“Smokey Oyster in Osyter Town”
Review of River View Dining

River View Dining
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 28, 2013

excelent find on our way to long beach. my wife saw a big grill outside and saw the small sign 'Grill Oyster'. A jackpot for oyster lovers. Plump oyster, grilled and seasoned to perfection. I wish they are closer to Seattle so I can be their regular customer.

1  Thank SleeplessInSeattle74

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here as we were travelling through when we saw the big grill smoking away outside and numerous customers inside. We were greated by the proprietor rather bluntly as he stated something to the effect of "If you're on a schedule you best move on". Took me a bit by surprise but I could appreciate his straight forwardness as he was rushing about trying to service his customers.

We stayed and ordered a bowl of clam chowder, a shrimp and avocado salad, and grilled oysters. We were very pleased with everything but what stood out the most were the oysters as I have never had them grilled on a wood fired grill. They were so good that my wife even enjoyed them when she would never eat an oyster previous. She is already talking of making a special trip to South Bend just to come back with others.

1  Thank LTimar
Reviewed March 22, 2013

How to describe excellent food in a not very attractive location we would not normally visit? We stopped because of several positive reviews and found a run-down, poorly maintained premises. We were the only customers at 1PM on a Friday.
We ventured past the smoky BBQ barrel out front and were greeted politely by the proprietor, who was more interested in continuing to read his newspaper.
We came for the smoked oysters but were discouraged by our host who stated that we had to order a minimum of a dozen and if we were in a hurry they would take quite a while. On Fridays you can't order just a half dozen, only Monday through Thursday! So I ordered a half dozen fried oysters while my companion ordered the smoked salmon sandwich.
A cup of clam chowder was very good, and my fried oysters were outstanding. Crisply fried in a light batter and moist and juicy these fresh local oysters are worth a special trip to this small coastal town. One would expect that in a place across the road from several oyster processing canneries and fishing boat docks. There is a nearby fish store with great fresh seafood to go that also sells oysters and shrimp cocktails. This town is all about oysters and fresh fish.
The piece de resistance was a beautiful fresh salmon filet grilled over a smoky alder wood fire. Wow! Salmon served on a French roll with lettuce, tomatoes and homemade relish. The owner went outside in the rain while we watched him roast our wonderful salmon.
Our host warmed up and got friendlier as we expressed our appreciation for excellent food.
Entertainment was a couple of resident toddlers.
All in all it was a pleasant roadside diner with great food on a stretch of highway with very few dining options. No credit cards allowed but they accept checks. Bathroom is for customers only!
I complimented the host on getting several positive reviews on line but he was oblivious since he doesn't own a computer and had never seen any of the reviews. "We are a well kept secret.." Coming from a location on a busy tourist highway with hours between decent meal stops.

1  Thank Malice6
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stopped by on Thanksgiving day when nothing else was open. Don't let the somewhat run down appearance put you off, the food is great. We had the salmon chowder and salmon sandwich. The chowder was excellent, I could have easily eaten another bowl it was so good. The salmon sandwich was very good as well, cooked in the smoker while we watched.

1  Thank MidnightFrog
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Yum! Really tasty hamburgers served straight from the grill outside the window! We've dined here several times... The owner is somewhat off-putting or grouchy sometimes but it's not a personality contest and the food is very tasty. No complaints here!
My husband had chicken and our friends had steaks. They thought the prep was very nice.
I keep reading that the oysters on the grill are great and I intend to try them the next time we stop in there.
The sign on the door says CASH ONLY!

1  Thank j c