“Overpriced and Overrated! Avoid! Avoid!”
Review of Salish Lodge & Spa

Salish Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Snoqualmie
Reviewed January 12, 2009

You'd think when you spend $700 on a hotel room for one night at a "resort/spa" that's touted to be one of the "Best of Western Washinton", most romantic, etc - you'd be in for a treat. Well, let me tell you - it was the worst hotel room I'd ever been in. Oh, it was huge and right on the corner with a front-row seat view to the falls, sure - but that doesn't even come close to making up for the fact that the actual room itself was hideous.

First, we noticed the lighting was almost non-existent. Romantic dim lighting is one thing, but when you're asking each other "Am I missing a light switch somewhere?!" and wondering how you'll be able to play a game of cards in the dark later that night - that's a whole 'nother story. Then we realized one reason why it was so dark was because a light bulb was burned out. No problem - call the front desk.

Ah - but good luck. None of the buttons on the phone seem to work. Reception? No, just kept ringing. Room service? Ring Ring. Nothing. Some buttons just led you to voivemail boxes after a few rings. Finally we tried "Special Services", the 2nd to the last of the 8 pre-set buttons. Yes! It's like a puzzle and we solved it - go us!

After they came and replaced the light bulb, we could then see why they try to keep the room so dark.

The couch and two chairs in the living room, besides looking like it they originally purchased in the 70's, then given to Goodwill, THEN bought by the Salish Lodge - were disgustingly stained. They were fairly light in color making the layers of dirt on the arms and stains onthe cushions stand out that much more. And the lovely white stain in the middle of one of the seat cushions on the couch made your mind just race to come up with another possibility of its origin because the likely truth behind it is just too nauseating. The only thing good about the couch and chairs is that they took your attention away from the "trying-to-be-fancy", but totally ripped and tattered satin throw pillows on them.

Our room was wrapped with windows - but don't think you can get away with just simply pulling a cord to open those roman shades to check out the falls. No my friend, 3 of the 8 shades were busted - one of them being the all-important shade the hangs in front of the glass door leading to the deck. Try as you might to pull it up, only the left side of the 4 ft long shade would barely begin to lift. Luckily I'm pretty handy and was able to figure out a way to jimmy rig the thing to lift up - after 10 minutes of workin' it. Unfortunately, when we got back to the room later that night after playing at the nearby casino, the maids had "turned down" our room and in doing so - lowered the shades. I tried lifting them again but it was even worse than before. The left side lifted up so high above the right that a metal support pole actually shot out from one of the folds. $700 for this??! Are you kidding me?!

That was just the worst of it, but I must also mention the understaffed "Attic" restaurant which featured a hostess in tears slamming doors in frustration, scratchy bath towels, even scratchier robes, a previous guest's hair stucking out of the built-in hair dryer, a jacuizzi that was wasted in a bathroom no one would want to spend time in, cracks and water stains on the ceiling leading down to the wall where wallpaper is pealing away from the damage then huge water stains on the busted curtains, the bedside lamp that was literally breaking into 2 pieces right below the lightbulb (only being held in place by the electrical wiring), the broken TV armoire, the on-demand movie we ordered that "disappered" before we got to finish it, an 8am wake-up call that instead rang in at 7:30, no mini-bar, and a maid who was - no joke - sucking peanut butter from her index finger as I passed her inthe hallway. Nice.

Off to the "real" dining room for breakfast this morning. Ah, finally, the Salish Lodge I was expecting. Almost. As they pull out the chairs for us to be seated I realized the nightmare they created in the "guest suites" did spill out into their "5 star" restaurant. The chairs had this ridiculous carmel-colored suede-like seat cover - complete with white velcro on the corners to secure it in place. These must have been purchased at Goodwill along with that couch, because they were so old there was balled-up, darker (because of the dirt build-up) bits of suede in a butt-shaped pattern on every single chair in the joint.

To top it off the "On Duty Manager" (that's what his name tag said at least) that looked like he was 22 and working at his first job didn't seem to care when I mentioned to him that after we leave he might want to check out the stain on the couch and broken curtains and do something about it. At least he gave us a credit back for the movie we didn't see. Although when your final bill comes to over $1,200, getting a $10 break is a little laughable.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewReviewer09
There are newer reviews for Salish Lodge & Spa

Reviewed January 10, 2009

We've been waiting a long time to stay at Salish and were finally able to during our honeymoon. They offered us a free room upgrade with a view of the Snoqualmie Falls. It was excellent. The room was really cool and cozy with the fireplace and endless supply of firewood.

We ordered pillows from their free pillow menu and loved them. The bathtub has windows that open into the main room, so you can watch the fireplace or tv while sitting in the jetted tub. We ordered pizza from a local pizza place and delivery was no problem. We loved the atmosphere and staff. Everyone was really nice and accommodating. We would absolutely go back, as soon as we can afford it again. This place is fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2008

My partner and I spent 3 nights at the Salish over Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time--our room wasn't super fancy but was very nice, intelligently designed, and with terrific amenities. The spa tub in the bathroom was great, as was the fireplace in the bedroom area. We ate at the Bistro one night and at the main Dining Room for Thanksgiving. Both meals were good--the Dining Room was superb. A breakfast buffet in the a.m. on Saturday was the only downside--it seemed a bit pricey. The spa wasn't large but the pools were relaxing--try to book a room on the 4th floor so you're just a few feet away. I got a massage at the spa which was good. Finally, service was outstanding. Everyone we met went out of their way to be helpful, and everyone was professional, courteous, and friendly. We loved the Salish!!!

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank biznesstravler
Reviewed November 3, 2008

We were very pleased with all aspects of this hotel. The room was comfortable and we enjoyed the fireplace and spa. The bed was fantastic ! We ate three meals there and all were excellent. Highly recommend eating breakfast at the restaurant in front of the large windows.

We hiked at Rattlesnake Lake just a few minutes away, then came back and enjoyed the mineral pools in the spa.

We'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The wife planned this trip, so I can take no credit for it. We were originally going to stay in Seattle, but boy am I glad we didn't. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were in heaven. Everyone from the valet to the bartender were fantastic. The bar had Macallan 12, 18, AND 25 year scotch... So I was quite the happy camper. Not sure how she pulled it off, but somehow we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. I'm assuming it's because there was a convention of sorts there so they had limited rooms? Either way, we weren't about to complain.

The falls were beaitiful and all the fireplaces are stocked with wood daily. I tried burning all the wood, but fell asleep before I succeeded. We didn't get any spa treatments, but did use the soaking tubs to relax after our hike down to the bottom of the falls.

The food... let me tell you, we had breakfast and dinner there and cannot remember the last time I had a meal that good. If I actually lived in Seattle instead of Los Angeles, I would drive there for breakfast alone.

I can't speak for everyone, but our experience here was one to remember.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I've been to the Salish Lodge before to dine, but hadn't had a chance to stay on the property. I had a wonderful time, and thoroughly enjoyed the serenity of the place. Even though there are many tourists who come to see the falls, and there happened to be a wedding that same weekend, we felt like the place was ours from beginning to end.
We enjoyed the spa-- though I agree with others that it's quite overpriced for what you get. They didn't even have bottled water, which is something I expect in a luxury spa. The treatments were okay-- just not woth $170 each (with tax and tip). Make sure you get there early to at least enjoy the mineral pools and steam room.

The room was lovely. Great bed, great tub, great fireplace. You're paying for the entire experience-- the location, the views, the service-- so don't expect an over-the-top room. This place isn't about that. It's about fine, under-stated, comfort.

Breakfast the next morning was to die for-- and worth every penny. They're not going to rush you, and the views are wonderful! I really enjoyed the condiments they provide with your coffee-- everything from whipped cream to chocolate flakes. Candles everywhere-- it was a really pleasant way to start the day.

I really appreciate this place and definitely will go back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2008

The location on the Snoqualmie River Falls is wonderful. Quiet and picturesque. All the rooms are located off the street and you could hear zero traffic noise. Our rooms were on the bottom floor well below street grade and had a small patio right on the river across from the historic hydroelectric generating station. The power plant is a National Civil Engineering Landmark. There is a public park right next to the lodge and there are lots of tourists, but the lodge itself is very private. Valet parking is included. The beds and pillows are wonderful, but the rooms are small for a family of four. Even the cheapest rooms are $340/nite which is steep. Spa services are also pricey at $115 and we did not indulge. The two restaurants are supposed to be first class, meaning expensive. We ate at The Attic which is supposed to be the 'casual' dining experience, but the entrees start at $16. The food was average for this price range but the staff was professional. The best part is a wonderfull view of the cascades and the water fall. Go at sunset. There were very few children and no small children.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snoqualmie
Inn at the Market
Belltown
Pan Pacific Seattle
Pan Pacific Seattle
#18 of 102 in Seattle

Been to Salish Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!