”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is in the heart of downtown Spokane, next to the river walk and the convention center. Within a few blocks you have all the shopping and conveniences you could need. My visit included an event at the convention center which is adjacent. The hotel provided airport shuttle service which was very convenient.

The room decor is functional rather that super stylish. The bed was super comfortable with plenty of pillows. Linens were fresh clean and soft. The bathroom in my room had a small maintenance issue where caulking was missing between the basin and the backsplash and was dirty/moldy. Nothing that really bothered me, but may some.

The television was nice, however the remote would not change the channels so I had to have another delivered by maintenance. They were quick and apologetic. I also used the iron and ironing board which both worked well.

The rooms heater woke me up several times as it sounded like a diesel truck starting up so I just turned it off.

I used the workout room which was nice, with 3-4 treadmills, free weights, yoga matts and ball. There were plenty of towels and drinking water as well.

I ate at the Shutters restaurant twice and the food was well prepared. The Breakfast Burrito is yummy as is the breakfast bar if you like lots of choices. Servers were excellent!

I would stay again for the clean comfy room, convenient location, and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Because of the configuration, I imagine that most rooms have a great view. Check for anything that i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Spokane experience. I was happy to see that we quickly resolved your issue with the TV but sorry to hear that we did not get to look at your heating unit. You may also be happy to hear that we will be increasing the size of our fitness room this summer by about one third. This will allow one additional piece of equipment and give more floor space.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Lewiston, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here several times. Each time has been a great experience. The views from any of the rooms are wonderful, but we do enjoy the river view the most. From the moment we pull in the staff is friendly and helpful. We really enjoy the warm soft cookie at check in to munch on as we head to our room. The bathrooms could be a bit roomier, but the room makes up for that short coming.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your great comments, it means a lot coming from a return guest. I agree with you about the excellent views but change my mind about which side I like best. Seeing the sunrise on the southeast side or looking towards downtown at dusk is also quite nice.
Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you soon.
A small town in Northwest Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

It is located next to the river with walking / biking trails- adjacent to the convention center and an easy walk to the mall, movies, restaurants and worlds fair river park.
The location is awesome but also a steakhouse on site or Chili's and Azteca across the street. Fast Eddies bar a block down. Tall hotel with great views. Only negative is parking costs. It is twice the red lion and the Marriott are free.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay here in Spokane. I am happy to see that you enjoyed all our location to offer including the neighborhood restaurants and bars.
We hope to see you back soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel was very nice for a business stay. My room was large and the cleaning staff did a great job each day. They serve coffee/tea in a kiosk in the lobby which was so convenient. It is a little dated if you are concerned about decor (but not run-down at all). Try the steakhouse restaurant in the lobby. It is quite good and they have some super happy hour specials on drinks and food. Room service is also very quick!

Room Tip: My room was on the 4th floor overlooking the entrance. It was still very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great feedback about your recent stay here in Spokane. It was nice to see the great comments about our restaurant's and room service. I will also make sure to pass on your compliments to our housekeeping team, their work behind the scenes is so important.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mabton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The beds were very comfortable with lots of pillows. The shower had great water pressure. The internet was free which is always a bonus. The service fromt he staff was exceptional and they offered warm chocolate chip cookies on arrival!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to share your DoubleTree by Hilton experience. It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay and not a surprise to see that you are one of the many fans of the DoubleTree Cookie.
Hope to see you back in Spokane soon.
Ephrata, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The DoubleTree is a beautifully constructed 14 story, tri-flange, hotel located on the Spokane Convention Center grounds, next to Riverfront Park, on the Spokane River. If you are paying full price for your room, you should definitely request/demand a room with a view of the park. It is gorgeous in all seasons. I was not so lucky, as you will hear later. The check-in was pleasant with a special cookie (chocolate chip & walnut) for each guest, but since no one in my group likes walnut cookies, the service was mostly wasted on us. I know it is silly, but whenever I go to Boise, I regularly stay at the Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) because they always have a fresh plate of warm cookies at the check-in counter. The main difference here is the HGI has 4 different kinds of cookie (which includes my favorite – White Chocolate &Macadamia Nut with Caramel Swirls), not just the one that is the specialty of their internal restaurant, and the plate is open so that you can have more than one without having to ask. The check-in counter is in a central location of the hotel, so it is easy to find your way to any of their services, once check-in is complete. There are two and a half eating establishments in this hotel, so food is rarely an issue. The hotel is the site for Spencer’s, an upscale steakhouse that offers valet parking (with a sign stating that valet is complimentary for Spencer’s patrons). The other restaurant and a half consists of a standard restaurant which servers the basic three meals, has a salad bar, and provides Starbucks drinks at the checkout counter. I did not patronize any of the eating facilities, so I will not comment on them. After check-in I took my bags to the room. I rented at room with a single queen bed which was on the sixth floor and (since I paid a discount price of $104 pretax, which is normally $129 pretax, $25 discount) it was facing West Spokane Boulevard (city and road noise) directly above the Roof Top Units (HVAC units that are mounted on the roof so that they don’t cause noise inside). Being directly above the RTUs was not so bad, since I was so close to the boulevard, the traffic/city noise thoroughly overpowered the RTUs. The layout of the room was well designed with a rotating flat screen TV which could be viewed from the bed, couch, or desk. However, the furniture style was not very comfortable (they chose style over comfort), so I chose not to spend much time in the room, and all of the TV time was spent from the bed. In order to dull out the roadway/city noise at most hotels, I turn on the HVAC fan to “Low” for some nearby ambient white noise. This setting was not available, and I could only turn the fan on to heat or cool the room. Needless to say, the room got very cold, trying to keep the fan going long enough so that I could fall asleep. I did not complain about this, but did offer the advice to the DoubleTree that they either modify the HVAC fan to stay on without Heat/Cool, or be able to provide fans to the guests. I guess, I will see what they decided to do when I stay here again. The bathroom was plenty large and comfortable, with great towels, but, as most chain hotels, had a horrible showerhead called the Anystream, by Speakman. I don’t know how “any” the stream is supposed to be, but I have never had a shower with an Anystream that was enjoyable. Maybe the shower heads are always old and caked with hard water, but they never seem to give a full straight flow without a loose stream that sprays you right in the face. However, the fact that the very hot water didn’t run out for 15 minutes, was a great way to make up for the showerheads ineffectiveness. Once showered and checked in, I tried to make my way to the pool, but found that it is outdoors (which must be amazing in the summer) and is currently closed (stay was April 11, 2013) for the season. I thought about trying the hot tub (which was supposedly open) but decided otherwise and headed out to see the surrounding area. The Riverfront Park is gorgeous (despite the turf rehabilitation that was going on) and was even more enjoyable since there was a beautifully asphalted running/biking path that runs for miles along the Spokane River (on both sides). I only followed the path for a mile to the East and back, but it was very relaxing. Just a note: I believe the pathway is closed after dark, so plan accordingly. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and would stay here again for any activities that I am attending at or near the Convention Center. However, if I pay full price for my stay, I will request/demand a room that is adjacent to the Riverfront Park. This hotel really sets itself apart from its competitors with its location.

1 Thank Cort A
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments about your stay here in Spokane. First, let me apologize for not having an alternate cookie available at check-in, we typically have no-walnut options but it sounds like we must have run out. I would also like to apologize for the noise levels in your room; while our location is downtown is one of our greatest assets we do on occasion deal with some of the downtown noises.

I am not sure of your next visit but we are looking into some options with our HVAC units although not sure if they will be replaced at this time. I am also sharing your comments about the shower head with our maintenance department to see if there is anything we can look at to make sure the operate correctly.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.
Los Alamitos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Breakfast and staff are great
Happy Hour at Spencers is a great value - Bar attendants are excellent!
Rooms are nothing special - could use updating
Bedding is nice and clean extra towels provided if requested.
A bit noisy in the mornings.

Room Tip: I stayed in the same room twice - Corner view is nice and sunny
1 Thank Tweetvoice
Thank you for passing on your comments about your recent stay here in Spokane. I was glad to see that you enjoyed our restaurants and our great staff. I do apologize for any inconvenience that the noise in the morning caused and if it is something that we can control we would like to hear from you if it reoccurs on your next trip.
Thanks again and hope to see you soon.