“My favorite things all in one place!”

Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Sequim
More attraction details
Owner description: The Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge is home to over 250 species of endangered birds, fish and mammals.
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I once walked Dungeness Spit by myself to the old lighthouse on a beautiful Spring day. It is a memory I will never forget. This year my husband and I wanted a long weekend away and we chose Sequim. It started with a ferry ride from Edmonds which is the way to start a vacation. We left the city behind and stayed 4 days at Dungeness Bay Cottages which were wonderful. The weather was still intermittent rain but we packed for it and drove our first full day in Sequim to Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge. I forgot it was a national park and had a fee but luckily we have a lifetime pass as we are Seniors. The naturalist/park ranger met us at the trailhead and was a wealth of information and a neat guy. We walked through the forest, admired the different trees, especially the old cedars, and it was a lovely walk. Once on the beach we paused to take a few photos of a juvenile bald eagle that flew to a tall stump and continued to walk until the rain began to get heavy. I put almost 5 miles on my FitBit fitness monitor on that walk and intend to walk to the new lighthouse the next time we are there. Gorgeous woods, wildlife refuge, and salt water all in one location. Don't miss this!

2  Thank Nora J

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had a great morning, hiking down to the spit and along the beach. We didn't go as far as the lighthouse (5+miles) but greatly enjoyed walking along the spit for quite a ways. Saw ducks and heron, and enjoyed the driftwood and waves, and the pretty walk back up through the forest.

1  Thank DLGRDG
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have visited here many times and this is a great wildlife refuge for hiking, photography and spotting birds.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We make a point to visit the spit every time we go to the Olympic Pennisula, summer or winter. We've never made it all the way to the lighthouse - but someday. It is one of the most refreshing hikes i've been on - a long walk through the trees to the beach, and then miles of beach in front of you. Lots of seals, ship traffic,, boats, always something to see.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My family has been going to this area for over 20 years. It is a must on our list when visiting Sequim. It has a diverse ecosystem and is never the same experience. It is great for all ages (even my teenage son liked it!)