Colwell Inn
Black Bear Motel(Davenport)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstvrailroadgorgecomfortfridge
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Yes all the other reviews are correct. It is close to railroad tracks, the pool is out of service still and the breakfast was minimal. They must of fixed the light bulb outage as we had full light!! But what do you expect for $60 a night!!! We had gone to a concert at the Gorge that got over late, we didn't plan on a place to stay and every hotel from Moses Lake to Ritzville was full, except the Colwell had 1 room left at Midnight!!! They gave us the 2 queen bed for the price of 1 queen and it was a place to lay our heads for the night. The BEST part of the whole room was the "relaxation machine" it actually worked for 25 cents!!! Yes as seen on TV!! It was a great end to our trip. If I ever got in a bind again I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Our bad... we didn't go on to "more" on the TripAdvisor review of the Colwell Inn in Ritzville, WA. If we had read on we would have learned that the train runs all night just a few blocks from the motel. The air conditioner didn't drown out the train whistle so if you're a light sleeper... find something else or bring heavy duty ear plugs...
The room itself was fine, another "Funky but Clean" cheap motel room. We had 2 double Beds micro and frig (which they call a kitchenette on their webpage [eyeroll] ) tiny TV, the requisite desk and chest of drawers a table with 2 chairs and a nice long vanity in the vanity nook, with separate toilet/shower room. The Motel boasts a sauna, which we didn't use and a guest laundry that we also didn't use.

We wouldn't stay here or even in this town again because of the trains. If you have earplugs or are a very sound sleeper we would highly recommend this motel. It's cheap, clean and roomy.

An Aside... We arrived late Sunday afternoon and the only restaurants we found open were a Mexican Cafe downtown, and a hamburger place near the freeway. We chose to buy frozen dinners at the Harvest Food store, probably the MOST expensive grocery store I've ever shopped in... a package of cookies went for nearly $5.00!! But, we bit the bullet and bought what we needed.

Room Tip: As far away from railroad tracks as possible!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I landed my small airplane at the Ritzville, WA airport last week, after crossing the country from Boston, MA. I was low on fuel and getting tired, so I set down there. The 1st realization, NO TAXI SERVICES! (d'oh!) and my cell phone battery was low.

After calling a couple places, only to find they were full, or too far to walk, I found this little gem. Kevin, the manager there, was very helpful in talking me through on how to find the place. He also said that he would have come get me, but was alone watching the motel.

As I was walking to the motel, I got a devastating phone call that a dear friend had just crashed his glider in Cle Elum. I was in shock walking across town, carrying my luggage.

When I got to this motel, I met Kevin and broke down about the news I had just received. He was very consoling and helped me get my bags over to my room. He was very concerned for me and kept me company as I tried to get more info on the accident and notify others. He stayed up and talked with me as I was grieving through my loss. This helped me get through this whole ordeal and I really appreciating him being so compassionate towards me and my loss.

The room was comfy and I slept as best as I could, considering the circumstances. In the moring, he checked in to see if I was OK, made me coffee and even helped me bring my bags back down to my airplane. I then departed last Friday for Ellensburg and my homestretch to Seattle. Kevin even called to follow up and make sure I made it OK and that I was doing OK. He is a true gentelman and is very customer oriented!

\\

Room Tip: You may want a room set-back from the RR tracks like I got.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank NomadicPixie
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The Colwell Motel was recommended to us by a local resident. For $54, we had two rooms with a double or queen bed in each, plus a TV in each room and a sofa. Aside from a burned out light bulb, there was nothing wrong with the room. The beds were comfortable. Yes, it's near the tracks--what isn't? It's a small town on a railroad track. Wear earplugs if it bothers you. A small breakfast was included. I would return if I ever find myself in Ritzville.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank fiberart
Reviewed February 8, 2011

For the past 5 years, working on a book on american agriculture, I have commuted between New York and Ritzville WA.
I am a photojournalist and have contributor to various Travel magazines including the NY Times.
I highly recommend the Colwell hotel as a home base to explore the town and surrounding communities.
It is clean, safe, hospitable and right across the Blue Bike Cafe and 2 minutes walking to the town's historic district.
No busy noisy highway next door maybe the train will be heard if you do not use the air conditioner... however I personally see this as local flavor. I would not stay anyplace else. Enjoy !
L.D.