“Resident Peacock More Welcoming than Owners & Don't Bring Kids!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sequim
John Wayne's Waterfront Resort
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I had read a few reviews prior and thought this a great place to stay as we were looking for a much needed family vacation. First question from the ladies who run the joint, 'ARE YOUR KIDS LOUD'? I was taken aback, my kids (isn't everyone's?) loud by nature, especially when they are excited and running around while camping and playing. She said there were kids who stayed there previously who screamed for a few hours and they had calls from the 'resident' campers. This interaction made me VERY uncomfortable, nothing I want to be while enjoying the first real vacation in 4 years. I felt as though I had to keep my kids quiet, and my husband was upset by the whole deal as well, even telling the woman from the front desk who drove over to the marina to remind us that she let us (after telling us to) drive on the grass to park the first time around, but that we should not do that again. My husband was pretty fired up.

Her response to my husband saying that kids are kids and we may need to find somewhere else more welcoming to kids? "NO REFUNDS". So we dealt with it, and figured if anyone had an issue with us that we would just tell them, 'sorry, no refunds!'.

Good part about this place? They have a resident peacock who roams around, as friendly as a nice dog, and loves to eat crackers, etc. The access to the beach across the street is wonderful, and the place is pretty clean. There are no trees or blocking privacy between sites, but if you go at the right time, they space you out pretty well.

Location & peacock get the 2 stars!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Angela C
There are newer reviews for John Wayne's Waterfront Resort

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We spent two months at the Resort this past summer(2011) and had an absolutely wonderful time. The ladies running the property have to fill many shoes from front desk to mowing to fixing plumbing and electrical problems. The are kept very busy and we feeL they do a GREAT JOB. Like every place we have stayed across the U.S. and Canada, the campgrounds have rules and regulations everyone is expected to follow, So having your feeling hurt by someone enforcing the regulations makes you a very small person. I made mistakes and was told to correct them. BIG DEAL. The vast majority of the guests we had contact with were very pleased with their stay and were having a great time. We did encounter some guests who did not follow regulations and were told to do so. AGAIN WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL. I really think there are simply too many people who expect to be treated with candy. My wife and I were school teachers for over 30 years and understand the PUBLIC thinks they can do and say whatever and whenever they feel fit. That attitude is simply not right. Those of us who did as expected had a wonderful experience. Yes, the laundry room could stand to be udated, but is that the fault of the managers? I don't know, but the equipment that was there worked perfectly.

I give this resort and the managers my highest recommendation and hope more people get to enjoy their stay at the resort. Jack and Pat Fariss, Pearland, Texas

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JackFariss
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My friend and I were awed by the beautiful views and hospitality of the managers and other guests. This place provides wonderful camping (RV and terrific cabins) facilities, helpful knowledgeable staff and clean quiet surroundings. Just what I was looking for. Was able to watch huge flocks of geese and duck land right out in front of my cabin on the water as they began their migration South. I found Wanda and Annalee helpful knowledgable and friendly. Cheri from Dallas

Room Tip: All cabins have great view. I liked the cabin closest to the RVs on the top of the hill.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Cheri C
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have stayed at the Sequim Bay Resort multiple times and have found the park to be exceptional. Not only are the cabins clean, comfortable, well appointed with everyday needs but the managers are friendly, courteous and very helpful suggesting things to do and places of interest. This is one of the places I do not hesitate to recommend or suggest to friends and family. My most recent visit to SBR was July 2011. We went crabbing and had a wonderful time. Our crab catch was the daily limit. So, if ever in Sequim or nearby, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: All cabins have a water view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank PK44
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This last August, we visited friends who stay at the Sequim Bay Resort RV park every summer. At first we were in a motel in town, which was just a basic "no frills" motel room. We found out we could get one of the cabins at the Sequim Bay Resort for the last 3 nights of our stay in Sequim. The cost of the cabin was the same price we were paying for the motel room. We were so happy that we made the move. The cabin was charming and the view of Sequim Bay was fabulous. We got up early every day just to watch the sunrise over the bay. We also enjoyed walking to the Marina where there is a very good restaurant. We found the managers at the Resort to be helpful and were given several sight seeing tips.

We are hoping to return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2retired49ers
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The bay is lovely, and the quiet location is a great base for seeing the area. The grounds are pretty standard, with good-sized, accessible spaces. Facilities are kept clean and working, but are clearly aging. The real problem is the lady running the place. Rude when we made the reservation, tyrannical at check-in, and downright mean when one of our party parked in the wrong place (that was not identified as such). Avoid her as much as possible, and a stay here should be fine.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank CreativeScreenName
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was a truely unpleasant experience. The first encounter with the owners started out bad. The woman was arrogant and rude from the get-go. After getting set up I called to ask if we could take our portable fire pit to the location where they allow fires to use to make s'more. I identified myself and where we were parked and asked nicely how the woman who answered was. She snapped back at me that she had guests there. This was odd since when I checked in she did not seem the least bit hesitant to take a phone call and make me wait for her to finish. In response to my request I felt like I she was treating me like she was a drill instructor using very strorng language about using the pit and such comments as "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" As a result we did not take the chance on using the portable fire pit.

We left as early as we could on our last day there because of the unpleasantness and will never subject ouselves to that kind of anti -customer abuse again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank amateurw7vp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequim
Sequim Bay Lodge
#3 of 16 in Port Angeles
Olympic View Inn
Olympic View Inn
#4 of 10 in Sequim

Been to John Wayne's Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!