“Avoid this place at all costs” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Gateway Hotel

Coast Gateway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
Moscow, ID
“Avoid this place at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

2am without knocking, someone slips a key into our door and tries to open it (we had the emergency lock on so they could only get it open 4 inches). We yelled for them to get out and shut the door, they rudely screamed "are you supposed to be there?" Ruined our nights sleep for an early flight the next day. I called the desk, they said to talk to the manager the next morning. When I complained to the manager she denied it happened !!! They would not refund our money.
I sent an letter to both the hotel and Coast Hotels main office complaining and telling them that's a good way for someone to get shot. They offered me a free night. Like I would ever stay there again. I told them I would never stay at that place again but they ignored me and just said that's all they would do, or would upgrade me next time. I again told them there wouldn't be a next time. I found out from the desk clerk that the guy who tried to open our door was the boyfriend of the hotel manager. This was the rudest and worst we've ever been treated at a hotel. I recommend you never take this chance.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wayneharris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

I just finished a two day stay in one of the rooms facing towards the airport, and overall found the property to be a good value. The hotel is on par with a HI Express or a Hampton Inn; I’d say a little bit closer to the Hampton Inn type of layout. The place is fairly new, rooms were clean and overall the furnishings were nice.

I used the gym, it had very new Lifefitness equipment, the down side was it was very crowded due to having a treadmill, a cycle, and elliptical, and a weight machine & weight set & bench all crammed into a standard room converted to a gym. Internet hook up is a charge, but you can use the business center for free.

This hotel is walking distance from the airport, you walk straight out of the terminal & turn to the right and it is down about one block. About a 5 min walk total. Early check in was not a problem. Rooms were very quiet, and it even had functioning windows. With the clean air of Seattle, that’s a big plus. I suggest a street side room if you are a very light sleeper. (Trash truck shows up at 4AM which was louder than any aircraft noise) And they will give you Alaska Airlines points.

Food in the area is close & walking distance, (About 2-3 block) Sharps in the parking lot of the hotel is very good, and if you walk down past the Denny’s to the south, Dave’s Diner has a far better breakfast for about the same price as a Denny’s. And 13 Coins is across from the airport entrance in a large hi-rise up one block if you want a steak house.

Talking to someone else during my visit the Doubletree across the street was very close in price but hits you with add on fees for parking, etc. and there is a really nice Radisson & Hilton in the same area. Overall not a bad place at the rate I had.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

The Coast Gateway is a terrific small airport hotel, perfect for value-conscious travelers. We've stayed here several times when overnighting in Seattle between flights. The hotel is basic, but rooms are more than adequate, although not large, with an armoire for hanging up clothes rather than a separate closet. A very nice continental breakfast is included in the price, and also complimentary internet in their business center. The airport shuttle is convenient, but you do have to put your luggage on the bellman's cart and take it up to your room yourself, which we found to be no problem. While there is no restaurant actually in the hotel, a very nice BBQ/roaster/bar is conveniently located just across the parking lot. (I believe some area restaurants may deliver to the hotel also.) One additional service that we really appreciate is complimentary transportation to Southcenter Mall (a large shopping center), about 10 minutes away that is provided by a shuttle service that the Gateway contracts with. All in all, if you're looking for a clean, convenient airport hotel in Seattle, this will defintely fit the bill..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cinderella_gal
Bellingham, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

My flight was so delayed that I got in too late to drive the 100 miles home, so the airline put me up here. I got a room on the 3rd floor facing the parking lot, over the entry. It was nearly 2am. I asked for a fan because I like to sleep with white noise. The desk clerk said they didn't have any. The room smelled very musty, so I opened the window, which was behind a heavy curtain. If the curtain was open there were very bright lights right outside. It was 34 degrees out so it was too cold to leave open, and then I could also hear the sirens. I tried to turn the air conditioning/heater onto "fan" only and the nob was broken. So I put it on heat but turned it on "cooler". The smell seemed to be coming from the air unit, and the hallway smelled the same and it was so late I didn't ask for another room, but wonder if anyone else on here noticed the odor. Also there was a hair under the toilet wrap. Breakfast was dry oranges and hard boiled eggs with invisible shell fragments and orange juice. I think I was already getting sick but had the runs by the end of the day.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Disliked — The smell, no free internet, no fans
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Flight_815
haddonfield nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

I was put here after being voluntarily bumped off a flight. For an airport hotel, this is all you need. It can't be 5 minutes from the courtesy bus pick up to the hotel door. The service was fast, its next door to a Denny's and a place that does their catering, the gym is cramped, but adequate. The only thing I could've wished for is a hot tub and pool to relax in.

• Liked — Proximity to the airport.
  • Disliked — Nothing extra for relaxation.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank ejpiii
Paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

It's clean and the rooms are ok (althought privacy was not really an option in the bathroom with its odd sliding, thin door).

The breakfast is below average, more like a super 8 motel type than what you would expect for such a price.

It would not recomment this hotel, there are much better, less expensive options.

• Liked — well, they have a shuttle to the airport, but that's about it
  • Disliked — way too expensive for what you get
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank scarlotto
california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed when arriving & again prior to an early flight on our departure. The first night was adequate & room was clean- just skimpy on towels (and I agree about the shower configuration- knocked the skin off my knee trying to get out)
On our return, they checked in another guest under my name. The first clerk said I had to have my confirmation number & I explained we were there 2 days before and I had arranged for a late check. She said she had no rooms! She was accusatory & acted as if I wasn't being honest (yep, that angered me!)
The second clerk then came over & said she had double booked another room & had to go verify that no one was in it. We finally got a room & asked for a wake-up call (did not get it).
Overall, room is fine, noise not bothersome, continental breakfast better than most & price is fair. We would probably stay there again.

• Liked — room size & cleanliness
  • Disliked — one employees attitude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple