“Best airport hotel ever”
Review of Cedarbrook Lodge

Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“Best airport hotel ever”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We needed a place to stay near SeaTac airport prior to an early morning fight, and I opted for the Cedarbrook Lodge after reading the sterling TripAdvisor reviews of the establishment. I did not regret the choice. Cedarbrook is one of a very few hotels I've stayed where my principal problem was that I was unable to spend more time at the property.

Everything I did observe was exemplary. I was treated very well by the front desk reception, who knew why we had such difficulty reaching it by auto. (Hint: Don't use Apple Maps to try to reach the hotel, or you will get lost.) The front desk provided a useful orientation to the rambling property.

While the room was merely average in size, it was extremely comfortable and amenities were first rate. Lighting was good and heating/cooling worked well. Wi-fi was fast, reliable, easy to access, and included in the room rate. Sleep was excellent before it was truncated by my 5:15 am alarm. Because of our early exit, we did not have the opportunity to try the continental breakfast, but we did enjoy the sweets and snacks available for guests in the building reception area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for considering Cedarbrook Lodge the best airport hotel, ever! Such a statement means so much to me and our entire team.

I appreciate your taking the time to post such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I only home next time, you have the opportunity to sleep in and enjoy all that is Cedarbrook, without being awaken by a pesky alarm clock at 5:15am.

See you soon!

My best,

Cedarbrook Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Vancouver
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Cedarbrook Lodge for serving my favorite tea (Mighty Leaf) with the most delicious and healthy breakfast I've ever had at a hotel (yay for real oatmeal with toppings galore), for your excellent staff and the wonderful service they gave (always with a smile), for your beautiful buildings and gorgeous grounds, for the real bed linens and the cozy warm blanket on the bed to cuddle up with in the comfy chair in front of the TV, for the towel-like bathrobes in the closet, for giving me a room with a view that doesn't look like a hotel room, for the extra large size ergonomic bathtub that made me have a bath in it even though I generally don't take baths, for the warm grilled octopus salad that was so delicious it almost brought a tear to my eye, for the free water and snacks in the "living room", and for a window that really opens - all the way.

I have two suggestions. The first one is a simple one - bug screens for the windows. I had my window wide open the whole time I was staying there because I enjoyed the fresh air so much. Some bugs got into my room, including a mosquito which I had to hunt down and kill.

Suggestion number two may be a bit more complex and is the reason for my 4 star instead of 5 star rating. My first night was quiet and peaceful and I slept very well. The noise from the airport is barely noticeable. The second night there was some sort of wedding event out on the grounds where my room faced. The guests of that event were noisy and kept me up. I contacted the front desk at 11 pm and asked them if there was a "curfew" for the event attendees so that there would be a quiet period in which the hotel guests could sleep peacefully. The gentleman that I spoke with was very polite and he said that he would address the situation, although he didn't give me any specific details or a time frame. By 11:30 the noise had not abated so I just resorted to using my earplugs. Not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I did decide to mention it to the front desk as well when I checked out the next morning. Here's why I deducted a star from my review. The woman I spoke with at the front desk, although very polite, basically told me that there's nothing they can do about the noise from the wedding guests except continuously ask them to be quiet (she did say that she would mention it to the wedding coordinator). Although she didn't put it quite so bluntly, that was my understanding of our conversation. Now, I've been to weddings at hotels before as a guest, and it's not uncommon to have an agreement ahead of time that states that all of the event guests must go inside at a certain (reasonable) time so as not to disturb the hotel guests late into the night. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the rooms at this hotel face out onto that side of the grounds, so I'm sure I was not the only one who could hear the noise. I feel like if this is going to be the practice of the hotel when it comes to the needs of their event guests vs. the needs of their hotel guests, the event guests are being given a definite priority, and the hotel guests are being done a disservice. If a neighbour of mine in the hotel was being loud late into the night and disturbing my sleep, I would absolutely expect somebody from the hotel to ensure that they were quiet. I would expect the same in regards to guests that are attending an event at the hotel.

I understand that events are a necessary source of income for a place like Cedarbrook Lodge - plus, it's a beautiful location! But I think there needs to be some sort of compromise between the hotel guests' and the event guests' happiness. I don't think it's reasonable to allow, even if by inaction, one group to disturb another like that.

Overall my experience at Cedarbrook Lodge was fantastic. I would absolutely return, just making sure to bring an extra set of earplugs.

PS - I should mention that the valet parking fee was the deducted from my hotel bill, I'm assuming as an apology for the noise complaint that I made. I did want to mention that and I do appreciate it.

• Stayed August 2013
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your Cedarbrook experience. Although you provided two very well intended (and valuable) constructive comments, I can certainly tell that you overall, you had a fantastic experience. You certainly cared enough to provide such incredible detail.

I very much appreciate your commentary and do agree, from the wedding standpoint, "middle ground" should be able to be reached and balanced.

I truly hope to see you again in the future. In the meantime, please know that I remain grateful for your posting of a review on TripAdvisor.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I picked Cedarbrook Lodge based on positive TripAdvisor reviews, and the hosannas are all true. We really did feel as though we were staying in a resort, rather than an airport hotel. Although only a short drive from the terminal, Cedarbrook feels a world apart - I even spotted rabbits in the grass near our room. Unlike identikit chain motels, Cedarbrook boasts a strong sense of place. The design, which takes good advantage of the local setting, really makes you feel as though you're in the Pacific Northwest. The staff members went out of their way to be obliging, although the check-in process was a bit lengthy. Rooms are plush and soothing, and the ample common areas include free computer terminals for online check-in and printing your boarding pass in advance. There is a large gym with new equipment, and a generous breakfast buffet in the spacious dining room. Cedarbrook is an especially good choice for anyone with a long layover, as it's much more comfortable than the standard chain equivalent typically found near an airport.

Logistics advice for those not familiar with SeaTac: The hotel runs a regular shuttle to the terminal. We were using a rental car, however, and drove to the rental car return. The return area isn't very close to departures, and you have to board a shuttle to get to the terminal after you drop off your car. Give yourself ample time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much not only for taking the time to write a review and post it on TripAdvisor, but thank you for all your wonderful comments.

I am most grateful for your recognize of our staff. I have the pleasure of working with a great team of 100 employees that truly love what they do, care about our guests, and work diligently to provide a memorable experience for all our guests.

I will certainly share your comments and accolades with our entire team.

Hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 30, 2013

...Without a doubt, the best lodging in the Seatac area...if it was any closer to Seattle we would stay here every night...Having stayed at many Seatac hotels over a few decades of traveling through the airport in transit we are overjoyed to have found this gem a few years ago...It is becoming a bit difficult to get a booking these days...probably from the rave reviews...shhhh...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I will take you advice and shhhhhh!

In the meantime, just know I am grateful for your taking the time to post a review (and five star rating) on TripAdvisor.

See you on your next trip from the islands, to wherever your land-side travels take you.

My best,

Washington, DC
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Unless you have a deliberate preference for the ugly and ordinary, if you have need for an airport hotel at Seatac, you MUST check out Cedarbrook Lodge. This is even true if you're trapped in a hotel loyalty program--take a break for one night and give Cedarbrook a try. The positives of other reviews are true. Cedarbrook has the unique combination of airport access, top-notch design, great service, and quiet. Everything about it--from hallway widths and tub sizes, to the paths on the landscaped grounds and the fitness center, to the snacks available 24/7--is dramatically more generous than the average hotel.

How is this possible, one wonders--doesn't modern American capitalism squeeze out such generosity, except at top-dollar rates? Well, it's possible because Cedarbrook is a remnant of corporate America. The facility was built as a corporate conference center for Washington Mutual (WaMu) Savings & Loan. It was located near the airport because WaMu had offices all over the US. They used the best architects and spared little expense to create a facilty worthy of a big, powerful, growing corporation. But WaMu got sucked into the subprime mortgage debacle and was seized by federal regulators in 2008. Portland-based Coastal Hotels, which has a small portfolio of high-quality, distinctive properties, bought the property out of the bankruptcy, did some renovations, and opened it to public use. This is a highly unusual story. You'd be crazy not to take advantage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest.

I simply wanted to say thank you for discovering Cedarbrook. I found your review to be a perfect combination of reality and humor. Thank you for all of your kind words.

I do hope to have the opportunity of serving you and seeing you again the future.

With best regards, I remain at your service.

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is a remarkable hotel in a beautiful location just behind the SeaTac Doubletree. The rooms are lovely and the staff is very attentive. Prior to arrival, you will be given the opportunity to select a special type of pillow, a first for me despite traveling 70 nights per year. I am a foodie and the the dinner in the restaurant was exceptional.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
Green Features: Exceptional environmental awareness. They follow environmentally sensitive practices.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great review. I am thrilled that you had a great experience at Cedarbrook, as well as Copperleaf, being that you are a foodie.

Until we see you next, we will keep the selection of pillows ready and fluffed, in anticipation of your arrival.

Regards,

Battle Ground, Washington
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a pre wedding reception at the Cedarbrook Lodge and was very pleased with the space provided, the fantastic food and drinks. Terra Johnson our event coordinator, was amazing in planning the event for us and even adjusting our time at the last minute. The rooms for our family were comfortable and the snacks provided were a hit! Thank you Cedarbrook Lodge!

Green Features: Beautiful hotel and environmental practices a big plus!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your wedding! I am overjoyed that your experience at Cedarbrook was a great one!

And...I will certainly share your comments with Terra, as well as our entire food & beverage team.

I hope we get to see you again soon....at a minimum, to celebrate your first anniversary at Cedarbrook and Copperleaf Restaurant.

With well wishes,