“Decent with a few minor flaws...but still okay”

Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Decent with a few flaws...the room was clean and the staff was friendly, but the pool was closed (not a big deal to me) and the breakfast area was TOO SMALL, and you're always running into something or someone just to sit down or get up (the breakfast area is no bigger than 15 x 15). There were no elevators, but that's not a huge issue, being that the motel is only two floors. It's not perfect, but it's not bad...I'd stay here again if I'm in Sequim again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wwtraveler7
Kertley V, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for posting your feelings about your stay! Since coming under new management, all hotel staff are doing their part to make all aspects of your stay as pleasant and comfortable as they can be. We are always making changes and improvements to better suit our guests, and we appreciate your understanding.

During your next trip to Sequim, come see the additions and upgrades that we have implemented for an enjoyable vacation!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I'm puzzled by previous negative reviews .. and they almost put me off .. and so I was wary when arriving. However, the hotel was just fine! Large room, very clean, fridge(!), microwave(!) and a very clean bathroom. The only problems were due to ME not knowing that you had to pull the sink tap to get water, it worked fine when I found out the solution and my confusion over 'twizle' light switches. I complained that I couldn't get it to wirk and was embarrassed when shown how by the friendly desk clerk (not the monster previously reported by other reviewers). The air conditioner could take the room from sweaty to chilly in 5 mins. Re car security ref a previous review, much of the car park is not visible from the hotel, as reported, but I felt my car was safe in the car park mainly because thus hotel is in the middle of nowhere !!! The total local crime scene is probably 3 guys all known to the local police! It's not new York!!! All in all a 5 star stay!
The Mexican next door is good value and sells good beer!
The supermarket is a 'hop' across the road (about a 200 yards walk with a road crossing) and it sells everything! ... The traffic is so sparse its easy to get across by foot and get back.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank DaveOfNorwich
Kertley V, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Hello Valued Guest,

We at the Holiday Plaza Sequim Inn & Suites would like to sincerely thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

After reading some other reviews, I was expecting a basic, budget hotel and that is what we got. The room was clean, but small, and the pool was very warm and inviting. The staff were friendly and I was pleased that contrary to other reviews, they did have staff on site all the time. The breakfast was basic, but tasty. My only regret was that they did not have any decaf coffee, and they did say they hope to get some in stock soon. our other challenge was finding the hotel, we drove right past it, as the road sign has their old name on it..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello Valued Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience at our hotel. We appreciate it and we take everything our guests say into consideration to ensure that your next stay is more enjoyable. I apologize for not having any decaf coffee for you. It is something we are looking into and would like to have for our guests in the future.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Holiday Plaza Sequim Inn & Suites.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

After reading many of the negative reviews of the Holiday Plaza, Sequim. I was pleasantly surprise when I got there on 7/19/12. (stayed 3 nights). The lobby was invitingly nice, the clerk was very professional. My room was clean with (looks like) new carpets, bathroom was very clean and well stocked. Had good working refrigerator, microwave, airconditioner, TV and coffee machine. Indoor pool was clean and used by guests. Lots of free parking . Sequim is not where you go for Four-Star hotels, actually, my room was a lot better than the more expensive, Holiday Inn, near Sea-Tec airport. If I ever return to Sequim , I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I travel extensively and try to stay in affordable locations that are convenient and clean. Staying here was simply horrible. Their Website is misleading (site is nice and looks great)while the images are probably 20 years old. Its as if the website and the Hotel aren't connected at all. After my experience, I asked for a small partial refund (for being so mislead) and I called (office was closed when I left and couldn't check out because no one manned the Front Desk) the manager and he hung up on my 3 times. So, here we go 1) There is NO Staff is at the property in the Evenings through to 7AM. Meaning, this rundown hotel is unmanned in case of emergencies or No help what-so-ever for whatever reason. So, you’re on your own. Of which actually is better than dealing with the next issue. 2) The Afternoon/Early Evening Manager is a Jerk and doesn’t care about anyone and thinks quite a bit of himself while talking down to you. On the other hand, the older man with the grey ponytail was nice and did care and I thought him to be embarrassed by his Manager and the fact that he work with him along with his behavior. 3) When you park your car, it’s defiantly “Park at your own Risk” because the parking area isn’t visible from the Hotel Office or Lobby. The parking lot is in front and way below (approx 20’ below) the entrance level that has a 4 foot concrete wall around the ramp up to and away from the entrance. Only the handicap parking has a few spots that are visible and on the ramp level. I actually was worried of my vehicle being broken into the entire night. The broken glass in the parking lot sort of proved my point. 4) The Hot Tub and Pool seem to be in constant repairs. The Pool area is indoors and truly nasty. Nasty smelling and it appears that the paint and the tiles at the bottom, stairs and seats of both pools were really worn out (blue coverings now worn out white). The jets are non-functioning. So, if you like bathing with people you don’t know this is your kind of Hot Tub. 5) The rooms and hallways smell like it was time to change the carpet years ago. Fresh paint would be nice. Fixing the beat up bathrooms and removing the heavy Caulked areas in those bathrooms would help. 6) The “included” Continental Breakfast starts at 7:30AM and offers Eggo Waffles and the minimal allowable to be called a Continental Breakfast. I refused to eat anything there because the place is so dirty I just couldn’t bring myself to eat anything there... Yikes.
In closing, the only thing that I liked about the property is that they had a room available. Once you see and live the experience you will understand the availabilities. Oh, this property boasted a Transfer of Ownership and Management (verbally and on the front door) while boasting a separation from the Brand Hotel chain who previously ran this dump.
Also, I spoke with several people in the community and they stated that that Hotel has a “Reputation”. The $39.95 place down towards town should charge more in comparison to the $79.95 I paid here.
Please, learn from my mistake...

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Robert K
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We apologize for your uncomfortable experience at our hotel. Management attempted
to address each of the many complaints you expressed. We do appreciate all comments
and suggestions from our clientele. Hopefully you can find a more acceptable place
to stay, next time you are in Sequim. We are open to renegotiating our refund policies.
If a 50% refund would mitigate your dissatisfaction, please feel free to contact us via
e-mail --info@sequiminn.com. Thank-you.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I booked this hotel thru Hotels.com for next Saturday, just because my apartment doesnt have a tub and I love a hot soak. I checked today to be sure i could get a ground floor room and the people were so nasty that i never got to that point. The manager kept telling me I didnt know what I was doing, I didnt know that there is NO difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express, it ws my fault,. I must have clicked the wrong hotel on the internet, I cant tell the difference, etc. He was so defensive that I said, I'll just cancel the reservation and he shouted at me as I left," the Holdiay Inn is all full anyway?" I'll never try to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feedback. We appreciate your honesty. Our goal at the Holiday Plaza Sequim Inn & Suites is to provide a sincere and all round customer service. We apologize if you feel like you did not receive that. We did try to explain to you that we were not the Holiday Inn and you weren't willing to listen. I tried telling you that your reservation may be at the Holiday Inn Express next door but you started shouting and walked out. I politely told you to have a good day.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a hotel at an affordable price while we were in Sequim and came across this hotel. At first, seeing the reviews made me not want to stay there but I read that it had new management so we decided to try it out. The property can use some touching up but inside was more than acceptable. The staff was kind. The room was clean and the pool was good. The price was very hard to beat considering the other hotels that offer pretty much the same amenities were twice as much. We would definitely stay there again.

Thanks for the peace and quiet :)

Room Tip: The second floor is really quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
#3 of 16 in Port Angeles
Olympic Lodge
Olympic Lodge
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim? Share your experiences!