“Lovely!”
Review of Sou'wester Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaview
Sou'wester Lodge
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight in the Boles Aero travel trailer. It was super clean and nice and quiet. The bed was incredibly comfortable! The entire complex was very charming and all of the extra amenities (the store, bicycles, camp fire, etc.) made it even more charming.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen H

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We found this place on Facebook sometime last year and had been dying to try it out. The initial attraction (besides being at the beach) was that they had some Vintage Travel Trailers people could stay in.

But last month we bought our own trailer so we took it there.

What a fun place to stay. Very eclectic and laid back but extremely friendly.

We like to "camp" with our own French Press coffee maker. Yeah, I know. But that's one of the things we do. Imagine our dismay to go to make the first pot at camp and finding out we left it at home.

So we dashed into the town of Long Beach, less than a mile away. Being a beach town, Long Beach has a lot to offer but we came up short late Friday Afternoon in the French Press department. We stopped at a local market and bought a box of coffee singles to us through the weekend.

But as we pulled up to our camp site at the Sou'wester, I told my wife, I'll bet this is the sort of place that might have a French Press and might even let us borrow it.

She headed toward the Big House where the office is situated while I set up our trailer's connections and such. Not long after I saw her walking back, French Press in hand and huge smile on her face. We became fans of the place right then and there.

It's a short walk to the beach or you can ride one of the many bikes they have for guests to use free.

There are over 20 RV sites with full hook-ups as well as cottages, rooms with their own kitchens in the Big Lodge and the aforementioned Trailers that are too cool.

They provide live entertainment almost every week too. Check it out

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tincanpuller
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Previously, I had reviewed the Sou'wester from our July 2011 overnight here. Although we loved the place itself, we were (in 2011) dismayed by how high the overnight rental was, and by the general air of the trailers and grounds seemingly slipping into a gentle decline. But the Sou'wester, now under new ownership, has definitely made a comeback! A stay in October 2012 revealed that restoration to the main Lodge House and cottage/cabins, some amazing transformations made inside all the vintage trailers (as well as a good, thourough cleaning), and general upkeep to the grounds has restored the quirky and unbeatable charm of this unique spot! Also, the overnight rate was well within a reasonable amount. We didn't participate in any of the main house activities, so I can't speak to those, but I can say that the entire place looks absolutely beautiful and charmed me completely. Also, as opposed to our last stay,the vintage trailer we stayed in this time was as clean and fresh as anyone could ask for. The cobwebs, dust, and general musty funk are gone, replaced by fresh (but equally fun and quirky) decor, clean surfaces, and fresh linens. So happy to see the Sou'wester receiving all the Love from its new owners!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank misty_bee_Wyo
Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you want pillow top mattresses and 300 count sheets, go away! The Sou'wester Lodge is for people who like camping, who like campfires, and roasting hot dogs. That don't mind if you have to wipe the table down before you eat because there is sand everywhere.
The rooms are vintage 1940's, the trailers are probably vintage 50's or 60's? These are the real deal, not new trailers made to look old. I found my stay there wonderful, a free band played in the lodge from 7-10, then they played the "Long, Long, Trailer" movie with Lucy & Desi; if you don't know who these people are; forget it.

A very warm, comfortable, welcoming place to spend a week end. If you are worried about dirt or smells, bring some Clorox wet wipes, a scented candle and some fabreeze; after all, the place is about 100 years old. LOL

Room Tip: Trailers are for people with pets [kids]. Bring your own coffee pot or french press.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been going to Sou'wester Lodge for 18 years and loved it every time I went there. Since I travel with my two dogs, I always stay in one of the cottages.

The place was just recently sold to new owners. I was quite reluctant to make my reservation, but because of the 18 years of "love affair with the place" I gave it a try. It is, as expected, different, but the basics are still there. I am not very happy about the new parking, when one cannot park in covered space next to the cottage, but only in an open space in front of the lodge. The place has lost some of its charm, but the new owners are trying to keep it unique and charming as it was for many years. The interior of the cottages are newly painted and I hope that with time, the place will get more of its new charm and character.

There are also rooms at the lodge, several vintage trailers, campsites and RV spaces at the property. The location is fantastic. The longest beach is five minutes walk away!

If you are looking for a regular sterile vacation rental, this place is not for you. If you are looking for a character and unique vacation rental experience, you would like this place very much. I know I will be coming back.

Room Tip: I never stayed in the lodge since dogs are not allowed there, but any of the cottages are great and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Vita O
Reviewed August 23, 2012

By chance I stumbled upon the sou'wester Lodge a few weeks back and spent two nights in cabin 8. This place is really funky and unique, and I love places like that! Walking into the main building was like going back in time. Otherwise, I just kept staring at buildings and things, shaking my head. What goes on in that main building? The whole lodge had such a unique appeal - it was mysterious, almost haunted in a way, charming, chaotic, foreboding, inviting...

So after returning to Portland, I had to know more which is why I came to tripadisor to read other reviews. Others talk about the Bohemian aspect - something I clearly noticed (art books in my room, for example) and owners who didn't seem to be locals. Also, there is reference to trailers and activities and things I missed - music for example which I was told would be happening on my last night there, but somehow I missed it.

Anyway, all of this has just got me wanting to find out more about this lodge. I want to go back. It is not perfect, but what is there in the way of alternatives? My room had a problem with the refrigerator, and I noted some other things about it that could have been better. So but its basically an oddity to me, the whole lodge, likes Marsh's free museum nearby. It felt like summer camp in the 50's, or like the funky, almost haunted, roadside curiosities you sometimes come across on your travels. A step back in time? Sure, and thats the best part for me. In one word, I call this place fascinating!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank aldri7
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just got back from our third stay at the Sou'wester, this time staying in the "Royal Manor" vintage trailer. We arrived in the beginning of "snowpocaylpse" 2012. Len was kind enough to call us before our arrival to warn of icy conditions on the steps leading to the office due to the weather. He even offered to meet us outside to avoid the icy ascent. Our trailer was warm and cozy,with dog biscuits and a handwritten note for our two labs upon entering. The trailers are definitely vintage, and also come with accompanying vintage charm. Our trailer had a sleeping area for two, bathroom with toilet and shower, kitchen with stove and oven (non-working oven, but no one comes to the ocean to bake anyway), and a sitting area with a fold- out couch, table, and chairs for two. All for the bargain price of $89.00. Try staying anywhere else with two dogs for under that with all of the pet fees. The location in stellar, three minute walk to the beach,and a path into town. The interiors of the trailers are full of vintage charm, and contain journals with writings of previous guest.
The Sou'wester is a gem, thanks to Len and Miriam. If you enjoy authentic lodgings and authentic people, stay at the Sou'wester. But hurry, before it's gone.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank veggiekim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Adrift Hotel and Spa
Adrift Hotel and Spa
#2 of 8 in Long Beach
Shelburne Inn
Shelburne Inn
#1 of 1 in Seaview
Long Beach RV & Camping Resort

Been to Sou'wester Lodge? Share your experiences!