“Great place to stay on fishing trip”
Review of Sundowner Motel

Sundowner Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
Lakewood, WA
“Great place to stay on fishing trip”
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Initially I was put off by some of the low ratings but was pleasantly surprised by the room, cleanliness, rate and especially the staff. The owner quoted me a great rate on just a phone call and delivered as promised when we rolled in. She went out of her way to make our stay pleasant, even providing a coffee maker to our room so we could fill thermos' up early the morning before leaving to go fishing. The rooms come with a refrig and microwave. The parking lot is very large and accommodated my 21' boat trailer and truck. By far the best rate in town. No, you won't get a complementary breakfast, but then again you won't pay twice the rate either. Perfect for fishing trips during halibut season. Will stay again in two weeks if the weather holds up!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Estonia
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My trip,to Sequim,Wa. was for V.A. doctors appointments, in Seattle,since I am a disabled Viet Nam veteran and I had flown,to SEATAC airport, from my home( I am an expat) in Eastern Europe for these important doctors appointments. (My intent was to stay at the Econo Lodge,in Sequim, but there was a band ,playing at the Casino in Sequim, that had rented 6 rooms in the Econo Lodge and I thought that after the band came home, after late night working at the Casino, they would be noisy.. so,I decided to stay at the Sundowner Motel, for only 2 nights, until the band left the Econo Lodge.) Instead of moving to the Econo Lodge, a few days after checking into the Sundowner Motel, I decided to stay in the Sundowner. The room prices was quite a bit cheaper,than Econo Lodge, and the room quality, ie, newer type TV, micro wave, refrigerator, were in very good condition , plus the room was very clean and quite, so I decided to stay the full week of my Sequim stay in the Sundowner Motel. The staff were all very kind and the Sundowner Motel owner, a nice lady, offered me a ride, in her car, to the Seattle VA, since she herself had to go to Seattle during my stay. She said 'I do not want any money from you!'. That is about a 40/45 mile trip and this saved me a lot of stress from taking local buses and ferrys to Seattle V.A. After a week, in Sundowner Motel, it was time to fly back to Tallinn, Estonia. I did not want to leave , I had such a pleasant stay. I asked the owner for long term rates and I most definitely will return to Sundowner Motel when I have more V.A appointments, next Winter, but this time, I intend to live there for several weeks. SARC (Sequim Aquatic Recreational Center) is only a few blocks away, and for my physical therapy, it will do me go to go to the swimming pool everyday while I am in Sequim. The Sequim Library has just been opened after being fully renovated and they have free internet computers for visitors to use. With the Safeway and pharmacy and restaurants so nearby Sundowner Motel, I do not need to rent a car. I am very happy that Sundowner Motel, a ''mom and pop'' business, gives me a choice other than the 'chain' hotels/motels in Sequim.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Seattle WA
Reviewed February 22, 2009

The room was really clean and the staff were great. I don't know what people expect for under $60.00 but our stay was fine.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2008

I was at the Sundowner in September of 2008 and found it very clean and the staff went out of thier way to be nice and helpful.
This was my first solo vacation and I chose this place because of price but was pleasently surprised. I had checked out and then decided to spend one more night. The only person in the office was the maintenance guy and he just gave me the key to the same room I had before and told me to just check with the office later! This gentlemen then told me about a festivale in Port Townsend for that day and recommended I go as the town was really nice. Took his advice and had a great afternoon!! The lady who runs the place took time to give me directions and advice when I checked out the next morning. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Liked — The staff were great!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank teajay15
Kailua-Kona
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Our GPS steered us to the motel and we're glad it did. The rooms were clean, the beds were good, and the price was $20 less then some of the dumps on the Olympic Penninsula that the health department should close down. The owners bent over backwards to ensure we had a good stay, allowing us to use their ethernet connection when the wifi went down.

• Liked — Convenient to Olympic NP, Port Townsend, Victoria BC ferry
  • Disliked — Intermittent wifi, but owner allowed us to use their ethernet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank capndrake
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 18, 2008

I was house hunting with my mother and sister in the area. After an exhausting day, we just wanted a nice place to rest. This hotel looks decent on the outside, but the service is horrid!!!

First off, we were not allowed to pay for a room with one bed. The lady at the front simply said no and that we would have to pay for a room with two beds. That should have been the first red flag. My mother had gone in to book the room and so I shrugged it off when she told me.

Next, as we were unloading the car our "neighbor" mentioned that the water for two city blocks (which the hotel was in) was being shut off at 9pm for atleast 4 hours! Even though that is something the hotel can not control, they can atleast notify people before they pay for a room. After we brought it to the attention of the lady (in the office) she said that we would have it back in the morning!!! What if we wanted to take a shower or go to the bathroom between 9pm-1am?

Then when we got in the room there was a tiny space heater (maybe a foot tall) on the microwave. I pointed it out to my mom and asked if that was suppose to be our only source of heat. Sadly, upon testing the room heater we noticed it may be. When my mother called the office the lady said that she promised it would heat up the whole room! Bogus! We turned it on immediately and let it run for about 45 minutes with not much of a result.

By that point we were done! My mom went back to get a refund (she had a receipt with the time) and the lady would not give her one. She told her that it was the law that after an hour there are no refunds and that every mortal would treat her (my mom) that way. Well the receipt showed that we weren't there for an hour! I was pissed and ready to "exchange" some words with that lady...but we decided to just drive away.

We talked to the front desk at the Sequim Bay Lodge and asked them if it was a law on the no refund policy and they said no, but it is usually up to the landlord. From the other reviews on here, it doesn't seem like we would have gotten a refund regardless. We too are sending letters and I suggest anyone else that has a bad experience there should too. I will also be contacting the BBB and do whatever I can to tell people about this horrible experience.

• Liked — The location was the only decent thing about this hotel.
  • Disliked — The worst service ever!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank aQTforever

Travelers are raving about these Sequim hotels

Puyallup, WA
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I thought I had read somewhere that this place was ok. Obviously, I was mistaken. We stopped here Sat nite, Husband goes in, says it's $65. I say, ok, fine. He pays cash - BIG MISTAKE, we'll use our card from now on - and then she wouldn't give us a receipt. We go to the room. Smells, water heater in the open closet was nasty. Could hear the neighbor plain as day. We say, forget this, it's nasty. The woman - who says she is the owner - says absolutely no refund. We should've looked at the room. I say, fine then. I want a receipt. Nope, can't do that. Ok, I want it in writing that we didn't do anything to the room since I don't want a bill later for damages. Nope, she won't do that. She says she wouldn't do something like that. I say, how do I know that since you're obviously not a reputable business. As you can imagine, more words were exchanged and we were out our $65. We have filed a complaint with the attorney general & I have written the Sequim Chamber. My husband looked up her business license on the internet, and it doesn't seem to be owned by her at all. I'm pretty sure she pocketed the money & then re-rented the room. Anyhow, NOT A GOOD PLACE. We didn't stay & everybody there knew we weren't happy at all. We went to the Sequim Bay Lodge, which was the exact same price after I told her what had happened. The front desk girl there told me she gives refunds all the time if someone isn't happy. So we got a very nice, HUGE ROOM, and nice people.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles
Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim

Been to Sundowner Motel? Share your experiences!