“Great location - close but serene & peaceful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cedarbrook Lodge

Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great location - close but serene & peaceful setting”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Definitely NOT your typical hotel near a major airport! It's tucked away in a neighborhood much like a little country club. Our family of 4 stayed here to meet visitors arriving at Seatac for a layover. Our room was a good size and had a awesome desk space & storage. Cedarbrook has living room spaces throughout each building with a fireplace, tv, and a pantry full of yummy snacks - including malt balls in a few flavors, fruit, chips and a refrigerator with even more nibbles -- haagen daazs ice cream, yogurt, and cheese, drinks, & water. The breakfast buffet was delicious - with homemade granola, smoked salmon or herring plus the usual assorted pastries, bagels, cereal, coffee and juice. We didn't have time to eat dinner but would LOVE to go back, stay longer and dine at the Copperleaf. Staff was super friendly and helpful. The fitness room was clean and also well maintained. One small downside was that they don't have a pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled that you found our hotel to not be typical and that you enjoyed a great stay with you family in our peaceful and serene setting.

Although we need to work on the pool situation, we will continue to keep our living rooms stocked with all the goodies you mentioned in anticipation of your next visit.

And perhaps next time, you can sample the bounty of Copperleaf, our signature farm-to-table restaurant.

See you soon!

Cedarbrook Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I hesitated to review this place, because I don't want it to become too popular. But it is really nice, rooms, grounds, and restaurant. I guess this was built by a large Seattle company at one time for their exec retreats, and the company is gone and now it is a hotel. You can tell just a little bit that the rooms have a little bit of a corporate feel. But still they are as nice or nicer than some of the premium brands that would would pay much more for.

Overall I say highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can self park and not have to walk far, and save some bucks.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your hesitation in trying to keep our oasis a secret, but am glad you discovered us nonetheless and took the time to provide such kind comments on TripAdvisor.

You are correct...Cedarbrook was built by Washington Mutual (WaMU) Bank as a private training retreat. In late 2009 when they went out of business, we converted it to unique hotel (Lodge) on 18 acres of wetlands in the midst of the urban environment of SeaTac.

Thanks for staying with us! I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cedarbrook Lodge after returning from a Cruise. The surroundings, impeccable, the staff superb. We will always stay here. We didn't have any problem getting from the ship to the hotel. Close to the airport so a shuttle was available, compliments of the hotel. Thank-you for such a wonderful place....

Room Tip: Dogwood Building
Green Features: Loved the biodegradable toiletries, watched how they grew some organic herbs and vegetables, and just enjoyed the natural surroundings.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen W
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us a Five Star rating on TripAdvisor and most importantly for considering us the best of the best.

I am thrilled that you had a great stay and look forward to your return visit in the future.

Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spend 3 nights at the cedarbrook and the stay was great. The hotel is closeby the airport and provides you with a courtesy shuttle. The rooms are spacious and have everything you require. You can even order a different pillow from the menu if you can't sleep on the ones allready there. The luxery doesn't stops there. In the lounges you can get water, ice cream, peanuts and coffee etc, all included. In the morning they serve a good variety of food for breakfast. It certainly gets you going. They also have a very good restaurant, with fine dining and an excellent choice of wines. All our needs were met. Would stay here again for sure.

If you want to go to downtown Seattle without a car, you can take the shuttle to the lightrail and from there to downtown for $11 (2way). It saves you the trouble of taking your car and having to park!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LarsH79
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so happy that your three night stay met / exceeded your expectations. I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and give us a five star rating on TripAdvisor.

You stated that you will return again....And we look forward to seeing you.

My best,

California
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights and 5 days, which did hit my coin jar pretty badly, but I would do it all over again. I stayed in room 2217- Dogwood Building.

My son stayed here previously and he recommended it to me because he knows I enjoy the "extras" in a hotel and because I'm keen on recycling and taking care of our earth. He was right.

The things I appreciated:
1. The lush landscape and N. American "woodsy" feel.
2. The Common Area - television, some books, and snacks: different flavor malt balls (the mint was my favorite), Tim's chips (vinegar & salt, original, sour cream,and jalapeño), string cheese, water, oranges, and Haagen-Dazs (dulce de leeches, chocolate, strawberry, coffee, and vanilla).
***$ saver
3. Toiletries in biodegradable containers made with recycled materials.
4. Daily continental breakfast that's more than cereal! ***$ saver
5. 24 hour gym
6. Friendliness of the front desk clerk who's from Corona, Ca. Quite amazed how she called me by my name after not seeing me for a couple of days!
7. Overall upkeep of the property and the layout of the lodge and room.
8. The robes in the room.
9. The pillow menu. Try the body pillow and the sachets.
10. Location - but then of course, I was visiting friends who live in Seattle
11. Free daily newspaper - located in the lobby near the front desk ***$ saver
12. I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Things I wasn't too fond of:
1. Salt or too much of it! Seems like wherever I ate, even at the hotel, the cooks love to use salt.
2. Having to pay for parking - $15 a day (ouch, ouch, ouch!)
3. The lounge during Happy Hour because the waitress may take the orders of people who definitely came in after you! The food menu is alright, but the happy hour special is just one item (see their website). I had the oyster tater tot, which tasted like tater tots (about six pieces for $12?) and wouldn't recommend it. However, I would recommend the crab sandwich for about the same price, but you get a lot of crab and fries. I went to the common area for desert. ***$ saver!

My wish list for this property:
1. Salt water pool
2. Spa

My bill was over $800. A little pricey, but again, the little extras mentioned made it worthwhile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of your Cedarbrook stay on TripAdvisor. I love the "list". As I always continue to say, it is truly wonderful to read the wonderful accolades and sharing them with our hard working staff, but it is the comments that are more constructive in nature that continue to help us improve.

Trust in the fact that I will work with our culinary team on the "salt" issue as well as the happy hour specials.

Please know that, as you did list in many ways, we try to create great value for our guests. As a result, although there is a fee for parking, it is 40-50% lower than all other SeaTac area hotels and 100%+ lower than hotels in Bellevue and Seattle. We will continue to strive to lead our market in quality service, amenities and value.

I can't promise a salt water pool; however, I can share with you that we have plans in the near future to possibly build a spa.

I truly hope to have you as our guest again!

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I cannot recommend this place enough. The grounds, lobby, community 'living rooms', the free use of computers and even a shredder, the most ample space in our room for storage, an amazing in room works space/desk, the oversized shower/tub with the nicest shelf space for all of our family's toiletries to fit and then some, the most comfortable beds and many choices for pillows (they have an actual pillow menu!), free snacks, bottled spring water, even Hagen Das (24/7!), umbrellas located conveniently all over property for our use, free shuttle service to and from the airport and/or lite train for travel to Seattle, the NUMBER ONE rated restaurant (per Tripadvisor) out of over 1,700 other TA rated Seattle restaurants, the Copperleaf, is on property and is gorgeous! Everything was spotless, gorgeous and with a beautiful, free breakfast, this was an amazing value. I wish all places were like here.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for all the wonderful accolades. I am most appreciative of your kind comments and am grateful you took the time to write a review and post it on TripAdvisor.

While we always strive for continuous improvement, I am glad that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to you staying with us again.

North Pole, Alaska
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have read about Cedarbrook Lodge in the magazines each time I flew Alaska Airlines and always said that I should stay there. My wife and I finally had a few days in Seattle before a cruise and booked a room here. While the neighbor hood that surrounds it does not see to be the best, the lodge and grounds are super, hard to believe it is that quiet and peaceful yet so close to the airport.

The rooms were very comfortable and it is nice to wake up, look out the window and see greenery and not the highway or another building like at most hotels! The free Haagen Daas ice cream was much appreciated and usually served as a before bed snack, chocolate covered raisins, yogurt, water and malted milk balls were also there for the taking. Everyone we met or spoke to working in the hotel were very friendly and seemed to genuinely like being there. Free shuttle to the airport and to the rail station which you can take into the city. After a long flight, it is nice to walk around the grounds, watch the ducks in the pond and enjoy being outside.

A nice touch is they have complementary umbrellas, you can pick them up at multiple points in the hotel and we took them for our trips to the city, with the rain Seattle is famous for, bonus points for this service!

I cannot wait for our next trip back, when I have a long layover or some free time, you can bet I will be trying to get a room here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Scott O, General Manager at Cedarbrook Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am not sure what took you so long to stay at Cedarbrook Lodge, but I am glad you did. :-)

It is always interesting to hear the comments from a first time guest. I am privileged to work with a great staff who, with great authenticity, love their jobs and truly care about providing great experiences for our guests. Now, this does not mean that we are always perfect, but we try and we care. All the way down to the Umbrellas and Haggen Dazs.

On behalf of our staff, I look forward to your next trip to our hidden retreat...right next to the airport.