“Check-in Disaster!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Ramon, California
“Check-in Disaster!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Unbelievably poor check-in process. This hotel knew it was fully booked with wedding parties on Saturday, October 5, 2013, yet they didn't have housekeeping scheduled to start working until 11am that day. I had called two weeks in advance from California to inquire about early check-in and was told to call back when I arrived at SeaTac airport the morning of the 5th, which I did, at 8am. This is when I was told the hotel was fully booked and housekeeping wasn't coming in until 11am. BUT I was told if I called back at around 12:30pm it shouldn't be a problem. Guess what? It was a BIG problem. At this point, numerous guests had arrived to attempt early check-in and a handwritten wait list was being developed. I became #4 on that list. Apparently the front desk people became flustered with the process because it became a complete and utter disaster, with the handwritten waitlist basically being tossed aside and numerous people further down on the waitlist not only getting their rooms before me, but at least one even getting an upgrade. How do I know this? Because these people are my good friends, there for the same wedding I was. I ultimately was put in contact with the manager, Toni, who after all this nonsense only offered me a $20 discount. I suppose I should be happy I got a room at all considering the complete ineptness of the staff at this hotel, but I am not. It's a good thing I likely won't need a hotel in Sequim again, but if I do, it certainly will not be this one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brigette Q
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Brigette Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the hotel was unable to accommodate your early check in request, preventing you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
Yakima, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have stayed here twice now, we are looking for retirement property and wanted a nice hotel. This place fit the bill! The room is appointed nicely with fluffy pillows and firm mattress. We had a two queen room which included a round table and two chairs. Microwave and refrigerator (which was very quiet when running) was also included. The flat screen tv was awesome, also with HBO. The staff is absolutely wonderful, couldn't be friendlier. Breakfast was ok - could have been a little better but if you want a great meal the Black Bear Diner is right next to the hotel. It's in a great location, close to all of Sequim and only a short jaunt to Port Angeles or Port Townsend. Highly recommend~!

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel is good, one side is closer to the highway but is still quiet. We preferre...
Green Features: They are good to recycle - we left cans and a couple of bottles in the "recycle bag" they left on top of the microwave.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SequimMichael_S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope your house hunt goes well, but in the interim, we hope to see you again!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were in Sequim from 9/24-9/26 and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel looked fairly new and our room was beautiful. The amenities were very nice and the hotel staff was always greeting us and happy to help. They even had a manager social gathering one night with complimentary snacks and drinks. We didn't attend but it looked very nice. Our room was always clean by the time we got back from our excursions for the day.

I would also suggest the Black Bear Diner next door as it is their sister property. HUGE portions but still good food.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would have a good view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SequimMichael_S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thanks for staying with us! I'm glad you noticed our Managers Reception on Wednesdays, and I hope that next time, if you are so inclined, you will join us. Our staff does their best to provide high quality service to our guests, and the reception is a great chance for our guests to sound off directly to the manager, or to relax after a day exploring the Olympic Peninsula. I hope we will see you again.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a newer Holiday Inn Express with excellent rooms which are very clean. They have nice amenities; fridge/micro, laundry onsite. It is convenient to the highway and is on the edge of town so you have nice views of the countryside. This appears to be a bit quieter than the other end of town where some other motels are located.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SequimMichael_S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy with our location in Sequim. As you state, we are on the quieter side of town, and there are either valley views on one side, or mountains on the other! I hope you'll choose us again!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

2nd time at this property. Just like last year the grounds are manicured the room was spotless the pool and hot tub clean and ready for use. Breakfast was better than average with a good selection and served in a large bright room kept clean and inviting. The truly stand out aspect of this HIE is the staff and the Mgr. From restaurant recommendations to special requests all were provided with enthusiasm. I was treated as a valued customer and I will return to this property next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us. I'm glad we were able to provide quality service! We do our best to make sure guests feel welcome and comfortable, and I'm happy we were able to do so. I look forward to seeing you next year!
Austin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Checked into the Holiday Inn Express in Sequim, WA. The hotel is very new and clean and does not allow smoking. We were in our room after eating dinner and our bathroom was extremely smoky. I called the front desk to complain and they offered to change our room, however, it was late and we had unpacked.
I asked the front desk to check it out which they promised to do so.
The next night we experienced the same situation. I went downstairs and spoke to the desk manager and was told if someone smokes in the bathroom and turns on the fan , there is no way to determine where the smoke is coming from. He also stated that he had additional complaints from other rooms.
I was told the hotel owner was staying in the building and I asked to speak to him. He came to our room, and explained that it was very difficult to enforce the no-smoking policy. He did offer to either move us or not charge us for the room.
The issue was handled very well by the owner, however, the hotel should have been constructed so smoke does not get into our guests rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank austinbillgolfer
SequimMichael_S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am very sorry for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. We do our best to make sure our smoking policy is very clear, and we enforce it as well as we can. As the hotel owner explained, the ventilation system makes it very hard to determine where a smoke smell is coming from. Guest satisfaction was paramount when we were making design choices, such as our rooftop garden, or our decision to double-up on insulation. Not all eventualities were covered, however, and we do apologize again for any inconvenience.
Tacoma, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've stayed here several times, and the owners and staff appear to be doing a good job of keeping up appearances to HIE standards, because this is still a pleasant and comfortable hotel in an area where much of the competition is pretty shabby. Among the things we like: attractive and thoughtful landscaping around the hotel, good views from almost all sides (you may want to stay away from the Black Bear Diner side, though we're glad it's so popular), tall shower heads and excellent water pressure. Plus, paper coffee cups for better taste as well as eco-friendly, Kirkland water and Seattle Chocolates offered to IHG Rewards members on check in, nice touches all. Andrea was pleasant and calm as usual, though apparently it's been a very busy summer; some of the front desk staff seemed a little frazzled by the pace. Breakfast still very good, well maintained, good HIE variety. Kind of a long drive to the ferry to Canada, though. Ever thought of a property in Port Angeles?

Green Features: Paper coffee cups, trash bags to separate recyclables (cans and plastic bottles), pleas to resuse towells and linens. The first two items seem unique to this property, much appreciated.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for returning! We're glad that you noticed many of our great features and amenities, in particular, our goal of being as eco-friendly as possible. We hope to see you again next time!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Quality Inn & Suites at Olympic National Park
Juan de Fuca Cottages
Olympic View Inn
Olympic View Inn
#5 of 10 in Sequim

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim? Share your experiences!