“Great Staff, Quiet and Comfortable Room”

Seattle Airport Marriott
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in SeaTac
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I've tried several of the other hotels close to the airport and have been consistently disappointed. Primarily to the lack of 'quiet'. This one was different in a very good way. I didn't have noise and did have great food, curious and helpful staff, and a quiet comfortable room.

Great spot to relax near the airport

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Rocky R, Manager at Seattle Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Choosing our hotel and for the great feedback

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my wife and teenage daughter because my daughter attended a dance convention at the hotel. Overall the hotel was ok. Relatively clean, the food in the restaurant was average (not bad, but not great either, horrible wine list by the way) and very, very slow service. However, I do have two major complaints. FYI, they close the pool at 9pm for minors, so the girls were very upset that they couldn't relax by the pool and swim after dancing their butts off for 12 hrs. Also, the beds were the worst I have ever slept in! Who uses double beds anymore for crying out loud! They sunk in the middle so my wife and I were up against each other all damn night. I couldn't get comfortable, was hot as hell and overall didn't get even a sort of decent nights sleep. Switch to queen beds Marriott and get some decent mattresses!!! One positive note. The valets were awesome! The were probably the most attentive, quickly responsive and overall friendly employees in the entire hotel. This is the only reason for the 3 rating, otherwise it would have been a 1. Great job guys! Overall a pretty crappy weekend. I won't be staying at another Marriott anytime soon.

Stayed: May 2014
Lindsey K, Manager at Seattle Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Good Evening ETD420,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Seattle Airport Marriott.

You indicated in your review that the pool closure negatively affected your stay as well as the slower service in our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and it is clear that we did not meet your expectations - or our own. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lindsey K.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott two nights with my Wife and infant son. We purchased two connecting rooms for a little more space. The hotel was at capacity due to multiple conferences taking place, one of which I was attending.

I spoke with management prior to arrival to confirm we would have the connecting rooms and a baby crib. The Front Office Manager Lindsey even called me back to make sure our needs would be cared for, which I appreciated.

Upon arrival, the valet was kind enough to help us with our bags. I knew ahead of time about the massive charge for parking but its still extremely hard to stomach when other airport properties of similar quality don't charge for parking.

Check-in was prompt. Unfortunately only one of the rooms was ready and we were assured we'd get the 2nd room shortly. After waiting quite some time and multiple calls to people that weren't helpful, I went and found some very friendly house-keeping staff and they confirmed the room was clean and let the front desk know so we could check in that second room, then eventually we were brought a crib for my son. I was a bit disappointed with how long that whole process took but again, I do realize the property was completely full so employees are stretched thin.

After settling in, I went up to the bar to enjoy a couple brews and watch some sports and people watch. Wow. After taxes and tip, the beers were right at $10 per pint. Seriously? Are we at the JW Marriott Hong Kong or something? I get its a hotel bar but it just seemed a bit excessive.

Next area of real frustration is the internet access. I feel it is completely unacceptable in this day and age not to include internet access... not only was that NOT the case but it was at least $12.95 per day for service. That's insane.

Finally, both rooms we had were pretty dated. This property could really use a remodel. Our main room was an ADA compliant room (not sure why but it was huge so I didn't mind)... the second room was TINY. I felt like I was in Asia when I was in that room it was so small.

I have kind of harped on my frustrations as we all generally do... let me point out a few good features: Both rooms were spotless. Very clean. I didn't mind letting my son crawl and walk around because they seemed so clean. The bed was also very comfortable. My Wife really enjoyed it (when our son wasn't screaming of course) so that was nice. Finally the staff as a whole was friendly. We didn't get to use it, but the pool looked really nice and since it was completely indoors, could be used even during the cold Seattle winters. The hotel also had a nice fitness room (also didn't use, but looked clean and modern). If you need to fill a water bottle, go to the exercise room for a water machine.

If I'm in the area again or need a layover hotel in Seatac before/after a long flight, I'd most likely choose another property unless I had a very reasonable rate however.

I hope Marriott as a brand will get some of these things together to better compete with other large, chain hotels. Offer anyone who is a Marriott Rewards member complimentary internet... perhaps have a happy hour in your bar area, don't gouge people on parking etc etc.

I hope this review was helpful for future guests.

Room Tip: Plane spotting from West Side, Top floor, outward facing room. T-Mobile gets service at this hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank travelinpdx
Lindsey K, Manager at Seattle Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Good Evening Travelinpdx,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. We rely on guest feedback to be continually improving our hotel and service. I appreciate your opinion about the pricing in our hotel, as a management team we will discuss the various points you have brought up. Thank you for the great feedback about the cleanliness, amenities, and staff. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in town and feel free to reach out to us.

Lindsey K.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

it smells chlorine in the inner yard, a lot of rooms face the inner yard, so there is no fresh air in the room. Water in the room also smells chlorine,
there is no safe in the room but at the reception that make its use very unflexible.
no slippers provided.
so, all these inconviniences are pretty strange and unexpected for the brand.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Lindsey K, Front Office Manager at Seattle Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Good Evening Ritavo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We rely on guest feedback to be continually improving our hotel and the service that we provide. I realize that not having certian amenities in the room can be disappointing and I am sorry that we did not have the slippers or safe available. I would also like apologize that you experienced issues with the smell of the pool area and the rooms; we strive to create brilliant experiences for all of our guests and it is disappointing to us when that does not happen.

Best regards,
Lindsey

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Typical in every way. The rooms were old, dark and outdated. Furnishings had a lot of wear and tear - literally. No free Wi-Fi. Room service was slow. Ok for a quick, in and out stay but overall would not be interested in staying there again (was in for a business conference).

Room Tip: Rooms away from the Atrium are dark and gloomy
1  Thank HeatherDallas

Good Evening HeatherDallas,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your most recent stay with us. I can see that there were multiple items that we could have improved on during your stay. I am sorry to hear that the environmental practices of the hotel were not more clearly defined and that the appearance was not as bright as the rest of the hotel. We value all feedback good or bad, so I will be sure to share this with the departments mentioned and ensure that we continue to strive for excellence in those areas. Once again, I am sorry to hear that we were only able to create the typical stay while you were with us. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to regain your trust and create the brilliant experience that we strive for.
Please let us know if there is anything further that we can assist with.
Best Regards,
Lindsey

Reviewed April 27, 2014

A weekend trip with my son and his family- actually a business trip to attend a frequent traveler convention there at the Marriott SeaTac.
Started out good enough... the valets, concierges, and desk people were all warm and welcoming. Got checked in quickly enough and settled in the room, fanning ourselves for the ransom money they want for the parking-- $28.00 (IN the Marriott lot!)
Oh, wait. The room was only 1/2 ready. Bed made, cleaned. But no towels or customary toiletries. Woops. Called the desk and the housekeeping people were right there with missing materials and profuse apologies. Okay, not so much of a big deal, but paying the Marriott price one would expect such things not to happen.
Room was tiny. I mean, I've stayed in 2-star properties where the rooms could be 3x that size. But comfortable, since it was just the two of us.
Okay, good for some rest and getting settled in. So we go up to the bar, and this is where they make up for what they don't charge you for the room. Two beers between us, and with gratuity we're on the shy side of 50 bucks. Went down to his room for a secret stash and to dull the sticker shock.
Speaking of sticker shock, don't bother trying to log into the Marriott internet unless you have your plastic ready. Suggest using your hotspot on your smartphone. Oh, wait. Verizon doesn't work in this property, so you'll have to pirate someone else's. I had my son's T-Mobile going so that was helpful.
Okay, well, the convention was a fairly frugal one by design... and that was to be expected. The Saturday lunch was supposed to have been sandwiches, chips, and water or tea. We all knew it wasn't going to be a full-on service. But Marriott evidently miscalculated the number of people because many of us were left staring at blank serving tables with loose lettuce leaves on them. Eventually they quickly prepared more, but even at that many of us got 1/2 sandwiches instead of the full sandwich originally scheduled. So not what I thought the Marriott brand was about. Add to that a grumpy server who was rudely trying to make her presence felt, and well, you draw your own conclusions.
Forward to Sunday morning and the one bright spot... the breakfast buffet. I was breathing heavy at the thought of a $21 buffet, but capitulated. My son and family, and myself, had the buffet, which was excellent. Good spread of items, freshly prepared, nicely presented. The atmosphere was pleasant and we were enjoying the banter between us and the servers. When the check was presented, our server had discounted it by 20%, allegedly the "grey hair" discount I might have been entitled to. Never saw it on the menu, and certainly never saw it coming. A most pleasant surprise.
At checkout all was well, but no inquiry about our stay... A thank you, and that was about it.
I have stayed at Marriotts in various parts of the country and this is not representative of the brand. It's a nice property, but the disconnect between the brand and actuality is severely evident. Might want to try the Doubletree down the road.

Room Tip: West side of the property is the airport side. If you love spooling jet pods or jet brakes, you'...
2  Thank StephenFFowler
Lindsey K, Manager at Seattle Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear FootlooseCaboose,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback for our hotel. We appreciate having the feedback so we can look into the issues mentioned. I am sorry that you were not happy with various items during your stay. We do try our best to ensure all of our guests are satisfied during their stay.

We hope to be your Host's again in the future and if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Lindsey K

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Positive: The staff members and friendly and knowledgeable. They are one of the few saving graces of this hotel.
Neutral: Nice atrium with pool if you can stand the overpowering smell of chlorine. Mistakenly charged for internet on my bill even though it was complimentary on the group rate. Had to call the front desk to correct.
Negative. Noisy, noisy, noisy. Room to room insulation is poor. Hallway noise is noticeable. Air conditioning unit is not quiet. The parking lot is noisy enough with people coming and going, but... The hotel also let a large bus park with its loud engines running in a red no parking zone directly outside my window. The noise woke me up and kept going for a while. Not a good start to the morning.
Elite benefits: Silver status politely recognized.

Bottom line: The staff tries (and they really do), but the the hotel simply didn't give me a good night's rest because of the noise.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the parking lot because of noise problems.

Good Evening SFOPhD,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We rely on guest feedback to be continually improving our hotel and the service that we provide. I am glad to hear that your interactions with our staff was good. I want to apologize that you experienced issues with noise, we strive to be creating brilliant experiences for all of our guests and it is disappointing to us when that does not happen.

I hope we will have the chance to be your hosts again in the future and if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable and restful do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Sincerey,
Lindsey K

Also consider these accommodations in or near SeaTac
Cedarbrook Lodge
#1 of 34 in SeaTac
Belltown
Seattle Marriott Waterfront

Been to Seattle Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!