“Great Bento Box Lunch”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2014

20+ years ago the owner opened this restaurant. I was one of the early customers. I moved from the area but had a chance to stop in today. The owner does a wonderful job with the sashimi and sushi. The only warning is that the secret is out. People know that the food is great. And they keep the tables full. The longest wait that I noticed was about 2 minutes so they do turn the tables quickly. They do take reservations. The price is under 10 dollars for the Bento Box lunch. The servers are attentive and kind.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Hakata takes me back to the mom and pop places I used to eat at during my 6 years in Japan. Good solid food, not altered for American tastes. Friendly family environment.

My primary complaint are their hours that really do nothing more than discourage business. They close on odd days.

Don't show up too early for lunch, they aren't open. Arrive at 11 AM and they will eventually open the door.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Based on recommendation in TA we od to try this small restaurant for dinner arriving around 4:30 p.m. As soon as we walked we were greeted and taken to a nice table. Menus were presented and a few minutes later we were asked if we wanted anything to drive other than tea (Ocha) which was brought when asking. We opted for Plum Wine and cold Saki. Dinner was quite enjoyable - one Yakisoba and the other Sashimi. The fish was fresh and quite tasty. All-in-all a very enjoyable meal. The staff from the moment walked in until we left was outstanding. We don't live anywhere near here, but if we did, we'd be back.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We struggled when we first moved here for decent Japanese food... Hakata is it. There are several other places we have tried, but this is the best available locally. The sashimi and sushi are always fresh (Rainbow Roll is my fave), and the cooked food (Tonkatsu is my fave) are all just wonderful. We live 30 miles from there, but when in the area and hungry we try to stop in.

1  Thank CM_G279
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Every time we like to eat Japanese food, we go here and we highly recommend it. They have a great variety of selection in the menu and offer specials for lunch and or dinner as well as appetizers. Service is wonderful. Sugi is the best sushi maker. You can even ask him to make a special request to make for you. We give this place a thumbs up for both good food and customer service.