“Only ate dinner here and it was terrible!!!!”
Review of Shelburne Inn

Shelburne Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Seaview B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2009

My family and I ate dinner in The Shelburne Inn and it was terrible. A very over rated establishment. Poor value, poor service (our server had the shakes and was foul smelling), and the food was not that great!!!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank onedad

Reviewed August 22, 2009

The Inn is authentically old, the rooms have period furnishings, and true to their time (1910 or so), the rooms are small, but now have bathrooms. The restaurant is the reason to come here. The food is quite good, the seafood is fresh from local fishermen, etc. Oysters from Willapa Bay etc. Breakfast is free, and there are a lot of unique choices, such as Omelet with Italian sausage filling. Or Oysters for breakfast. The innkeeper is quite friendly As to location: the Inn is on a main road and the view out the front door is a supermaket across the street. However the inn sits a mile or so away from the pacific Ocean. Once you find the access roads, the beach is a great place for a walk (or ride a horse if so inclined). There is a bike path next to the beach. Cons: the Inn needs some more parking spaces, you can park on the street or on one side of the Inn.However if you are in the SW corner of Washington, this. is the place to stay and to dine.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I staggered into the Shelburne, soaked through having limped in on a partially-disabled bike that I had left at the Shell station down the street, awaiting a tow in the morning. The very friendly proprietors were super-sympathetic "what you need is a claw-foot tub!" / "do you think I need to get any wetter?" / "with *hot* water! and fluffy towels!" and even brought me cookies up to my room. After I showered and dried off I ate dinner and had good local beer in the pub downstairs. In the morning they opened up early so I could have the included gourmet fresh hot breakfast before my 8am tow guy arrived to pick up my bike. At all times they were really loving and caring and I couldn't have found a better home for my recovery! Thanks guys!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Shelburne for 3 nights as part of a wedding weekend group. I loved our stay - it was the ideal hotel for someone who likes good food, and who likes to read a lot, or enjoy a cozy getaway.
Best parts about the Inn: BREAKFAST - it's absolutely delicious. If you even remotely like oatmeal, then you have to try theirs - it's over the top good. My husband is a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. He thought breakfast was a bit fancy and maybe TOO gourmet for his tastes, but he still agreed it's delicious. We both enjoyed everything we tried off the breakfast menu.
COZY, Historic looking ROOMS, charming layout of all the rooms (from bottom floor to third floor). For me (a woman on the small side) our room was just right. Our room was room #8 - we had a comfortable queen size bed - though I did have to practically crawl into bed because it was so high. The bathroom was large for a bed & breakfast. My husband is a larger guy, and loved the size of the bathroom and shower. He felt like our room was too small for if we had to stay any longer, but he agreed it was a comfortable bed. We enjoyed sharing a spacious, private deck with Room #1 - since we were good friends with the guests in #1.
VERY HOSPITABLE STAFF - every member of the staff was nice to us, asking questions about our stay, etc- they were warm and gracious - but they weren't nosy or interfere
MAIN ENTRY ROOM, "the Lobby" - If you like to read, this is an awesome room to relax in and get away from your party for a while. There are tons of comfy chairs, and this main room is never busy except maybe in the evening hours around dinner time. Also, they had complimentary coffee and tea available all day in this room.
---
Only negatives - it's hard to critique this bed & breakfast, because I loved it so much. We never heard our neighbors or any noise from below or above, but our room was in a very good location.
But I guess from my husband's perspective and our neighbors in room #1, I can say they had a couple critiques. Our neighbors in #1 could hear people from the breakfast room below them, whenever it got rowdy or loud. With it being a wedding weekend, the breakfast area did at times get noisy. My husband also commented that he didn't think they had air conditioning. I didn't notice too much - but he got hot at times. We kept a window open the whole time... and that area of Washington is cooler even in the summer.
The location of this Inn is ideal - it is right across the street from a grocery store. It feels like a center of activity, because it had a lot of people coming and going in the evening. There is a nice looking bar area in one room, and also a fine-dining area as well.
The sleeping rooms are kept separate enough, and everything is run very professionally, and it all feels charming and efficient.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The rooms were quite beautiful and clean, but small. The claw-foot tub and shower were charming to look at, but not great to use. They say they have Internet, but it was down. The location was convenient, but we could hear traffic, and the parking was limited. The diningroom provided us with a delicious breakfast (except for our daughter who ate an unexceptional cooked cereal.) Our main complaint was that, though we asked three times, no one would even ask the chef if he could accommodate our daughter's dietary restrictions. We had to eat dinner elsewhere. If the inn had been packed, I could understand their reluctance to ask about leaving ingredients out, but it was a chilly Monday and there were only a couple other rooms booked. We were disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Misbee
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We stayed at the Shelburne's Audubon Cottage and were absolutely delighted with our accommodations. It is a beachfront, craftsman's cottage with all the amenities plus an outstanding view of the ocean. The stained glass windows were created by a truly gifted artisan. The serene cove-like atmosphere provides a quiet, tranquil, and relaxing "get away from it all" environment.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shelburne for two nights mid-week. The only thing I can say negative about this place is the lack of personal attention that we typically receive at smaller bed and breakfast inns. However, with17 (I think) guest rooms, it is hard for the owners to be that up close and personal, and for what it's worth, we did have a chance to visit with David at dinner and also the next morning at breakfast.

Our room was small, but that was fine with us. It was decorated in blue and white with bead board paneling on the walls, also painted blue. It was very fresh looking and very clean. I did not enjoy getting in and out of the clawfoot tub in our bathroom, so after the first morning I opted for a shower. My husband had no complaints about the tub. We did notice a lot of traffic noise and hollering outside on the street later at night than is acceptable, but that was not the fault of the establishment. When you stay in a town as opposed to the country you have to expect that sort of thing. It only bothered us one night.

The breakfasts were very good (except for the chef's penchant for putting mushrooms in almost every dish). Not being a fan of mushrooms, my choices on the menu were limited. But the food was excellent and we always left well satisfied. We also had dinner at the their restaurant one of the nights we were there, and the food was good except that my salmon was partially raw in the middle. I don't know whether it was supposed to be that way or not, but I like my fish cooked all the way through!

We would probably stay here again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Worrygrandma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Lighthouse Oceanfront Resort
Adrift Hotel and Spa
#2 of 8 in Long Beach
Best Western Long Beach Inn
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites

Been to Shelburne Inn? Share your experiences!