“Needs more renovation”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Richland
Holmes Beach, Florida
“Needs more renovation”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I called the hotel directly to make my reservations; two others in my group went through a third party. They ended up with cheaper room rates and had breakfast included - I ended up paying about $5 more and had to pay for breakfast. Go figure.
The refrigerator in the room didn't work, neither did the alarm clock. It's a good thing it was 30*F outside so I could put my bottled drinks outside to keep cold. I told the front desk and they fixed the two items the next day.
What concerned me more was that the ceiling was in bad shape and paint was falling off onto the floor. I didn't notice it at first, but when I picked up my coffee cup in the early morning I found paint chips floating on top. That'll wake you up. I mentioned the problem to the front desk/manager - she pretty much said she was unaware of it and it was up to the guests to inform the hotel staff. I told her hotel maintenace should be checking room conditions and fix problems before the rooms are rented. She seemed a little dumbfounded by the idea.
She finally offered to include breakfast as a consolation but, of course, refused to give me the same lower room rate as the other two in my party. I just made sure I covered my coffe with a magazine the next three mornings.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank2002
HHCC, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Richland Hanford House, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I was however, very disappointed to read of our shortcomings, but was glad to read of our prompt attention to two of these problems. I can assure you the ceiling issue has been rectified by my staff and do apologize for the inconvenience it caused you.
Without candid feedback I would not be able to make this hotel just as good as it is....Once again thanks.

We look forward to your next visit, until then safe travels.

Ian - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 2, 2010

This hotel is indeed a bit long in the tooth, and the exterior and public areas provide evidence of that; however, it's also obvious that they've done quite a bit of work to modernize and upgrade the rooms. It's conveniently located right on George Washington Way.

The beds are supremely comfortable (a welcome surprise) and the rooms and their bathrooms have been updated (new carpet in the rooms and hallways, granite countertops in the bathrooms, etc.). Strangely enough, however, the TV in the room was a non-updated tube model. The remote control indicated the TV had a sleep timer but no amount of pressing that button on the remote produced the ability to set a sleep timer.

A seemingly small thing that I truly appreciate --- the bathrooms has REAL glasses, rather than plastic cups. Loved that.

The in-room coffee maker has a metal carafe, which was a nice touch because it helps to keep the brewed coffee hot, and came both with paper cups with lids and ceramic coffee mugs. Having said that, there was a minor nit: the coffee maker itself is black, the ceramic mugs are black, and the tray they're all sitting on is black. Then the entire set-up sits inside a dark wood cabinet. Combine that with the dim lighting of the room and it was difficult to see what you were doing when trying to make coffee in the wee hours of the morning.

The staff could not have been more engaging. Bright, cheerful and professional front desk staff, restaurant and other staff.

Regarding the onsite restaurant, the food was delicious. The breakfast buffet which comes with the room price was really, really good. Fluffy scrambled eggs piled high with grated cheddar and fresh diced tomatoes on top ... sure beats another popular chain's "egg disks" masquerading as scrambled eggs. The wonderful scrambled eggs at Red Lion were there every day, as well as some form of potatoes (fresh hash browns, fried potatoes, etc.), bacon and sausage, as well as cereals, breads and pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt and a veriety of juices and teas. And the coffee was heavenly.

As good as the daily breakfast was, the most delightful surprise was the pizza I ordered one night. Quite simply the best, most delicious pizza I've had in a very long time (I'm from NY so I'm a pretty tough pizza critic). I ordered it through room service so it was ridiculously expensive, but it was absolutely scrumptious.

To sum up, this hotel will be a keeper for me each time I come back to Richland on business. I used to stay at the Hampton Inn but I liked the Red Lion better, and it was a bit closer to Stevens Way which is what I needed for business. It's not the newest hotel in town, but it makes up for that by having a cheerful, attentive staff and terrific food in their onsite restaurant.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
CarlFletcher, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Richland Hanford House, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
I just wanted to take the time to say how happy we all are to know that you had such a great experience with us on your last visit. Feedbacks like this keep all the staff motivated to continue to strive to be the best at what they do, from front desk, to housekeeping. We know how essential it is to provide this level of service and to assure that you feel this comfortable every time you stay with us. So thank you!! And we cannot wait to serve you again in the hopefully near future!

Carl Fletcher
Corporate Customer Service Manager.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Historic hotel that shows its age. Housekeeping is not always on the ball -- and have not improved since our last review. They still don't leave more TP even though the rolls are almost gone, and there were burnt out light bulbs in the bathroom. The sweet smell of deodorizer was so thick we had to ventillate the room when we arrived but it was OK after that.

What is really cool about this property is the exterior entrances to the rooms which makes traveling with a pet much easier. Very dog-friendly property.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
CarlFletcher, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Richland Hanford House, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
Good day today!

I wanted to thank you for leaving your valuable feedback for us. I am disappointed to hear that your last couple stay with us were less than desirable and appreciate you giving us the chance to improve. I assure you we take our reviews and guests experiences serious and will move to remedy the issues that you make us aware of. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we can continue to improve.
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed here for off-site business meeting. The service was incredible and every staff member we passed greeted us. The room was immaculate and very quiet even though the hotel was full. A colleague was celebrating a new marriage and was treated to a sparkling cider and champagne glasses in room - exhibiting the greatest attention to detail! Excellent facility!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 1, 2010

The Red Lion in Richland is a clean comfortable place to stay over night. We had a King room with river view. Nothing fancy, once upon a time it probably was much nicer but the decor feels like 1970, it really could use some updating. Still for the price I could not complain. The only "problem" we had was the breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was not that great and the wait staff was not very attentive and slow. Denny's is accross the street, should have gone there instead, oh well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Although this hotel was conveniently located just 2 miles from our business meeting, the building and rooms were in need of updating. I had a king bed room, which was quite large, almost handicapped proportions, but the bedspread and curtains were at least 20 years old, or looked it (frayed stitching etc). The countertops and tile were updated (granite) and the toiletries were small but nice. Hairdryer in room. I had a balcony that overlooked a middle courtyard space. The pool area smelled like the river so I didn't go in. The wi-fi took forever to connect and kept dropping in the room.
Continental breakfast is not included automatically unless you book it that way ($7.95) and it was oatmeal, eggs, bacon, yogurt etc.
For $165 I have stayed in much nicer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
HHCC, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Richland Hanford House, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We pride ourselves on our great location and I was sorry to read your experience was not fantastic. I have already passed on your comments to my Managers so that we can correct any deficiencies regarding room decor and wireless connection.
The pool, I can assure you, is in tip top condition. I am not sure why you experienced a "river smell" but again we are open for business and popular as ever.

Once again thank you for your feedback.
Until we see you again ...safe travels.

La Grande, Oregon
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This hotel has it all. Great rooms, beds, restaurant and lounge. Large swimming pool and hot tub and a beautiful river right out the door and miles of walking, running and biking paths. There is a river boat that moors not far away and great golf courses very close to the hotel. The service is wonderful and the staff always helpful (they remember your name!) A safe place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing a review. We certainly pride ourselves on our great staff and the location we have.
We strive to create a fantastic feeling for everyone when they visit, and it sounds like we hit the mark with you!
Thanks again for your feedback, we look forward to seeing you again real soon.