“Slipped a bit but still very good”

Taqueria El Huarache
Ranked #27 of 132 Restaurants in Silverdale
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Port Orchard, WA
“Slipped a bit but still very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have to agree a bit with the previous review ... they have gone down hill a bit from when they were in their old location.

Previously, they had genuine Mexican taste, menu and hospitality. On our most recent visit to their new location, they were VERY busy for dinner so there was no time to visit with the staff like before. The menu had more of the "Gringo" version of Mexican food and the flavor was more to the American palate.

Good old Mexican heat??? Nada! While my Chile Relleno was very tasty, it was not spicy at all. The tamales were very tasty but had way too much masa and were a little dry... we had to add salsa.

While we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals, it just wasn't like their old stuff. But we aren't giving up on them.

• Visited January 2014

Washington
“Downhill...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

If I had written this a year ago when they were in their old hole-in-the-wall restaurant, I would have given them a five, but since their move everything seems to have gone downhill. The prices increased, the portions decreased and the food is just OK. Even the service has suffered. My family and I thought it was just because of the move and that they were working the kinks out. We returned repeatedly, hoping things would improve, but no such luck. After our last visit, we vowed never to return. We were saddened to say that because we very much loved everything at the smaller location and really wanted to keep returning. Our once favorite Mexican restaurant is now our least favorite. :(

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 4cookiesrwe
Silverdale, Washington, United States
“Great Value, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I go here for 'date night' almost once a week. The restaurant is owned and operated by a family and the service is always good. The food is AMAZING and I have a hard time trying anything new because the carne asada is so delicious. My husband loves the California burritos and pretty much everything on the menu. The house margaritas are a good deal and it's just a friendly and relaxed place. Great value, great food.

Visited June 2013
Port Orchard, WA
“Amazingly real ... if you order right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is one of the first Mexican restaurants (local, at least) that we have found with real south of the border offerings. We did watch several people come in and order boring burrito, enchilada, taco or chicken meals. But we went for the more traditional foods and it reminded us of food from my "Abuelita".

• Visited April 2013
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Simply average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were in the mood for Good Mexican and decided to try this one's Poulsbo location.

What is there to be said about yet another mediocre Mexican restaurant, is this number 6 or 7, in a small town promoting itself as a quaint "Norwegian" village?
If only somebody would be brave and open a Norwegian theme restaurant, or even a decent Chinese! But alas we are inundated with Mexican places, 80% of which are not very good. Not a single Norwegian place.
This one is basically another purveyor of big plates of gloppy beans and rice. The chips were not fresh and homemade, the salsa was thin and runny. Chile Relleno was bland and smothered in bland sauce. Their small beef taco was OK and inexpensive but could have been better if dressed with some lettuce and salsa.
A total of 4 different servers attended us, two of whom had language problems. Which would have been tolerable had they not misunderstood our orders. I got a Corona Light when ordering a Corona. I received runny refried beans after requesting rancho beans.
My Margarita was too sweet and tasted like pre-made mix rather than freshly made and blended juice. I couldn't taste any Tequila.
So bye bye, sorry we didn't go to one of our more familiar Poulsbo-Mex places.