“Nice property, but glad it wasn't my money”
Review of Salish Lodge & Spa

Salish Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Snoqualmie
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed one night at Salish for a corporate meeting taking place over two days in their conference facilities. This was my first stay at this property, although my wife and I had considered it previously for weekend getaways. I'm happy to have experienced the hotel on my company's dime rather than having stayed at my own expense, as I would not stay again at their rates given the rooms, amenities, and services.

The property is nice and in a pretty setting. Through luck of the draw, I had a room on the spa level as well as a view of the river leading up to the waterfall. Others had poor views and noisy rooms, so I'm glad luck was on my side. The room itself was okay, nothing really wrong with it but nothing to excite me. I was mildly turned off by the smell of the fireplace, which permeated the room. It just smelled like burnt or burning wood, and I felt vaguely like I was camping because of this. Others probably don't mind and might even like this, it just wasn't the feeling I wanted at what was supposed to be a luxury property. The bathroom was disappointing, and the large spa tub was downright odd. I'm not a fan of hotel tubs, and especially spa tubs with jets, as they give off an unsanitary vibe (jets can't be fully sanitized unless they're run through with chlorinated water after every guest, and chances are that isn't happening anywhere). It was really odd to have to step over and into a the middle of a giant tub in order to shower. This set up might be romantic for couples, but it was awkward for me as a business traveler as I just needed to shower and get going. So, keep my perspective in mind as other travelers might put the giant tub/shower combo in the "plus" column. The bathroom also felt dark despite all the lights being on, which wasn't conducive to a quick morning experience.

Overall, there was nothing really exceptional nor horrible about this property. Everything was just okay with a few points I didn't prefer for my needs during this stay. From my perspective, the property doesn't warrant the rack rate that hovers around $300 per night. That is Four Seasons in downtown Seattle prices, and you're not getting anywhere near that type of experience.

Room Tip: Spa Level was much nicer and offered better views than other floors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jigsnreels
ManageratSalish, Manager at Salish Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Our two person jetted Jacuzzi tubs are made specifically for this hotel under the "Salish" brand. Our hotel is primarily geared toward a romantic weekend getaway & northwest lodge retreat. The tubs and wood burning fireplaces in the cozy lodge have been defining characteristics, but can understand the differences between this experience and one geared toward business travels. We have made many steps to enhance facilities for business travelers include complimentary Wi-Fi lodge wide, desks in each room, as well as a dramatic renovation of all banquet rooms. Thank you once more for your feedback, without such feedback we cannot improve our service and product.

There are newer reviews for Salish Lodge & Spa

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I came to the Salish lodge very excited to experience the splendor of the falls in a luxurious environment but I was disappointed. Here are the disappointments for a $400+/night room:

1--I brought my dog and the dog rooms are on the first floor and far from the falls that you wouldn't even know you were that close. I have stayed at other pet friendly hotels and they did not put me on the first floor.
2--I had no view of the falls nor could I walk to the falls on hotel property so I had to leave the resort and walk to the public access viewing location.
3--I was at the Salish on Saturday opening night for college football and the TV would intermittently just freeze during the game and I missed 3-5 minute chunks of the games. I checked all channels and they were all frozen. Oh and the TV was small and close to only one of the two beds so we had to put on our glasses to watch TV.
4--There was no complimentary drinking water and room service did not have pitchers of water to accompany a meal so I had to buy bottles of water from the gift shop (not inexpensive).
5--The beds were comically short. I am 6 foot tall and my feet stuck out the end of the bed, it was the shortest bed I have ever slept in.
6--There were many pillows but not one of them were comfortable.
7--The fan in the bathroom was so loud that even with the door closed, I had to turn up the TV

For a hotel that is so expensive, I certainly expected much more from a view/access to the falls or a room that offered more. We have been anticipating a stay at the Salish for the year we have lived in Washington and our schedules finally aligned but it was not a good memory. I have no plans to return when I cannot even see the star of the show from my room which is the falls. I have no problem paying for luxury but I was so disappointed.

1  Thank vagabond09

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is with such feedback that we are able to correct such shortfalls, and enhance future stays. It is important to note that we have pet rooms available on each level of the hotel, and in every room type including suites overlooking the cresting falls. The park access is the best access to the falls and its spectacular views. While it is a short walk, it is the best access point as other property is owned by Puget Sound Energy below the hotel and across the river. Our dining facilities also offer tremendous viewing experiences. The day in question regarding the cable, Comcast had experienced a regional outage in which several customers including Salish were adversely affected. I apologize for such inconvenience. I apologize once more for the challenges experienced, and am thankful for your feedback.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently had breakfast and lunch with summer guests in the Salish Lodge dining room. Breakfast was OK but expensive. The food was pretty ordinary - good, but not exceptional in a way that justified the inflated prices. There was no view. Another day, I decided to try lunch with another set of visitors. Lunch was simply terrible. The pizza was overlooked, dry and unappetizing. The beef sandwich tasted like a 7-Eleven roast beef sub sandwich according to my sister. The bread was dry and hard as a rock. They graciously removed the sandwich from our bill, but my sister ended up going without lunch. The service was uniformly poor. I was disappointed. I live nearby and would like to take folks here for a treat. The dining room needs some work.

2  Thank Dave L
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The marketing company that advertises the Salish Lodge does a great job (but a very misleading one). The main photo on the website is old and does not show you the electric plant that is directly across the river from the lodge. We paid for an upgraded 'river view' room and was placed in a dungeon dark room that needed updating with windows that were hazy (needed replacing) directly overlooking an ugly electric plant with all the electric wires and all! This lodge is not worth the money or the trip.

The Salish Lodge website is so misleading:
Do they tell you that the lodge is next to a scenic view stop off the highway and the this lookout is attached to the lodge?
Do they tell you that you cannot see the falls unless you go to the state scenic view lookout?
Do they tell you that there are no real hotel grounds to walk around?
Do they tell you that the 'water' view from the hotel is a power plant?

The rooms and overall hotel needs an overhaul - it really felt more like a budget hotel than a $300+a night lodge. We were originally planning on staying a few days due to the exceptional marketing on the Salish Lodge website and we are so happy we only stayed one night (but wished we had bypassed it altogether!).

The restaurant at the Lodge was another disappointment - one hour passed before we received our wine before dinner. Be careful where you sit if you decide to eat here only choose the main dining room, the attached room to the main room looks and feels like a cafeteria with bright lights and a run down decor. Food is overpriced with entrees $35+. Food was good but with the extremely amateurish, disjointed service was not worth the price tag. I do recommend visiting the area, the natural beauty is breathtaking - just find a better place to stay.

3  Thank jeliza20
Reviewed August 28, 2013

A number of people in Seattle raved about it, we had 2 days and said ok, lets go see. I think the reason people in Seattle raved about it is they needed to get out of town and it was close. When you get to the lodge thats all there is so there is no competition and because of that it's expensive as to value. They make it appear that you can see the famous waterfall, well you can't see it from the room and even if you walk outside the back door where the bellman said you could see it, you can't and I asked him to come outside and show me what he was talking about and finally he admitted you have to go next door to the park to see the view of the waterfall. I think everyone just stretches the truth a little cause as they all say "it's right there."

The rooms are ok, but not $274/night worth. The room service was ok but they didn't bring any coffee or cream, twice? They didn't leave a fire log which they are supposed to. They don't clean the room when you ask for early clean up service?

I was looking forward to reading in the beautiful library because it appeared that it would be peaceful, the fireplace was full of logs built for a fire stacked neatly in cross rows so I asked it they minded lighting a fire. They said they were just getting ready to, lit the fire and then I had to report that the room was filled with smoke and the smoke detectors were about to go off because the visibility in the room was declining and people were chocking and running out the room. They neglected to train the guy who lit the fire that the dampener had to be opened when you light a fire so it was off limits the one day I wanted to read, so much for peace and quite. And I had to demand the front desk call security, they wanted me to wait and let the library burn down while they finished with a customer?
The restaurant is expensive for what you get and the "famous brunch" in my opinion is not what I think is a brunch at all. To me a brunch is where you have choices like a carving station, breakfast items, lunch items and can get samples of different things, maybe an omelet station, and maybe some seafood or champagne or mimosas. I can name dozens of these type brunches that run circles around what I ate for the same money and all we had was an egg dish with hard biscuits?
Look, it wasn't a bad place, the area is interesting, it's up in the mountains, the scenery is pretty, the park next door is nice and you can go there and actually see the waterfall, but all in all it's not a great as people say.

1  Thank CapitalWarrior

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed in the shortfalls which occurred. We will work diligently to remediate your concerns.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Salish Lodge for two nights. We had a fourth floor room with a cathedral ceiling, a very soft and comfortable king-size bed, a wood burning fireplace (which we used both nights), and a window seat overlooking the falls. It was very quiet and comfortable. We also had excellent service from all the staff; for example, we left a note by our Keurig coffee maker requesting six K-cups of coffee rather than the normal 4 and by the turn-down service they had appeared. Only two small compliants: the room was dark despite the number of lights, I think due to the low wattage of the bulbs, and the desk had no light which made it tough to use. The second complaint was the whirlpool tub; while some may appreciate the romance it might bring, to have to step over into it each day for daily use was a bit of a pain. A separate shower would have been much appreciated. We had no other complaints and would stay there again if given the opportunity.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the floors have the cathedral ceiling that the fourth floor rooms offered, s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratSalish, Manager at Salish Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you so much! We are so pleased to hear about your tremendous experience, and comments on the room amenities! We will see you again in the near future!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

With such a stunning natural attraction and gorgeous late summer weather you would expect a location such as this to maximiae and leverage their outdoor connection- but no! There is not one place to sit and enjoy the outdoors. The patio is closed. Small library to read in but you are left with your room and if you are lucky, a very small balcony. Patios on ground floor look at a barrier of trees and have no view. The food in the restaurant is quite nice but service is not at the same level as the food. The public spaces and rooms are decorated and arranged in nice style but the valet and front desk staff are amateurs-need professional training.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snoqualmie
Inn at the Market
Belltown
Pan Pacific Seattle
Pan Pacific Seattle
#18 of 102 in Seattle

Been to Salish Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!