“Not no, but hell no!!!”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
Puyallup, WA
“Not no, but hell no!!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I thought I had read somewhere that this place was ok. Obviously, I was mistaken. We stopped here Sat nite, Husband goes in, says it's $65. I say, ok, fine. He pays cash - BIG MISTAKE, we'll use our card from now on - and then she wouldn't give us a receipt. We go to the room. Smells, water heater in the open closet was nasty. Could hear the neighbor plain as day. We say, forget this, it's nasty. The woman - who says she is the owner - says absolutely no refund. We should've looked at the room. I say, fine then. I want a receipt. Nope, can't do that. Ok, I want it in writing that we didn't do anything to the room since I don't want a bill later for damages. Nope, she won't do that. She says she wouldn't do something like that. I say, how do I know that since you're obviously not a reputable business. As you can imagine, more words were exchanged and we were out our $65. We have filed a complaint with the attorney general & I have written the Sequim Chamber. My husband looked up her business license on the internet, and it doesn't seem to be owned by her at all. I'm pretty sure she pocketed the money & then re-rented the room. Anyhow, NOT A GOOD PLACE. We didn't stay & everybody there knew we weren't happy at all. We went to the Sequim Bay Lodge, which was the exact same price after I told her what had happened. The front desk girl there told me she gives refunds all the time if someone isn't happy. So we got a very nice, HUGE ROOM, and nice people.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gig Harbor
Reviewed October 31, 2007

How big can you spell SKANKY, horrible filthy rug, dirty linens, not sanitary at all. We drove into town and could not find another place to stay, it looked ok from the road. When we got to our room we were very unhappy, but did not have another choice. We would NEVER EVER go back again. I can't believe they have not been shut down by the health department! I have never seen another motel like this ever.

Stayed June 2005

Travelers are raving about these Sequim hotels

CA
Reviewed June 1, 2007

This place was what I have come to call a "sleeper"- it doesn't look bad from the outside and at first glance the room appeared adequate- well worn but fairly clean. BUT! Lets start with the safety problems; refrigerator and microwave powered by a rats nest of extension cords and power strips which originate from a receptacle on the front wall and lead around, through and under furniture- guests must make a choice between operating fridge/ microwave OR the TV OR the light over the table because all must share the same receptacle. We found the bedside lamps inoperable because their plugs had been deformed by being smashed between the box spring and wall. Plugging a hair dryer into the bath receptacle resulted in severe dimming of the light over the mirror and a smell of burning insulation. The bathtub was dangerously slick because the factory-applied anti-skid dots had been removed and no anti-skid mat was supplied. The refrigerator, while empty, had been turned off and left closed up, which had turned it into a "superfund site". I feel this situation raises some troubling questions about the lack of Washington state government oversight of facilities used by the public; even in my bump-in-the-road hometown in CA these safety problems would be caught and corrected by the local fire department's periodic inspections. Then there was the smoke. We asked for and got a "non smoking" room but soon started to smell cigarette smoke. Looking around outside we discovered that several small tables on the porch in front of the rooms were equipped with ashtrays and were now being used by smokers with predictable results. This arrangement does NOT constitute "non smoking' and is, in fact, illegal. I have never seen a situation so insulting to the rights of smokers and non-smokers alike; the poor addicts furtively puffing on the porch and the non-smokers dashing between car and room through the toxic cloud. This situation could well lead to bloodshed in the warmer part of the year; it was cool when we visited but the place has no AC so windows would have to be opened for ventilation.

• Liked — This is a trick question, right?
  • Disliked — So bad I couldn't pick a single thing!
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank CaSeeker
Washington
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Aside from the price gouging, he wanted to charge us $140 for one night, but since the wife already reserved us a room for $69, he settled for $89.00. There were many health violations, old food in the fridge, mold in the fridge and freezer, dog hairs on the sheets, etc. but also, when we went into our room the smoke detector was lying on the table with no batteries in it. Not to mention later that evening we were approached by one of their employees that was drunk and kept trying to sell us a leather jacket and other items. This motel really sucks for the price gouging and the poor room conditions, when we had the owner come into our room to see for himself, the sheets covered in dog hair and the moldy fridge; he immediately started to get difficult to talk with and very unpleasant. He then acquired some linen and started changing our bed, while the whole time being very argumentative and unpleasant to deal with, then he called in his wife to clean the mold from inside the fridge, as if this would make everything ok. NOT!! Not only were they extremely rude but they acted as though we should be grateful to them that we even had a room to stay in, regardless of the condition and regardless that we reserved the rooms in advance. Their lack of cooperation in the situation, and the unhealthy environment that we found in our room was not only upsetting but also unacceptable.
Never in my life have I had such a unpleasant experience as I did at the Sundowner Motel. I also forgot to mention that upon calling them to the room, the owner tried to tell us that the purpose for the dirty room was due to an employee that they had cleaning the rooms (drunk guy trying to sell leather coat) but that they had fired him and this was not a normal condition for their Motel and had been taken care of. Upon waking the next morning, I could not believe my eyes, that same employee was still working cleaning the rooms.

Stayed May 2007
42 Thank arrmatg
Lynden, WA
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We were in Sequim last Saturday, May 26th, and had the unfortunate experience of staying in the Sundowner Motel.

Aside from the price gouging, he wanted to charge us $140 for one night, (because of the shortage of rooms due to Memorial Day weekend) but since the wife already reserved us rooms for $69, he settled for $89.00.

There were many health violations, old food in the fridge, mold in the fridge, dog hairs on the sheets, etc. But also, when we went into our room the smoke detector was lying on the table with no batteries in it.

When I told our friends about it, they went into their room and pulled the smoke detector down and there were no batteries in it.

This motel really sucks for the price gouging and the poor room conditions. One of their employees was drunk and kept trying to sell us a leather jacket and other items. We finally told him to leave and he got really angry at us.

We, in no way, would ever stay at that motel again. The motel owner was a freindly man while he took our money, but later had no problems yelling at our friends when they complained about dog hairs on the sheets. You have a beautiful city and the people are great, but this motel is one site to be avoided.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The owners bad attitude!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
26 Thank jerrytkd
halfmad
Reviewed May 27, 2007

The title pretty much says it all, but I'll elaborate. We booked this trip just before Memorial Day weekend since it was one of few places near Olympic National Park that still had availability and would allow us to bring our dog. When we arrived, the woman was very nice. The room was just so-so at a glance, but it's not expensive, so we didn't care (the furnishings just looked very outdated). I took the dog for a quick walk. My husband caught up to us with a funny look on his face and said, "We can't stay in that room." On closer inspection, there were someone's dirty socks and a *used* condom lying next to the bed! Somehow they missed this while cleaning?

My husband went to the front desk and asked for a new room--obviously, these things go on at hotels; it just made us really squeamish to stay in that room, though. The woman was apologetic and said she'd give us another room. But then suddenly a man (her husband? not sure) interrupted and began yelling, saying, "No! That is the only dog room!" and then saying our dog was too big (even though I'd told her on the phone how big he was) and he'd never have allowed it. He said, "We have a policy, no dog in any other room!" With that, I told them that we have a policy not to stay in a room where we find used condoms on the floor when we arrive.

The only positive things I can say are:
1) the woman remained very apologetic and
2) they did refund our money, which to my mind was the least they could do.

So: filthy room, not really dog-friendly as they advertised, and they had the gall to yell at US.

I wouldn't recommend the Sundowner Motel.

• Liked — they had a room
  • Disliked — the room had a used condom in it
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
45 Thank halfmad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles
Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim

Been to Sundowner Motel? Share your experiences!