“Fisherman Only”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sekiu
Mason's Olson Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sekiu
Tacoma, Washington
“Fisherman Only”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is one of the worst "resorts" I have ever been able to say I've stayed at. The only reason to come back would be for the staff, who seem to do all they can to keep up with the dilapidated condition of the units. They seemed to be over-whelmed with the crowds during Halibut season, I can't imagine the crowds during Salmon season and how run-down the units would be by then. The unit we stayed in had no hot water, birds living in the attic, most of the framing was shimmed up and supported by spare pieces of wood. I don't want to give this place a bad rating! I want to be able to go to a beautiful area like Sekiu repeatedly and look forward to the stay, but it won't be here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Spoder

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Shelton, Washington, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

ya it's old, a bit run down.... the staff is great... everyones friendly... if your looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel you might want to head back to seattle.... this is a fishing town, the hotel was built for a few people/family to stay, get up early and go have some fun catching salmon, and that's what we did....the rooms have a small kitchen with dishes...... the store is next door so you can get that gallon of milk you left at home...... yes the place is basic, but the history, talking to the people and especially the fishing makes up for it!!!!

Room Tip: room 16 and 17 have 2 queens........ the others have a queen and a double...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Thea P
Marysville
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Funny thing, we read all of the reviews and I think people have forgotten that they are staying in a "fish camp" town. We found Olson's to be exactly what we were looking for, a place away from home that still had that old time feeling. Sure, the units could use a little bit of upgrades, but after talking to many of the long timers who call Olson's home, (trust me there are a lot of them), I came to the understanding that this is why many of the people come back. We heard many stories on our trip about how many of their patrons had been doing these trips there whole lives, how awesome! I wouldn't have changed anything, the staff were overly friendly and very knowledgeable about fishing and accomodations. The places were clean, convienant, and if you were lucky, they smelled like fish because you had caught some. We fully recommend this resort as a must stop if your in Sekiu!

Room Tip: The camping cabins are great if you bring your own bedding, its like old fashioned camping at its be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Laura S
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed at Olson's Resort dry camping area for 5 days, July 11-15, 2012. Now, myself I just enjoy camping and it was great camping to me. We were straight across the water from the boating area where the fishermen and women come and go. On Saturday morning the town has a parade which starts at 11 am and only lasts a short time, maybe 30 minutes at the most I would say. Saturday night down off the Olson docks, there is a huge fireworks display that is very enjoyable. Now the other members of the family camping outing were fishers but the problem was the water gets rough and foggy sometimes, which means they became campers, too LOL LOL. On clear days you can see Canada across the waters. My 31 year old son did manage to catch 2 nice fish to take home. I myself don't go out in no water where I can't see the bottom or know that the bottom is over 10 feet deep.

I have no information on the boat ramps conditions or the rental places. I hauled my own 23 foot travel trailer. I do know alot of our camping group took showers in the free shower facility. I never heard of any complaining about the showers. Garbage pickups were constant.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BigTPoppa
Everett, Washington
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The good thing is that the hotel section is within walking distance to the dock. Thats it. The room was dusty and dirty when we arrived, the burners on the stove were falling apart with dangling wires, the refrigerator was new but had not been cleaned and smelled of rotten fish. we brought our own sleeping bags in case and it was good we did, however I wish we had brought our own pillows as they stunk so bad we couldn't use them. We used their cooler for our catch of fish and were told no one could go in without them present so it was safe. However when we had them take us in to get our fish back out there was a guy in there going through the stored fish. He was apparently someone they knew by name and they didn't seem like they cared what he did.
It doesn't take that much to have a little customer service and cleanliness, but you do have to care. No wonder the place always has rooms available. It wouldn't if they cared just a little.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia B
Burien, Washington
Reviewed August 22, 2011

When planning our trip to the Olympic Peninsula it wasn't until the last minute that I remembered to book a room for a Saturday night. When calling around most of the lodges had nothing available or wanted a two night minimum and we only needed the one. Until I reached John at Olson's Resort, what a nice guy very helpful and squeezed me in. I wasn't expecting much because of the timing of the booking and the inexpensive price of the room, But..Holy cow, I could not have been more pleased with my accommodations.aside from the expected facts that it was clean with the normal amenities, including dishware. The room itself was so quaint and cozy it was like being at the family cottage complete with wood burning stove, front deck that over looked the Marina and the view was spectacular, It was a blast watching the fishermen scurrying around with their boats and their catch of the day and the sunrise the next morning was glorious, I really scored points with my girlfriend on this trip. Trust me we"re going back.

Room Tip: Room #50 has a great view and if you don't like boat noise you shouldn't stay in a fishing v...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray H
Aberdeen, Washington
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I want people to know that you must be prepared to supply a great portion of your own kitchen supplies as well as blankets, towels, etc. if you stay in the cabins. My first visit to Olson's I rented a cabin unaware that it came unfurnished. I will admit that did make my stay a bit uncomfortable. I now rent a cabin once a year and I am prepared and that makes all the difference when wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Olson's Resort is under going some remodeling changes and the improvement is great.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tracydickerson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekiu
Van Riper's Resort
The Dew Drop Inn Motel
Wild Renfrew Seaside Cottages
Wild Renfrew Seaside Cottages
#1 of 8 in Port Renfrew

Been to Mason's Olson Resort? Share your experiences!