“Most Relaxing Ever”

Lost Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Sequim B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My wife and I are in our early 60's...very active. Lost Mountain Lodge was the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. The accomodations were luxurious. The service staff went overboard. The breakfasts on site could not have been better. In addition, the food at area restaurants was absolutely superb! Lisa directed us to the perfect places to dine...the seafood was divine. The area (northern Olympic penninsula) is wonderful. Present at a glacial lake in the morning and standing on the beach two hours later! We seldom return to a vacation spot, however, we will return to Lost Mountain Lodge. (And our dollars stayed in America...not given to foreigners...who really don't like us anyway!)

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank ShoesLincoln

Reviewed July 3, 2007

we have just returned from the lost lodge, we have never experienced anything like this before
we loved the room we had, the place was so clean and plush , as if we were in a five star hotell , we had a pond right out side our bedroom window, we could see the deer in the morning & eve, it was amazing, it was our 25th anniversary and i would not change anything, the owners were so nice, they brought wine and cheese & crackers the first night and gave us champagne our 2nd night, the breakfast was truly the best, they have great cheffs as well! they made all our reservations that we needed, they made sure we knew what to go and see during the day, i think for a getaway that you are wanting quiet, peace, no cell phones, and enjoy the beauty, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mustgooo
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Long overdue review... The two upstairs rooms are great for a family, my wife and I stayed in one room while our teenage daughters stayed in the other. Coffee, wine, breakfast were as pro mised and Lisa even noticed our mentioned desire for crab and had it included in our quiche the next morning.
Restaurant reservations were made when requested and the recommendations were great. Dwight and Lisa , the owners, are lovely people and their son is very well mannered. We enjoyed the use of the hot tub and the fireplaces in the rooms.
B and B's are not usually my cup of tea as I prefer a hotel experience( it's hard to be in someone elses home), but I would recommend this one as most likely the best in the area, which, by the way is most beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank the-bon-vivant
Reviewed June 23, 2007

After reading the reviews posted here, we feel like we stayed at a completely different place than these other travelers. Our experience at the Lost Mountain Lodge was - well, let's just say it was odd. Not at all what we were hoping for based on the description on their website and our experiences at other B&B's around the country.

First, the good stuff. We arrived late after suffering through 3-1/2 hours of traffic from the airport and were warmly greeted by a woman named Heather (evening manager?). She acquainted us with the house, gave us a rundown of the surrounding area, and brought a tray up to our room with wine and a small snack - perfect. We lit a fire and relaxed in our beautiful room before going to sleep in the huge, comfortable bed.

The next morning, we were treated to a nice breakfast prepared by a very friendly woman named Lynn. Quiche, fresh berries, wonderful yogurt, hot tea and coffee.

During our time at the lodge, we were able to enjoy some of the most stunningly beautiful scenery in Washington. The lodge is truly situated within short driving distances of several great places to hike. Sequim and Port Angeles have several nice little restaurants and shops and we had a great time doing all of that. With the advice of Heather and Lynn we were able to make the most of our free time.

Here's the not-so-good stuff.
We were put in a room that was not the room we were supposed to be in and nothing was said about that. Granted, we didn't ask and the room was beautiful (and the same price), but we thought that was strange.

We only had a few occasions to interact with Lisa, the owner.
1. She charged our credit card for the remainder of our bill the night we checked in.
2. She yelled (yes, yelled) at Dwight, her husband, about staffing issues when she knew we were coming up the stairs right behind him. This made us very uncomfortable.
3. She yelled from her DOWNSTAIRS office to my husband who was using the public computer UPSTAIRS (during the designated times for guests to use the internet) for him to get off the computer. She was sending a large file (through their dial up connection, one phone line) and he was just going to have to wait - her words.
3. Then, later that same evening, after we heard a commotion in the pond outside our window, I went downstairs to the deck to see a mother duck defending her babies from a hawk. When I mentioned to Lisa that I had just seen a hawk take off with a duckling, she looked at me and said flatly, "That's life."
In short, this was not the warm, friendly person we read about in reviews of the lodge.

Three of the four mornings we were at the lodge, quiche was served for breakfast. Granted, they were different types of quiche, but still - a little variety would have been nice. We don't know what was served the other morning because we had to leave before breakfast was served.

All in all, we enjoyed our room and the location of the lodge. We felt like we had to stay in our room in order to stay out of the owner's way. We will definitely go back to visit the Sequim / Port Angeles area, but will not stay at the Lost Mountain Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank jlkelley97
Scenicbyways, Owner & General Manager at Lost Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2007

It is so very heartbreaking to read this review. I assure you that these guests have distorted the facts—my wife who is undergoing treatment for a life-threatening illness still spends 18+hours a day working at the Lodge to make sure the rooms, grounds, and staff are as lovely and gracious as they describe. Normally, I would not take such a negative review so personally, but feel I must address all of their comments because they are either inaccurate or deliberately exaggerated:
1.I am sorry that these guests seem surprised that we would charge their credit card upon arrival. Every hotel in America swipes your credit card when you arrive / check-in and places a “hold” for a dollar amount that is usually significantly higher than the room rate. At a bed & breakfast, everything is included and since there is nothing additional that can be charged to the room, there is no reason to place an inflated “hold” on the card. It is simpler to charge the actual balance due since it would be no different on the day of check-out. Every reputable Bed & Breakfast in our state association requires a credit card, traveler’s check or cash payment at check-in. And every Bed & Breakfast owner that I know has had the sad experience of guests who left early without paying on the day of check-out.
2.I am so sorry and apologize profusely that these guests observed my wife and I discussing the fact that staff members had failed to show up for work—again—leaving us in quite a predicament. Obviously, we want such things to go unnoticed by our guests—I guarantee that if my wife had known guests were present (she did not), she would not have expressed her anger in front of them. Would you be angry if someone didn’t show up for work and you had to work your shift and theirs as well? Now add to that the fact that you are extremely ill from medications necessary for treatment—you have a house full of guests day and night, and you are caring for your family that includes your 9-year-old child.
3.I am sorry that this guest was offended that my wife—who was working very late—asked him to wait to log-on until the large files she had already begun uploading were completed. We are in a remote area of the country—the Internet workstation is a free service we provide to our guests as a courtesy and it is available after business hours only (generally from 7PM until 9AM). I am saddened that this guest did not seem to understand that my wife was working late in the business office. Again, I apologize that he was so offended by a short 20-minute delay in checking his email while on vacation.
4.I am sorry that our Evening Hostess failed to explain to these guests that they were upgraded to a larger, nicer suite at no additional charge because we thought as out-of-town guests who had traveled so far, that they might enjoy it more.
5.I am sorry that the guests were unhappy that they were served “quiche” on several mornings during their 4-day stay (the actual menus were Fresh Tomato Basil Frittata, Dungeness Crab & Leek Quiche, and Artichoke & Bacon Soufflé). On the morning they checked-out and left very early (before the inn opened), we served our Baked Stuffed Peach Croissants. We do have many different items that we prepare for guests and they have extended choices every morning besides our hot entrée from fresh seasonal fruits & berries, Tillamook yogurts, home-baked scones & breakfast breads, gourmet cereals, as well as complimentary lattes, cappuccino and mochas. We also accommodate guests’ food allergies and dietary restrictions. We do our very best to please everyone—and that is never easy.
6.The statement regarding the hawk and the ducks is completely false, mean-spirited, and out of context—I overheard Lisa spend 20 minutes explaining the natural life cycle of the ponds to this guest in an attempt to calm her and make sense of what the guest had observed.

When you stay at a bed & breakfast, you are visiting someone’s HOME. I tell every guest that visits us—if they have ANY issues or concerns at all, to please talk with me and give me the opportunity to make it right. These guests never mentioned their concerns to me or anyone on our staff—but instead chose to use the Internet as a knife and slice my wife to ribbons in public. I wonder if I stayed with these guests 24/7 in THEIR home, what I might observe. I can only hope that I would have more compassion and grace for them than they did for my family.

A wise man once told me, if you look for the good in others and what's right with them, then that's what you'll find. If you look for the bad in others and what's wrong them, you'll have no trouble finding it.

We have had thousands of guests over the past 7 years who have come to Lost Mountain Lodge looking for the good--and they have found it.

Dwight Hostvedt

Reviewed May 20, 2007

I booked the Downstairs suite, The Creekside room, for my significant other's birthday not knowing anything about the establishment but what I garnered from the website. To say that we were surprised by the qulaity and overall ambience of the property is a huge understatement.

The food, staff and facilities are top notch. We have never felt so comfortable and relaxed as we did during this weekend. We were genuinely sad to have to leave after two evenings.

I cannot recommend this place enough!!

Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank Cascademts
Reviewed March 2, 2007

My wife and I spent our 15th wedding anniversary here in Nov 2006. Drove 5 hours to get there, and it was worth every minute. The setting was gorgeous, and the large suite we were in downstairs was VERY nice. The owners were away because of an emergency, but the two people who ran the lodge in their absence didn't miss a beat. I like to cook, but their breakfasts put me to shame --- simply wonderful. And they knew the area well and gave us lots of good tips on what to do and where to eat. We found the location to be very well suited for making day trips to many places on the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas. Sequim itself has a nice small downtown, and there are several great restaurant options. We will definitely come to this lodge again. I'd give it 10 dots if TripAdvisor would let me.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AnOregonian
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 1, 2006

Wonderful inn in a beautiful setting (with ponds, frogs, etc.). Great place to go to relax and unwind and feel pampered. Terrific hosts -- extremely helpful with maps, suggestions, video library, etc.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Olympic Lodge
Juan de Fuca Cottages
Olympic View Inn
Olympic View Inn
#6 of 10 in Sequim

Been to Lost Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!