“Should be called: You'll Smell Like Farts For Days Inn”
Review of Days Inn Richland

Days Inn Richland
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Richland
salem, or
“Should be called: You'll Smell Like Farts For Days Inn”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Quite possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, although I tend to go for better hotels than Days Inn..still, my room smelled like sewage, it was nasty, my nostrils could not get used to it enough to ignore it. I think there were turds hiding somewhere in the room.
In all seriousness, the room smelled, carpet was so suspect that I would not go barefoot, and the bedding was cheap and it was all just bad.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank missylee_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Seattle
Reviewed July 30, 2009

This is one of those places where I had to keep reminding myself frequently that the room was costing half the amount of one of the fancy hotels in town. The property is slightly funky, has seen better days, and is right on the edge of being a dive. The bad luck of having noisy neighbors would tip it over.

The sickly-sweet stench of cleaning supplies hits you when you walk in the door; luckily you get used to it quick. It would be a disaster for anyone with chemical sensitivities. The 2 chairs around the small table both had stains on the upholstery. Otherwise the room seemed reasonably clean. However the outdoor areas were pretty bad, there were cigarette butts all over the place in the parking area near my room.

There is a small nice-sized empty refrigerator, a basic microwave, and a small coffee maker. The sink has a small hair dryer on the wall.

The small double (not queen) bed was pretty hard; there were plenty of pillows.

Strangely, unlike the problem that many hotels have with hot water disappearing, in my room the cold water occasionally turned hot! It became an adventure, as I never knew what I was going to get from one try to the next.

The free WiFi was cranky, unpredictable, and often really really slow. I had to stay close to the window to get a decent signal. Strange, since they have at least 3 access-points, and I was in the middle of the building.

The free breakfast is very basic, all carbs and no protein option. There are several interesting restaurants within walking distance; but I was unable to identify one that serves breakfast. There is also an Albertson's grocery 1/2 mile away.

The location is a huge bonus, as you can walk across the street to the old Downtown area, and the large riverfront park, new museum, and new community center are just down the hill.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
traveller20074
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The hotel is nice really. Outside it has trees and looks "homey" The rooms are nice, but not more than one person can move from the front door to the bathroom. VERY VERY SMALL. The bed is a double. That's all they have. Doubles. For couples. I still can't believe they only have doubles. I have never had the experience of sleeping with my husband on a double. This should be interesting. I won't get any sleep, I can tell. The room is still comfortable and I think it's meant for one person.

The pool was great. Nice water and we were close to it. The problem came when a bunch of kids came in and played Marco Polo. Good luck swimming lol I got out and will go back later. Parents need to really not let kids do that if they see other people in the pool. I could barely swim to the side because of kids.

Continental breakfast in the morning, but we won't be eating there - going out to breakfast before the hydroplane races.

I will be saying no (recommen to a friend) because of the beds. That's nuts making a married couple (not small people) share a double bed.
A couple of restaurants within walking distance which look good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth City, NC
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Needed a place to stay in Richland and did not realize at the time that the metro area there had comparatively few motels. Most of the obvious ones along the interstate were booked by multiple weddings that weekend in early June, so after some searching we found the Days Inn. Hard to find from the interstate near what must pass as Richland's downtown district.

Clean and comfy property.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed at the Days Inn for one night this last weekend, during a trip to the Red Mountain wine country. The hotel was very clean and quiet.... and cheap, $75 for the night (including taxes). It's in a great location within walking distance to Monterosso's and 3 Margarita's (among other restaurants) and to the waterfront park. They have free continental breakfast every morning, which was nice to grab a bite after a run along the river. It's also a very easy drive to the wineries in Benton City and those on the outskirts of Richland. We'd stay here again if going back to this region.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness and value
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Husband and I were visiting friends in the area and just needed a place to crash that wasn't too expensive. The room was $70 for two double beds on Saturday night of boat race weekend.

Check-in was fast and easy, however the clerk didn't exactly seem thrilled to be working. The room (213) was cool when we entered, and the temperature was easy to control via the console under the window. The carpet was clean and didn't have any staining or sticky spots as other reviewers had mentioned. The room included a microwave and decently sized fridge, in which we were able to put the fruit we bought from a nearby stand.

The bathroom was impeccably clean and smelled fresh. The shower curtain was on a curved rod and shower head was high enough that my husband didn't complain about showering. The towels were standard for quality of motel we were at; somewhat scratchy and stiff. We brought our own shampoo and lotion so we didn't try the bottles provided. The water was hot, even close to check-out time.

We thought it was strange that a hotel would have double beds instead of queens, so we booked the room with two. The beds were the only bad part of our stay. They were very hard and made it harder than normal to fall asleep. Sheets were standard motel quality and smelled fresh. The pillows were nice and fluffy.

We were hoping to use the pool before check-out on Sunday, but unfortunately it doesn't open until 10. There was complimentary continental breakfast offering cereals, pastries, juices and coffee. The pastries were fresh, but the coffee was sub-par (it tasted like instant). Check-out was easy and only took a minute.

All in all it was a great stay and we wouldn't hesitate to book the Days Inn again. No, this isn't the Hampton Inn, but you shouldn't be expecting a four-star hotel at a one-star price. If you're looking for a decent place to sleep and shower then this motel will be more than adequate.

• Liked — Value for the money, cleanliness
  • Disliked — The hard beds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Booked through Priceline, paid $50.- per night which was just right. A bit disappointed to find only one double bed for the 2 of us, but after talking to the receptionist the problem was quickly solved and we got a room with 2 beds for only $20.- more for the 2 days. Simple and clean Hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. Great location since a lot of points of interest including good Restaurants are in walkable distance.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank moinhilde