“Best Place in the Pennisula”
Review of 42nd Street Cafe

42nd Street Cafe
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Seaview
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Auburn, WA
“Best Place in the Pennisula”
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Not sure when the other diners went here, but our experience was wonderful. Food and Service was top notch. Comfort food with a five star rating. Wine selection was great. Seating is alittle tight, but not bad. I will definately be back on my next visit to Long Beach. Cost was pretty close to want we would have paid at Shelburne. Had their special of the night (Ling cod) and it was delicous. The waitress was great and even gave me a jar of their homemade berry jam. Place was very business when we were here for dinner on Saturday before Father's Day.

Portland, Oregon
“Expensive and not good”
Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband and I dined here on the word of mouth recommendation of three different people in town and we were not only disappointed with the food, but we were both ill immediately afterward. Service was not bad, but that's where the good stopped. I could nit-pick the details of what was bad, but here's the bottom line -food was just bad. Examples: the "caesar" salad had a dressing on it that tasted like extra-salty mayo, and it was topped with stale shredded parmesan cheese, like the kind you buy in the giant bag at Costco, that tasted like it had been sitting in the walk-in absorbing all the other food tastes. The croutons were sweet, like cinnamon toast - who puts cinnamon toast in a caesar salad??? It was just awful. Caesar, by definition, is to have garlic croutons in it. The "house" salad had a "feta-dill" dressing and also had the sweet croutons.
The pan fried oysters - $29 for 7 oysters about the size of a US quarter??? and they were bad. It was a less-than-mediocre, expensive dining experience.
The worst part of the whole meal, however, was the night I spent suffering severe abdominal cramping and, well, not to be indelicate, let's just say I had lower intestinal distress.
The rest of the vacation we ate food we cooked in our kitchenette in our room.

Harrisburg, PA
“Insanely delicious”
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We visited 42nd Street at the recommendation of our innkeeper. We were not disappointed. The service was lovely, we were made to feel very welcome, asked if if was our first visit, etc. Their menu is not extensive but there are many good choices. Prices are moderate to high but the quality of the food reflects the price; it is well worth it. They use local foods which is important to us. We will definitely return if in the area!!

Washington
“I've eaten here many times but this last time was lousy”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Let me start off by saying I've eaten at 42nd Street several times and they do some things really well. The dinners I've had are mostly excellent. Some of their breakfasts are really good. It was just this latest trip that had us shaking our heads as we left. Even though I gave them 3 stars, based on their prices and reputation, that's far below what they should have earned.

We arrived late during the noon hour to a mostly empty restaurant which is fine. I know weekdays tend to be slower around here. Our server was very friendly and promptly seated us in a window seat to enjoy the sunshine.

After perusing the menu a bit we decided on their chicken breast sandwich and beef pot roast sandwich.

This is where things went downhill. The server brought us our meals and we were never approached again until we were 100% done to see if we needed anything. This is the kind of thing I tend to overlook normally but when you toss in the quality of the food it just added to an overall disappointing experience.

The chicken sandwich sounded tasty with a grilled chicken breast, bacon, avocado, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and a mango/pineapple salsa. The result was not nearly as appetizing as we expected. The sandwich was served on a cheap, grocery store quality hamburger bun. I suppose we expected a little better quality of bread based on the restaurant's reputation. This cheap, "air" bread was a poor match for the mango salsa which could have been drained a little better because the juice caused the bread to immediately disintegrate. To make matters worse the chicken breast was so overcooked it was hard to swallow and lacked any seasonings that we could taste. And the provolone cheese turned out to be way too strong for the other ingredients and dominated the sandwich.

The beef pot roast sandwich turned out to be equally disappointing. Looking forward to some good pot roast I was left wanting as what was served to me was so loaded with fat (and I'm not a fat hater in my food) that it's consistency was closer to Pate' rather then beef. Once again it was served on bread that had us shaking our head. Why would anyone go to a place with a reputation for fine meals and expect bread that was only one step above Wonder Bread? It was listed on the menu as sourdough and that may have been true but it was the cheapest, most airy sourdough they could get their hands on. The sandwich had some sort of a sauce on it to add flavor which was pretty good though and not so loaded with it to dominate everything else which is the best thing I could say about it.

Both of us got hand cut fries with our sandwiches. I don't remember what the other options were but give them a try because the fries were terrible. They were only single fried which left them limp and greasy and were only edible with lots of ketchup.

As I've said before I've eaten at 42nd Street several times and I would recommend dishes such as the Beef Stroganoff and Chicken Fried Steak and even their hamburger but based on the comments we heard from the couple tables that were occupied and our own experience they have some work to do before I'll go back.

Oregon Coast
“Wonderful Evening”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We had a fantastic meal here,. Our server (leslie) had impeccable timing, and everything that came from the kitchen was very well executed. Roasted beet gnocchi, caesar salads, NY strip steak, pork chop, seasonal ice,cream, and lemon tart all fantastic. The whole evening far exceeded our expectations. We hope to be able to return soon. Thanks all, and keep up the good work.

Been to 42nd Street Cafe? Share your experiences!