“Beautiful old hotel”
Review of Shelburne Inn

Shelburne Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Seaview B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shelburne for two nights mid-week. The only thing I can say negative about this place is the lack of personal attention that we typically receive at smaller bed and breakfast inns. However, with17 (I think) guest rooms, it is hard for the owners to be that up close and personal, and for what it's worth, we did have a chance to visit with David at dinner and also the next morning at breakfast.

Our room was small, but that was fine with us. It was decorated in blue and white with bead board paneling on the walls, also painted blue. It was very fresh looking and very clean. I did not enjoy getting in and out of the clawfoot tub in our bathroom, so after the first morning I opted for a shower. My husband had no complaints about the tub. We did notice a lot of traffic noise and hollering outside on the street later at night than is acceptable, but that was not the fault of the establishment. When you stay in a town as opposed to the country you have to expect that sort of thing. It only bothered us one night.

The breakfasts were very good (except for the chef's penchant for putting mushrooms in almost every dish). Not being a fan of mushrooms, my choices on the menu were limited. But the food was excellent and we always left well satisfied. We also had dinner at the their restaurant one of the nights we were there, and the food was good except that my salmon was partially raw in the middle. I don't know whether it was supposed to be that way or not, but I like my fish cooked all the way through!

We would probably stay here again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Worrygrandma

Reviewed August 15, 2008

This was our first bed and breakfast experience. Totally looking forward to staying at a place that my boyfriend saw a review on (Evening Magazine), we took off on his motorcycle for a 6 hour drive to get us there! Finally, at our destination we walk in and are checked in quickly - as Helen walked us to our room, we were quite surprised to find another couple wondering through it!!!! *okay our first B&B experience, is this normal?* We get into the room and of course after 6 hours on the motorcycle are ready to take a shower and go have dinner at the restaurant.
This was the WORST part. Let me just tell you after riding on a motorcycle for 6 hours, all you really want is a hot shower and to be fed. The shower went hot and then cold. The entire time we were jumping in and out of the water just trying to get clean and get out! The towels were not a sumptuous egyptian cotton as stated in a previous review and only 2 in the room. The bed is small, the pillows were horrible.
Finally off to dinner, this is where I have no complaints. The food was excellent. The service left a lot to be desired unfortunately. We only heard the specials through the other waitress - our waitress was extremely poor at this and forgot all but 3 specials that she obviously wasn't comfortable selling. Overall, the food was EXCELLENT.
I would not pay to stay another night here, however, it is possible they could get me to come back for food. Maybe. The pub is small, very cramped and definitely overpriced. You are better off walking across the street and getting your own bottle of wine.
The next morning, I had my boyfriend ask for some orange juice for me so I could take my medicines - the owner gave us 'maybe an inch' in a small glass. Just enough for me to swallow pills, but not enough for me to actually taste. Very interesting. Needless to say, not the best B&B experience. Won't be back. This may just be more of a B&B for old boring people. Nothing here excited us.
FYI- boyfriend is 65, and I am a young 30. In case you were wondering.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MtnBliss
Reviewed July 1, 2008

This weekend I stayed at the Shelburne Country Inn . I loved it so much I returned for another beautiful weekend ! This time was just as nice as the one before, check in was quick and once checked in, was free to roam around to check out the beautiful artwork and antiques also there is a nice library to relax and read. my room was spacious and all the comforts of home. Again, the breakfast was superb .

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2008

The Shelburne is a unique and wonderfiul Inn perfectly designed for those who appreciate history, excellent food, hospitality and comfort.

We stayed on a cold stormy night in June (yes June) and were welcomed by the owner, David, with kindess and sincerity. David has owned this gem for 30 years and is responsible for its warm, inviting decor (its like staying in a meseum).

We had a drink in the pub (full of character like the rest of the place). We dined in the Dining Room (superb food and great service) and breakfast was incredible. Breakfast was augmented with wild fresly picked mushrooms and watercress. It was presented like a work of art on the plate. Our room was lovely and the bed was super-comfortable.

The Shelburne is a welcoming step back in time made for travellers who seek the kind of ambience it provides. We had a soaker tub and old style bathroom, and we loved it. If you are looking for an Inn with character, this place should be a DESTINATION on your trip (never mind Seaview).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QuietAdventurer
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We reserved the entire inn for family and friends the weekend of our daughters wedding in the fall of 2007. We could not have had a better time or experience. From our arrival on Thursday night until checking out on Sunday, David and Laurie Campiche the owners, were extremely gracious and helpful and went out of their way to help us with the wedding reception we held there. The rooms are wonderfully appointed and decorated and very clean, the breakfasts are fabulous, all of our friends and relatives had the best time. I cannot stress how accommodating the innkeepers were especially on Saturday the day of the wedding. We felt like and were treated as if we were in our own beautiful huge private country home for the weekend. I know many of our friends are already planning coming back to the inn for future visits. You will really enjoy your stay at the Shelburne Inn, in Seaview WA!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2008

The Washington Long Beach Peninsula is one of the few classy retreat areas in all of Washington with a vast beach! And this Inn and its restaurant are worldclass. The staff is just wonderful and Innkeeper David cooks a great breakfast right in front of you.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The last time we were at the Shelburn was in 2005. After such a long absence we were pleased to find that nothing had changed. The Inn is still beautifully decorated, the staff is still warm and helpful, and the dining, in both the pub and the restaurant, was memorable. (Have the savory crab cheesecake or the shrimp cakes, or the gnocchi or...)
Our very favorite thing about the Shelburne is the fact that the long-time owners are a part of every aspect of the property. They purchase for their gift "shop", chose the appointments for the rooms, approve the wild mushrooms delivered to their door, and David cooks and hosts each morning's bountiful breakfast. We've been to a lot of B&Bs - a few do as nice a job - no one does it better!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Lighthouse Oceanfront Resort
Adrift Hotel and Spa
#2 of 8 in Long Beach
Best Western Long Beach Inn
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites

Been to Shelburne Inn? Share your experiences!