“Pleasant Surprise”

Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Sequim
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After reading many of the negative reviews of the Holiday Plaza, Sequim. I was pleasantly surprise when I got there on 7/19/12. (stayed 3 nights). The lobby was invitingly nice, the clerk was very professional. My room was clean with (looks like) new carpets, bathroom was very clean and well stocked. Had good working refrigerator, microwave, airconditioner, TV and coffee machine. Indoor pool was clean and used by guests. Lots of free parking . Sequim is not where you go for Four-Star hotels, actually, my room was a lot better than the more expensive, Holiday Inn, near Sea-Tec airport. If I ever return to Sequim , I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Kertley V, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I travel extensively and try to stay in affordable locations that are convenient and clean. Staying here was simply horrible. Their Website is misleading (site is nice and looks great)while the images are probably 20 years old. Its as if the website and the Hotel aren't connected at all. After my experience, I asked for a small partial refund (for being so mislead) and I called (office was closed when I left and couldn't check out because no one manned the Front Desk) the manager and he hung up on my 3 times. So, here we go 1) There is NO Staff is at the property in the Evenings through to 7AM. Meaning, this rundown hotel is unmanned in case of emergencies or No help what-so-ever for whatever reason. So, you’re on your own. Of which actually is better than dealing with the next issue. 2) The Afternoon/Early Evening Manager is a Jerk and doesn’t care about anyone and thinks quite a bit of himself while talking down to you. On the other hand, the older man with the grey ponytail was nice and did care and I thought him to be embarrassed by his Manager and the fact that he work with him along with his behavior. 3) When you park your car, it’s defiantly “Park at your own Risk” because the parking area isn’t visible from the Hotel Office or Lobby. The parking lot is in front and way below (approx 20’ below) the entrance level that has a 4 foot concrete wall around the ramp up to and away from the entrance. Only the handicap parking has a few spots that are visible and on the ramp level. I actually was worried of my vehicle being broken into the entire night. The broken glass in the parking lot sort of proved my point. 4) The Hot Tub and Pool seem to be in constant repairs. The Pool area is indoors and truly nasty. Nasty smelling and it appears that the paint and the tiles at the bottom, stairs and seats of both pools were really worn out (blue coverings now worn out white). The jets are non-functioning. So, if you like bathing with people you don’t know this is your kind of Hot Tub. 5) The rooms and hallways smell like it was time to change the carpet years ago. Fresh paint would be nice. Fixing the beat up bathrooms and removing the heavy Caulked areas in those bathrooms would help. 6) The “included” Continental Breakfast starts at 7:30AM and offers Eggo Waffles and the minimal allowable to be called a Continental Breakfast. I refused to eat anything there because the place is so dirty I just couldn’t bring myself to eat anything there... Yikes.
In closing, the only thing that I liked about the property is that they had a room available. Once you see and live the experience you will understand the availabilities. Oh, this property boasted a Transfer of Ownership and Management (verbally and on the front door) while boasting a separation from the Brand Hotel chain who previously ran this dump.
Also, I spoke with several people in the community and they stated that that Hotel has a “Reputation”. The $39.95 place down towards town should charge more in comparison to the $79.95 I paid here.
Please, learn from my mistake...

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Robert K
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

We apologize for your uncomfortable experience at our hotel. Management attempted
to address each of the many complaints you expressed. We do appreciate all comments
and suggestions from our clientele. Hopefully you can find a more acceptable place
to stay, next time you are in Sequim. We are open to renegotiating our refund policies.
If a 50% refund would mitigate your dissatisfaction, please feel free to contact us via
e-mail --info@sequiminn.com. Thank-you.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I booked this hotel thru Hotels.com for next Saturday, just because my apartment doesnt have a tub and I love a hot soak. I checked today to be sure i could get a ground floor room and the people were so nasty that i never got to that point. The manager kept telling me I didnt know what I was doing, I didnt know that there is NO difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express, it ws my fault,. I must have clicked the wrong hotel on the internet, I cant tell the difference, etc. He was so defensive that I said, I'll just cancel the reservation and he shouted at me as I left," the Holdiay Inn is all full anyway?" I'll never try to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feedback. We appreciate your honesty. Our goal at the Holiday Plaza Sequim Inn & Suites is to provide a sincere and all round customer service. We apologize if you feel like you did not receive that. We did try to explain to you that we were not the Holiday Inn and you weren't willing to listen. I tried telling you that your reservation may be at the Holiday Inn Express next door but you started shouting and walked out. I politely told you to have a good day.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a hotel at an affordable price while we were in Sequim and came across this hotel. At first, seeing the reviews made me not want to stay there but I read that it had new management so we decided to try it out. The property can use some touching up but inside was more than acceptable. The staff was kind. The room was clean and the pool was good. The price was very hard to beat considering the other hotels that offer pretty much the same amenities were twice as much. We would definitely stay there again.

Thanks for the peace and quiet :)

Room Tip: The second floor is really quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Theresa P

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Okay, let me start with the fact that I feel *really* sorry for the new manager. When I talked to him at check-in, he mentioned he had just moved there last week. He was really nice and helpful but you can tell he knows he's got his hands full!

We reserved this place 'blind' online while on the road. We went to our room and it was only half made up! One bed was made, one bed was torn apart (sheets still on floor) and the bathroom was obviously used. I told the manager (who was working the front desk) about it and he looked horrified. He immediately got us a new room and went to check it personally for us. That room was fine. The room was acceptable. The bathroom was the bare minimum of what I would normally accept. The room was surface clean - clean counters and tub and towels. However, the room was dingy and the tile needed a serious deep clean. A few of the bathroom items were in need of repair or replacement in the near future, too.

There is a free breakfast in the morning but I sort of wish we had gone out for breakfast. One, there is limited seating (3 small tables) so we had to wait for a table. Two, they were out of everything when we got there (at ~8am when the breakfast runs to 9:30am). To her credit, the front desk person was frantically trying to keep up us - bringing more waffle batter, more fruit, etc. It was too much for her since she was running the front desk and checkouts, too! Third, cleanliness was an issue again. Since the poor person was running around frantically, she certainly didn't have time to clean. Counters and tables were dirty and sticky and dirty dishes were stacked in the sink.

The place has potential and I certainly hope the new manager can improve this place!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank KimJ_in_Oregon
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Dirty, poorly maintained, worthless front desk staff. If you book one of their jacuzzi rooms make sure you ask that they clean out the last guest's pubic hairs first.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xjamesx
Kertley V, General Manager at Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for saying at our hotel and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I want to apologize for the bad experience you had at our hotel. Just to let you the hotel has new owners and new management. We ask that you give us a chance as we the new management take the time to fix the issues that you encountered and to ensure they don't happen again. I look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
#1 of 16 in Port Angeles
Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
#3 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Inn & Suites- Sequim? Share your experiences!