“A must see!!”

lynden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A must see!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2007

we went to the olympic game farm who has been open to the public for 40 YEARS now and a 28 year contract with Walt Disney films before that, we had the most wonderful time!! the employees were very helpful in detail about any questions we may have had about the care of the animals. I wanted to see for my self after reading mixed reviews.
You drive through and look and feed if you dare, domesticated llamas yak, kodiak bear black bear and more!! At first it looked to me that the bears were given poor enclosures to sleep and for shade but after talking to the staff i found that the metal roofs are just a cover for large caves they get to sleep in. and since all the bears have been tamed and are friendly the wire fence is all they need to keep inside and they respect it.. and the power of the fence is no more than a horse fence. I asked the staff and they let me know that the employees get shocked by the fence more than the bears do.
as for the predator animal enclosures I got to see first hand how well these animals were taken care of. They are fed fresh meat (not rotten) and these animals slimply enjoy it !! we asked if they were happy with there room to live so the employee walked us over and they are like a big house pets!! they love to be scratched and played with and most are senior animals 10+ yrs... the cages are a comfortable home for them and are easier to keep the animal domesticated and friendly, since all the animals on the farm are freindly towards the staff that i saw. they do not run abound even when they are put into larger enclosures, mainly lazy and enoying the sunshine. The bison were great!! they come up to your window looking for a snack not BEGGING like most would say about the animals i saw they have mounds of hay and grain areas for the animals all through out the day. a real adventure for familys!! i would recommed the place to anyone who has a love for animals. any review should have asked the proper questions before putting any negative info of anyone to see!! this place was great!!

6 Thank unforgiven1982

• Korean first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of the most fun things I've ever done!”
Reviewed February 3, 2007

Wow, this place is incredible!

You take a self-guided car tour through all these different animal areas (llamas, zebras, BISON) and they come right up to your car, put their heads INSIDE your windows, and stick their tongues out for bread! The bread is given to you at the beginning of your tour. SO much fun!!! Take some friends :)

Perfectly safe :)

I did it years ago, and I still remember it.

6 Thank flying_pig319
Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Heart Breaking”
Reviewed January 8, 2007

I have always been a lover of all animals great or small, so when I noticed a brochure for the Olympic Game Farm I was naturally intrigued. Upon arrival my hopes of what this place was going to be, quickly sank. After being instructed to not get out of my car while wild animals were meandering about, I was then handed a loaf of bread. Right away the provided enclosures were much to small. Animals were allowed to gorge themselves on as much bread that was given to them and species not even indigenous to the same continent were cohabitating. A sad example would be the herd of yaks and a white rhino all in a dry lot no bigger than a horse riding arena, and a small one at that. Next came the bears...The only divider between me and easily 15 grizzlies was a barb wire fence and 1 electric line. Instead of what you will typically see at reputable facilities for shelter and enrichment, these bears were given scraps of metal, rusty and sharp, to shade themselves while in the blistering sunlight. Almost every bear near the fence line displayed stereotypical behavior, such as sitting on it's haunches and begging for food. By this point the tears were imminant. The last leg of the "tour" was the canines and felines. From my car, a good 15-20 from the cages, I could smell the rotting flesh from the carcasses these animals were given to eat, not to mention the overwhelming stench of urine and feces. As most people know any wild cat or canine needs a lot of room, being that they are typically nomadic. These animals were given cages that could not have been more than 15 x 20. The only words to describe what these animals looked like are hopeless and defeated. I left in tears. Upon returning home I wrote letters to every gov. agency and animal rights group I could think to contact. I was given the same party line every time, as long as the animal can comfortably change body position and is not being "abused" no one can interfere. I ask anyone that is considering a visit to this place to not go. By going and paying admission you are only helping these people stay open.

22 Thank Starbu9651
Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“depressing”
Reviewed September 19, 2006

I have never seen a "zoo" that is so depressing as this facility -apparently, it has been like this for a long time. The animals are allowed to be fed without limitations with bread, available for $ at the entrance, which should not be fed to any animal wild or tame. The prarie dogs were so fat, they looked like little balls with legs. The bears - some of them big Kodiak bears - sat there by the very low electric fence, looking fat with matte fur - waving at the cars to receive more bread. Some of the animals seem to be trained animals, but that made it even sadder.
The large game, elk, bison, deer, yak etc. looked a little better, at least they had more space to roam and grase. They still came up to the car, trying to get their heads into the windows begging for food.
Many of the enclosures seemed inappropriate and outdated for the animals, small square cages for some, electric fences for the bears (unsafe for visitors, although it is not allowed to leave the car), limited roaming space for others and nothing to challenge any of the animals in a natural way.
The whole facility did not seem to be maintained very well. I regret having supported this business with a very high entrance fee (you pay per person in the vehicle) and will not go there again.
I would not recommend anyone to visit the Olympic Game Farm, but rather recommend to spend the day at the Dungeness Spit instead.

14 Thank NWfamily_traveller
Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“So Sad!”
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We went to the game farm this afternoon and felt nothing but saddened at the conditions that the animals were living in. We felt guilty for having patronized an establishment that keeps animals in such poor conditions. The place looks like it is well past its prime. It is in need of upkeep/updating and the animals are kept in conditions that would have been substandard even a decade ago.

The enclosures/cages are in shabby shape and the animals are not living in any type of habitat that is even remotely close to the conditions that they would live in if they were in the wild. While I realize that the animals cannot be released from captivity, the park could adopt a more humane approach to their enclosures/cages and re-fashion them as modern and reputable zoos have done so that the animals live in an environment that bears some resemblance to the animal’s natural habitat. Mind you, I am not against keeping animals in captivity per se, but they should not be kept in enclosures fashioned of concrete pipe, chain link fencing and gravel.

The walking tour was off limits today when we were there, but sadly, we did get a glimpse of a lion lying in a gravel floored cage that appeared much too small for this type of animal. We also saw a lone wolfe enclosed in a similar type of cage. The cages along the walking tour were especially troubling. They were fashioned from concrete, plywood and chain link fencing. They were small and in close proximity to one another. They resembled a shabby dog kennel versus any type of zoo/animal park that would house wild animals. It was troubling to think of Tigers, Lions, and Cougars living in these small cages and we were glad that we were spared seeing them in this deplorable state.

While, it is entertaining to feed a yak or a buffalo, I could not help but think that white bread was probably not the healthiest thing to be feeding a wild animal. I was also troubled that the staff did not give any guidelines on feeding the animals as we entered the park and there appeared to be no controls in place to assure that the animals were only being fed foods that would not upset their digestive systems. We did not see a single staff person once we began the driving tour. The only staff that we saw were at the gift shop and taking money at the gate. Nobody was monitoring what was actually being given to the animals and people were allowed to bring in outside food for feeding the animals.

Kids may appreciate seeing the animals because they can overlook their unnatural and shabby surroundings, but adults who have been to professionally run zoos such as the Woodland Park Zoo or the San Diego Zoo will likely be saddened/troubled by the experience. This roadside zoo is much like zoos in third-world countries where animal rights is an unheard of concept.

I will not patronize this establishment again and would encourage others who are concerned for the humane treatment of animals in captivity to donate their money to charities that advocate for the humane treatment of animals, rather than to give their money to an establishment that seems to only care about lining their pockets since it is painfully obvious that they haven't invested much of their annual proceeds in upkeep of the farm or to improve the living conditions of the animals who line their pockets with cash.

24 Thank 2-lawyers

Been to Olympic Game Farm? Share your experiences!