“not up to Doubletree standards”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We checked in for one night on the way back to Seattle from Glacier National Park. The staff was friendly, check in was quick, cookies were great. Now for the rest of the story. The room we had was spacious, but the bathroom was small and in desperate need of renovation. The sink was so low that it could have worked in a handicapped accessible room, except there was no space for a wheelchair. The countertop and shower had cracked tile and mold/mildew was evident. The mattress and pillows were extremely soft and didn't provide needed support. And for the best part, we were awakened at 3 AM by the smoke detector going off in our room (it works very well, by the way) due to the dust being burned off the heating unit. Amazingly, no one called or checked on the fact that the detector had gone off. I would assume that the front desk has a way to monitor such things. In the morning, we asked to speak to the manager, who listened sympathetically and agreed that our experience was not acceptable. He did credit us with bonus honors points and comped the valet parking fee, so that was appreciated. However, the standard that we expect from the name Doubletree was definitely not in evidence in this hotel. My initial thought was that this room had not been used in quite some time and not checked before being rented out, but the manager confirmed that they had been sold out multiple nights in the last month, so obviously housekeeping is an issue. It is unfortunate that this hotel does not live up to expectations, since the location is convenient to the park, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our property during your stay in our area. We are very sorry for your experience with our smoke alarm and for any inconvenience it caused you. I thank you for bringing your concerns to us so that we could correct the situation. Please know that we have addressed the heating unit in your room with our maintenance team and have asked our housekeepers to pay special attention to dust that may build up on the units. We hope that you give us another opportunity to provide the experience you expect the next time you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center

998 - 1,004 of 1,174 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Only here for one night but the hotel more than exceeded my expectations. The service and rooms were excellent and the location is very convenient. The internet was free and i really liked the warm choco chip cookie they gave me on check in.

Well done Double Tree!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great location, rooms on the higher floors have a beautiful view of the park and river. Typical Doubletree rooms w/comfortable beds, but watch out for extra charges for parking, internet, etc. Early AM airport shuttle driver was incredibly friendly and helpful, he made a 4:25am ride very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a beautiful river view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Spokane. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and our great location. It was also no surprise to see your comments about our morning shuttle driver. I am not sure which one you are referring to but it could have been any of them that work that shift, they all seem to have that early morning charm.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Checking in was a good experience, nicole was incredibly kind and got us squared away quickly. We have a dog so it was nice that we could stay somewhere nice... and our dog loved the room too. We were on the 8th floor and had a good view of the city. We were facing away from the evening sun so it was nice not to have it glaring into our room. Overall experience was wonderful, then we went to check out and the guy at the desk was rude to us. But hey, room was great and spacious. Will definitely be going back! Cookies you get when you check in are delicious!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

It looks like most of the rooms have river views. I always get a good one up on the 15th floor as I'm Hilton Diamond (btw, they've stopped giving diamonds free parking, we have to pay half or $6/nt now).

I've tried the Davenport, but keep returning to the DT when I'm in Spokane.

Room Tip: ask for a good river view, the hotel is shaped so that most have it, but it's better on high flo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astrolake

Thank you for sharing your comments about the hotel and our views. You are right, more than half of the building offers river views that are quite popular and the rest are city views that many enjoy as well.
Thanks again and I really appreciate your loyalty.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Pros
- Good central location, especially if you are going to the convention center
- free wifi for all and upgraded high-speed for Golds and Diamonds
- friendly and helpful staff (for the most part)

Cons
- Very small standard rooms
- poor housekeeping (filthy bathroom)
- uncomfortable pillows and noisy A/C

I was traveling on personal business with my family and stayed here recently for one night. I am a Hilton Gold and although my experience with the Doubletree brand is limited, the majority of decent reviews on tripadvisor led me to choose this. i know this is an older property that has gone through some different hands, but I thought with the Hilton backing it would be a good choice. Unfortunately, this is a very dated building and the room really was a disappointment.

On the positive side, the location is great for Spokane if you want to be central and walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants and the river. Although I did not get a chance to experience them, apparently the pool and grounds are quite nice as well.

For my stay though, the problems began with at check-in with an indifferent staff member. I had made some requests in advance (bassinet in the room) which had been reconfirmed that i still needed to go down and re-request. Apparently the hotel was fairly full so I was not given an upgraded room (not a big deal) but the room we had was really quite shocking for an upscale brand. The bassinet barely fit in the room between the bed and the wall. Our bathroom was really bad with moldy tiles and dust and grime all over the vents. The carpet was stained and the pillows felt very soft and lumpy with no support. The hotel still has the popcorn ceiling along with a noisy wall A/C unit and it felt more like a lower-end motel. Not a good impression of DoubleTree and certainly not worth the price they charged.

That said, there were some good points, the staff in the restaurant were delightful and very helpful. When I checked out and was asked how the stay was, I mentioned my disappointment and they immediately cut the bill in half without my asking. The staff member notified the head of housekeeping as well to make sure my concerns would be addressed for the next guest.

To sum up, this is not Seattle or Los Angeles so I know that perhaps my expectations should be tempered, especially considering the property has been around for a long time. On the other hand , as one of the highest rated hotels in Spokane and with the Hilton backing, this property could certainly use a lot of work to make itself worthy of the name.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Mike M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Spokane City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Spokane. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel appearance and service help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. We’re very sorry your stay with us did not live up to expectations. We work diligently to provide a clean and comfortable environment for our guests and we are disappointed to hear we dropped the ball. Please know that the issues you mentioned with the housekeeping and air conditioner noise are being addressed with our team to prevent similar issues in the future. Thank you again for your review and please feel free to share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

As mentioned in previous reviews, the location of this property is fantastic. It is right along the riverfront with extremely easy access to a walking/biking trail and downtown, close to several restaurants, some bars, a few boutique shops, a bookstore, a nice grocery co-op, and the Riverfront Park mall. Located inside the lobby is a Starbucks kiosk, but since there is only one barista, it can be quite hectic and a bit of a wait in the mornings.

The front desk staff are very professional and welcoming, especially Manal. The rooms are pretty nice, especially the ones on the top floor with a view of the river. I agree with a previous poster about the bathrooms being small. A majority of the issue is that the bathroom doors swing inwards, so you have to maneuver to avoid being pushed into the toilet.

The garage can be a bit scary at night, since it is separate from the hotel, but it is fairly well lit. The room service is prompt and friendly. I have stayed here on numerous occasions and definitely recommend this place to anyone needing a place to stay in Spokane.

Room Tip: ask for a riverfront view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business