“Out of the Ordinary”
Review of Sou'wester Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaview
Sou'wester Lodge
Portland, Oregon
“Out of the Ordinary”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you want pillow top mattresses and 300 count sheets, go away! The Sou'wester Lodge is for people who like camping, who like campfires, and roasting hot dogs. That don't mind if you have to wipe the table down before you eat because there is sand everywhere.
The rooms are vintage 1940's, the trailers are probably vintage 50's or 60's? These are the real deal, not new trailers made to look old. I found my stay there wonderful, a free band played in the lodge from 7-10, then they played the "Long, Long, Trailer" movie with Lucy & Desi; if you don't know who these people are; forget it.

A very warm, comfortable, welcoming place to spend a week end. If you are worried about dirt or smells, bring some Clorox wet wipes, a scented candle and some fabreeze; after all, the place is about 100 years old. LOL

Room Tip: Trailers are for people with pets [kids]. Bring your own coffee pot or french press.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have been going to Sou'wester Lodge for 18 years and loved it every time I went there. Since I travel with my two dogs, I always stay in one of the cottages.

The place was just recently sold to new owners. I was quite reluctant to make my reservation, but because of the 18 years of "love affair with the place" I gave it a try. It is, as expected, different, but the basics are still there. I am not very happy about the new parking, when one cannot park in covered space next to the cottage, but only in an open space in front of the lodge. The place has lost some of its charm, but the new owners are trying to keep it unique and charming as it was for many years. The interior of the cottages are newly painted and I hope that with time, the place will get more of its new charm and character.

There are also rooms at the lodge, several vintage trailers, campsites and RV spaces at the property. The location is fantastic. The longest beach is five minutes walk away!

If you are looking for a regular sterile vacation rental, this place is not for you. If you are looking for a character and unique vacation rental experience, you would like this place very much. I know I will be coming back.

Room Tip: I never stayed in the lodge since dogs are not allowed there, but any of the cottages are great and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Vita O
Portland, OR
Reviewed August 23, 2012

By chance I stumbled upon the sou'wester Lodge a few weeks back and spent two nights in cabin 8. This place is really funky and unique, and I love places like that! Walking into the main building was like going back in time. Otherwise, I just kept staring at buildings and things, shaking my head. What goes on in that main building? The whole lodge had such a unique appeal - it was mysterious, almost haunted in a way, charming, chaotic, foreboding, inviting...

So after returning to Portland, I had to know more which is why I came to tripadisor to read other reviews. Others talk about the Bohemian aspect - something I clearly noticed (art books in my room, for example) and owners who didn't seem to be locals. Also, there is reference to trailers and activities and things I missed - music for example which I was told would be happening on my last night there, but somehow I missed it.

Anyway, all of this has just got me wanting to find out more about this lodge. I want to go back. It is not perfect, but what is there in the way of alternatives? My room had a problem with the refrigerator, and I noted some other things about it that could have been better. So but its basically an oddity to me, the whole lodge, likes Marsh's free museum nearby. It felt like summer camp in the 50's, or like the funky, almost haunted, roadside curiosities you sometimes come across on your travels. A step back in time? Sure, and thats the best part for me. In one word, I call this place fascinating!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank aldri7
veggiekim
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just got back from our third stay at the Sou'wester, this time staying in the "Royal Manor" vintage trailer. We arrived in the beginning of "snowpocaylpse" 2012. Len was kind enough to call us before our arrival to warn of icy conditions on the steps leading to the office due to the weather. He even offered to meet us outside to avoid the icy ascent. Our trailer was warm and cozy,with dog biscuits and a handwritten note for our two labs upon entering. The trailers are definitely vintage, and also come with accompanying vintage charm. Our trailer had a sleeping area for two, bathroom with toilet and shower, kitchen with stove and oven (non-working oven, but no one comes to the ocean to bake anyway), and a sitting area with a fold- out couch, table, and chairs for two. All for the bargain price of $89.00. Try staying anywhere else with two dogs for under that with all of the pet fees. The location in stellar, three minute walk to the beach,and a path into town. The interiors of the trailers are full of vintage charm, and contain journals with writings of previous guest.
The Sou'wester is a gem, thanks to Len and Miriam. If you enjoy authentic lodgings and authentic people, stay at the Sou'wester. But hurry, before it's gone.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank veggiekim
Sheridan, Wyoming
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here in July of 2011, and the only thing that was really wrong with this place, in my mind, was the price. That being said; a few notes on previous reviews... the owners that many refer to in previous comments -Len & Mirriam, no longer appear to be the owners. There was a different couple running the place. The rooms in the Victorian farmhouse / Lodge itself are no longer available -something to do with the sprinkler system not being up to code.. only trailers are available. Also, this is no longer a "bed -n- breakfast" -just a bed. Also, when we checked in, we were told that if we wanted to complete our check-out in the morning as they normally do, if would have to be after 10am, as that was as soon as the manager would be be up. So if we planned to leave earlier, we were advised to complete the check-out as we were checking in. So it doesn't seem that morning events are taking place in the Lodge any longer?

We stayed with our children in one of the larger trailers, and it was exactly what I expected it to be -a vintage trailer, fun -like camping out, it was exactly as clean as you would expect a camping trailer to be -that is, not filthy, but not spotless either. Sheets were fresh, and the blankets were about like blankets you might find in your grandma's camp trailer that were washed before going out, but have been out there awhile. Fun decor, neat idea.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the price. Considering this is not, after all, a bed and breakfast anymore-so no breakfast is available period, and considering that only one person can shower in the evening -since that is all the hot water the little trailer tank can hold, and considering that it is a dusty trailer after all, with windows that are rusted shut in most of the rooms.. -I expected this to be one of our more reasonable overnights. Instead it was the most expensive overnight of our entire 11 day vacation -and we stayed in beachfront motels the rest of the time!

So while I enjoyed the funky ambiance here -I did not enjoy it enough to justify the price. We would not stay here again unless it was more reasonably priced. Also, there was only one other trailer occupied, so it's not as if the high one night stay price can be justified by the high demand...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank misty_bee_Wyo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Although we generally like and appreciate interesting, quirky places, the Sou'wester takes funkiness to the max. We stayed there after reading the positive reviews on this site. We found it dingy, faded, and tired. For the price I expected more comfortable and updated accommodations and more attractive grounds. I think the owners could do that without foregoing the charm and character it sounds like this place once had.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kinwa
Denver,co
Reviewed February 14, 2010

In August '07 my family and I decided to visit Astoria, OR. We initially were to stay at a KOA, but the rain was quite heavy at the time and we are tenters. After finding all places booked from Astoria to Longbeach, we decided to see the ocean. We just happened upon the Sou'wester. My wife entered the premise and was inside for a good 45 minutes. She came back to the car with good news of availability and price and the place would accept our 2 Corgis as guests. Close to the beach, dog acceptors and my wife met a new friend in the owner. For folks who like cozy and different, who prefer real food to the microwave, this is a fantastic place. The huge Northwest rain drops on the trailer top are free and better and healthier than a sleeping pill. Jon C., Denver CO

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank indie266071
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaview
Chautauqua Lodge
Best Western Long Beach Inn
Inn at Discovery Coast
Inn at Discovery Coast
#1 of 7 in Long Beach

Been to Sou'wester Lodge? Share your experiences!