“Unexpected pleasant surprise, we are already planning our return”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sekiu
Mason's Olson Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sekiu
Burien, Washington
“Unexpected pleasant surprise, we are already planning our return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

When planning our trip to the Olympic Peninsula it wasn't until the last minute that I remembered to book a room for a Saturday night. When calling around most of the lodges had nothing available or wanted a two night minimum and we only needed the one. Until I reached John at Olson's Resort, what a nice guy very helpful and squeezed me in. I wasn't expecting much because of the timing of the booking and the inexpensive price of the room, But..Holy cow, I could not have been more pleased with my accommodations.aside from the expected facts that it was clean with the normal amenities, including dishware. The room itself was so quaint and cozy it was like being at the family cottage complete with wood burning stove, front deck that over looked the Marina and the view was spectacular, It was a blast watching the fishermen scurrying around with their boats and their catch of the day and the sunrise the next morning was glorious, I really scored points with my girlfriend on this trip. Trust me we"re going back.

Room Tip: Room #50 has a great view and if you don't like boat noise you shouldn't stay in a fishing v...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Aberdeen, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I want people to know that you must be prepared to supply a great portion of your own kitchen supplies as well as blankets, towels, etc. if you stay in the cabins. My first visit to Olson's I rented a cabin unaware that it came unfurnished. I will admit that did make my stay a bit uncomfortable. I now rent a cabin once a year and I am prepared and that makes all the difference when wanting to relax.

Room Tip: Olson's Resort is under going some remodeling changes and the improvement is great.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tracydickerson
Everett, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

poor maintenance. electrical, unclean, etc. My wife would NEVER stay here. feel sorry for owners who have a tough go of it.

Room Tip: book another motal
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank sisjhd
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

The place is a step above a fishing camp. There's nothing wrong with a fishing camp except $100 a night is too much for this place - and we had "The Honeymoon Suite". Sixty dollars a night would have made it acceptble but supply and demand drives the price up.

The motel rooms are interspersed among tent campers (right outside our door) and RVs. Still not too bad, right? However, the property is very rundown. Our deck (leave the curtains closed because the campers can see in) had a folded roll away bed on it (yep, outside) and holes in it were "fixed" with asphalt roof tiles. The refrigerator smelled like fish - no surprise. Nothing like a bunch of diesel pickups starting-up just outside the room to go fishing early in the morning.

Rumour is that Curley's has been for sale hence no money has been put into it for a long time. The worst part however is the reputation for lack of cleanliness it has among locals. If you do stay there, do yourself a favor and don't tell the locals.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank rocoloco
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Unfortunately this place is in decline. The buildings are dilapidated and the docks are barely floating. The bolts sticking out all over the docks will do some serious damage to your boat. It's too bad there is a lot of potential.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Traveler_XSeattle
Blaine, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

I have been staying a week or so at Olson's Resort every year for the past 7 years. Olson's is clean, comfortably furnished, good shower, great view, cable TV and has a spot to set my BBQ outside. The office staff go out of their way to make my stay great. Olson's store has any fishing gear or bait I might have forgot to bring with me or that I need to replace. I generally get a non-smoking room with 2 double beds, a fold out couch and a small kitchen with microwave, toaster & coffee pot. I fish! After fishing, I sleep! When I get enough sleep, I fish! If it rains I travel a short distance to a local pub and enjoy a good hamburger and play a few games of pool. When the rain stops, I fish. The rates charged by Olson's is fair, the boat docks are in OK shape, gas is available, at the dock, at a fair price, a huge walk-in freezer is available to stow your catch. When I go to Olson's with my son, we just can't ask for more. To me, Olson's is a rare jewel in the Pacific Northwest! I highly recommend this place.
rgbonk

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — There is nothing to dislike
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Rgbonk
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

Olson's Resort has been operating in the tiny fishing town of Sekiu for decades. Unfortunately, the accomodations definitely show their age and are in need of updating.

However, since the primary reason to visit Sekiu is to take advantage of the often great salmon and bottomfishing opportunities available, basic accomodations are sufficient.

Olsons offers motel units, some with kitchenettes, and satellite
tv. While I found our room to be clean, the beds were hard and the decor is several decades old.

There are Rv spots available, and areas to pitch a tent.

Olsens offers boat rental, launching and moorage, and everything else a fisherperson might need.

• Liked — Convenient
  • Disliked — outdated rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BiLLYiZME
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekiu
Van Riper's Resort
Wild Renfrew Seaside Cottages
#1 of 8 in Port Renfrew
The Pacific Inn Motel
Huckleberry Lodge Cabins

Been to Mason's Olson Resort? Share your experiences!