“Very nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Quality Inn Oakwood
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We arrived and found our room. Very nice. King size bed, NICE SITTING AREA, bathroom is nice except the shower faucet is kinda broken. It works but isnt quite secure. TV nice size, dresser drawers are deep but isnt large enough for both of our clothes. They clean every day. Noise level is not very quite. We can hear several people in the hall talking and laughing.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Beth Anne S, General Manager at Quality Inn Oakwood, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us recently and taking the time to submit a review. We appreciate it! I will make sure our maintenance department replaces the shower head - thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you back on your next trip to Spokane!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bigfork, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

True story. We received a call from a friend (G) who has very little money and no credit card so another friend (D) had booked this hotel for her on his credit card. When she went to check in with her teenage daughter and son (the kids were going to be attending NBC Camps at Whitworth and the Mom was speaking to the coaches) she did not have a credit card to pay for the room but she had cash. They would not accept cash as payment for the room. I’m not kidding. She could not get in touch with friend D so she called us to see if we could use our credit card. We were glad to do that for her. It was explained to me by the clerk at the desk that it is the hotel policy not to accept cash. So then we were going to give them our credit card. The next of many hotel policies we were told about was that they don’t accept credit card numbers over the phone. I will admit that my blood did start boiling now and I was talking very firmly to the hotel clerk as I was more disgusted with the policies and the fact that the manager has done such a great job of implementing and enforcing policies that they can’t adjust to a different situation (like someone having cash). After a verbal tussle we figured out a plan that when we got home in two hours they could fax us a form that asked for credit card information and we could fill it out and send it back. Right. Done. When we got home I filled out the form with Name, Address, Phone number, Credit card information but I did not want to write down my driver’s license number (simply see it as unnecessary for them to have that). I also did not make a photo copy of my license and credit card that the form asked for. We faxed the form back and a few minutes later I get a call. You got it, “it is our policy to have photo I.D. I asked, does that mean she can’t stay there? She said “yes, it is our policy”. Mind you, this is for a mom who is extremely meek, friendly, pleasant, petite, attractive, and has given cash to hold the room until the credit card transaction is done. I’m sorry, I lost it at that point. I told the clerk to go ahead and kick her out. If that’s the policy and I’m not going to abide by the driver’s license policy then do what you must. I called my friend G and told her they were going to kick her out. The clerk called G and told her that her friend (me) wanted them to kick her out of the hotel but they were not going to because she’s been there two hours already. How gracious of them. Amazing truly. This place is run by a governmental like bureaucrat who has his minions whipped into shape to uphold policy over people. If that makes for a great hotel fantastic but I’m not staying there again (and I have stayed before two times but it was a long time ago). I would stand by this story in a court of law and my wife listened and can bear witness to it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank echolakeguy
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and disappointment in the way you were treated by our staff and in our procedures. It is through comments such as this that we can improve our service. I first want to apologize that you or your friend were made to feel that our procedures were more important than making them feel welcome, appreciated, and taken care of. That should never be the case and as Manager that is my responsibility and I will address that with our staff.
I would like to clarify our procedures and why they are in place. It is true, we only accept debit/credit card payments at check in. I think you will find that this is a common practice at most metropolitan area hotels and is in place to increase the safety and security of our guests and employees. Some customers prefer to pay cash, but most have either a debit or credit card they are able to use at check in, and then can pay cash at check out. While this policy is not perfect, it rarely creates an inconvenience. However, in your case it did and I apologize. In terms of our requirements for accepting credit card payments when the card holder is not present - we do take our responsibility to prevent identity theft and credit card fraud very seriously. If the card holder cannot be present for us to verify id and authorize charges, we do have procedures in place to protect both the card holder and the hotel. I hope you can understand the importance of this procedure and why we ask that the form be filled out in its entirety. As we all know, credit card fraud is a significant issue.
I will work with my staff to make sure we are better able to explain the reasoning for these procedures. I hope your friend was still able to enjoy her trip and stay after such a frustrating start. I again would like to apologize for how you were treated and I assure you the issue will be addressed with our staff. As I hope you can see, there are sound reasons for our procedures - but it's all in the delivery - we can and will do better. Thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we can do so.
Beth Anne
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

All the positive reviews of this property are accurate. We booked last minute and Sally was super helpful at setting up the booking, answering questions and at a very nice price. The hotel was quiet, comfortable. The cookies offeered upon arrival were a big hit with the kids!
I had some time critical legal documents that had to be scanned and sent. There were problems with format, and Miranda was godsend. She was patient and helped me on this time critical issue, even while manning the desk. It is worth noting, while seated at the computer in the lobby I could overhear all her interation with guests. Class act, professional and glad we followed tripadvisor's recommendations for this hotel . Would stay at this property again due to the staff especially Miranda.

1 Thank monyetbesar
Beth Anne S, General Manager at Quality Inn Oakwood, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
WOW! Thank you very much for staying with us AND for this great review. We agree - both Sally and Miranda are great team members - we are very lucky to have them and many other great employees serving our guests. I will make sure that I share the kudos with Miranda and make sure she knows how much we appreciate her hard work and great service. Thank you!
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed here with our granddaughter's ball team and we were somewhat disappointed at the continental breakfast (so many now offer a hot breakfast of omelettes, scrambled eggs, etc.)...this one offered cold hard boiled eggs...yuk. The Lobby area is somewhat small for groups who would like to gather and another area wasn't offered...noise from other rooms and hallways was really loud! Towels felt like sandpaper and coffee was like dishwater...and price was not comparable to our stop in Bonner's Ferry at the Best Western...no comparison.

Room Tip: Nope, I have nothing.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Beth Anne S, General Manager at Quality Inn Oakwood, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to complete a review. We appreciate your feedback. I apologize that you did not fully enjoy your stay. We take your concerns seriously and will take steps to improve our amenities for future stays. I do have good news. We have been listening to customer feedback and in a few weeks will start offering a more extensive hot breakfast on weekends that includes scrambled eggs and sausage.
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at the Quality Inn Oakwood. We had a regular 2 queen bed room that came with a refrigerator and microwave. The room was very clean and towels were well stocked. The beds were comfy, but the bedding was very thin, felt like I just had a sheet covering me. The rooms were very quiet. We could only here a door slam once in a while, and the hotel was filled with kids for a ball tournament. The breakfast was your average continental breakfast, every thing was fresh. Also, the staff is very friendly and had complimentary water and granola bars when we checked in, and when we came back in at night, there was fresh baked cookies. We will defiantly be staying here on all our trips back to Spokane, as we travel there frequently to visit my parents. Visited June 13-15, 2014 room 322

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Beth Anne S, General Manager at Quality Inn Oakwood, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to complete a review regarding your stay. We appreciate your business and were thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay. We'll look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to your parents.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many many tines over the years and it has always been superb! On one occasion I had mixed up my dates and arrived the weekend before I had reservations for - that particular weekend happened to also be the graduation for students at a local school or university so unfortunately there were no available rooms at this hotel or any of the others nearby. The desk clerks tirelessly phoned several hotels in the city and eventually found me a room at a hotel in Spokane valley. Talk about going above and beyond what was expected! Never mind the comfortable rooms, 24 hr pool, fresh cookies at the front desk, great location for nearby shopping and restaurants - the girls at the front desk did a SUPER job finding me another hotel - and did it very pleasantly! Whatever they are getting paid - it's not enough. There attitude alone is enough to bring me back here every time I am in Spokane!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Beth Anne S, General Manager at Quality Inn Oakwood, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your review! I will be sure to share it with our staff. I'm so glad you had a good experience at our hotel - we look forward to hosting you again soon!
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

There seems to be few choices in this neighborhood and this seems like the best. Our king room was oversized but the extra space was wasted since was not used for furniture. It was probably open in the event a cot was needed. The bed was comfortable and there was a microwave, fridge, and 4 cup coffee maker. When we first entered the room we were overwhelmed by a talcum powder smell - apparently a scent or cleaning product. We opened the window to air our and asked that it not be used. The room itself could use and upgrade but it was clean. We were facing an auto repai shop and could hear it and busy Division Street when the window was open, though the window blocked most of it. Ask for a room facing the back. The breakfast was OK, serving hot and cold items. The fitness room is tiny. We would stay here again to be close to family.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to complete a survey. We appreciate your business and your feedback.