“Not good”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Seattle, Washington
“Not good”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

cute cafe, very nice service but the food was really bad. the owner who served us said they were training a new cook, but come on - the food wasn't seasoned and the specials portions were teeny-tiny. i don't recommend it at all.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank marla5575

Olympia, Washington
“My wife and daughter really liked it, I was not impressed”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent the night in Cle Elum (on the other side of the Cascades) and were looking for a restaurant with vegetarian offerings for my daughter on our trip home to Olympia. We stopped for brunch on a Sunday. It was around 10:00. We entered an empty restaurant. I mean completely empty. No guests, no cook, no waiters. The door was open and the sign said they were open. We looked around the room. It has a small bandstand in the back for the performers who come in the evenings. There is a counter and about 10 tables. There are displays of local artists on the walls and a couple of display cases. I thought to myself that if I ever discovered Alice's Restaurant in Washington it would probably look like this. We called "Hello" hoping to discover who was there. After several minutes I was ready to leave and Alice herself finally came out of the back completely oblivious to the fact that she had just barely missed losing customers. This introduction did not really impress me and may have colored the rest of my impression of our experience.

My son and I had the Hot Chocolate. There was generous whipped cream but the hot chocolate itself was disappointing.

My son had the French toast, with two scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of bacon. The bacon was perfect. The scrambled eggs were fine. The French toast was decent, made on home made bread but no cinnamon and served with cheap imitation maple syrup.

I had the Green Onion, Asiago Scramble with potatoes, toast and fruit. It was interesting. The waitress ("Alice") did not offer ketchup to have with the potatoes and I was afraid to ask since the place reeks of anti-establishment. The scramble was very good. The potatoes needed ketchup. The fruit was an orange slice and a slice of nectarine. I guess she thought I wasn't going to eat the fruit so why waste it on me.

My wife had the special. I don't recall what the name was. She loved it and was very pleased with her breakfast. She had coffee as did my daughter.

My daughter had the Black Dog Scramble with feta, black olives, fresh tomatoes, green onions and dill, served with potatoes and toast. She was quite satisfied as well.

The price was expensive in my opinion, about $10 each for the meal described.

Service was a little slow.

My wife would have given this restaurant 5 stars. My daughter 4 stars. My son 3 or 4 stars.

• Visited September 2012
Finger Lakes, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Exploring the area, looking at windows, stopped in to look at some of the local artists items for sale that were in the window. While we were in, i noticed the bright walls and piano, stage and was curious. My son decided he was hungry so he had grilled cheese, made to his liking. I enjoyed an off the menu nice salad with delicious dressing, honey lemon, also made to my specific request! The quirky interior with mismatched chairs and tables, antique and retro 40's was fun. I sat at a table just like my grandmother had in her kitchen. I looked through all the great handmade items and found a nice watercolor and a bracelet to take home, feeling good about supporting the local artists as i like to at home. I heard there is live music regularly and the food menu in the evening is fantastic. I would definitely come again just to enjoy the people that worked there. It was a nice experience for us.

Visited August 2012
oregon
“Would definitely go back”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

If you like a healthy breakfast with homemade granola and fresh fruit, or my choice brown rice, black beans and eggs with fruit then this is the place for you. If you like to treat yourself and splurge with a cheesy chorizo omelet, hash browns, homemade bread and jam like my husband then this is the place for you! Our daughter had the French toast made with their homemade bread and it also looked delicious. Ate here two mornings while staying at the Salish. Nice walk from the hotel, good food at a fair price. We would definitely go back if we were in the area.

• Visited July 2011

Been to The Black Dog? Share your experiences!