“What a fantastic place!!”

K-Diamond-K Guest Ranch
seattle
“What a fantastic place!!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I spent a 3-day weekend at the ranch in the early fall with three girlfriends. My friends and I had such a wonderful time--I just can't stop telling people about it. First, Kathy and Brian and the rest of the crew--Tyler, Lanie, and April-- are utterly delightful--just the best hosts ever. Extremely warm, kind, and just great people. Second, i was very impressed with the quality of the horses. A lot of "dude-ranch" style places have only the nose-to-tail variety of horses. These horses were very well-behaved, but also fun to ride. Kathy does everything she can to incorporate you into the daily workings of the ranch--letting you feed the baby animals (pigs, goats, and a fawn while we were there), saddle up the horses (but only if you want to), brushing them down, giving them a bath. My friends and I were in completely hog heaven. The rooms were comfortable and quiet, the food really good and very ample, and the wranglers top-notch.

I have to comment on "Squeezers'" review. It sounds as though he/she had a very bad experience and I really just can't imagine this happening at this ranch. I never felt anything but completely welcome at the ranch, and was just amazed at how much energy Kathy puts into making it a place where everyone can feel comfortable. What I observed was extremely kind, generous people who obviously love the land and animals very much trying to make their world available to people who wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to experience all of this. I would most definitely recommend this ranch, and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Elaine7768

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Seattle
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I just spent my third vacation at KDiamondK Ranch in Republic, Wasington. As has been my experience each time, the staff was top notch, the food plentiful and delicious, the surroundings breathtaking, from the gorgeous log lodge to God's country just outside the door.

As always the Konz family was nursing multiple orphaned animals. Dr. June, the matriarch is the local verterinarian, and thus people are always bringing her the weak, lame, sick, and orphaned animals they find. This time, the family was nursing, from bottles several times a day, an orphaned baby goat, two fawns whose mother was killed by a car, 3 calves a neighbor brought in, a tiny baby mouse found in the barn, and they were gently teaching an abandoned dog over many months to trust people again. Guests loved helping with these "chores", especially the kids. I got to participate on a 3 person branding team for 48 head of cattle. I was nervous at first, but was so reassured when Kathy, the daughter of the Konz's showed me how previous owners had cruelly and unnecessarily scarred the cows, and how at KDK they only use the branding iron to barely singe the skin, with the goal only being to damage the hair follicles so that the hair doesn't grow there. I manned the soothing ointment and healing medicine, applying it, at their instruction, immediately after the brand was placed for about 3 seconds. During the branding there was one cow we discovered had an eye infection. Dr June came down to the barn and treated that cow immediately, requesting that she and her calf be sequestered so that she could keep an eye on the eye's progress. I was also so impressed with how caring the family is with the horses. They have over 70, yet Kathy was instructing the wranglers to be careful with Casey, as she was a bit claustrophobic and needed to be tied only loosely and not too close to the other horses, and to not take one of the other horses out that day, as her back was a little sore. This family has such a love of animals....every time I go there I am just reminded by them of how God made all creatures great and small and that it is our job to care for them. :)

The food is always good, but this year, it rocked. My favorite meal? Tyler, the cook, made us ribs and green beans one night....those green beans were the absolute best I've ever had....simmered with onion and thick sliced bacon....out of this world. Every meal was more calories than I needed, but I couldn't stop myself. :)

As always the rooms were comfortable and quiet, and beautiful, with the ranch being a place you can just go and be at home. Lots to do, and you just take the initiative and do it. From grabbing fishing poles or inner tubes and heading down to the creek, to taking off on a hike, to helping bale hay (if you want), to driving into town to have an icecream at Eich's Mercantile. Rides every morning through hills under gorgeous skies, and campfires at night. It's heaven, if you are someone who loves just becoming part of the family and making yourself at home on a ranch. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Caryn H
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We came to the K Diamond K to see if we could give our 3 year old a pony experience she had been begging for. K Diamond K delivered-and then some! We knew about this ranch because we came here two years ago and participated in a hay ride and then again a few days later for trail rides. At that time we were renting a house on Lake Curlew. Last week when we brought our daughter to the ranch the staff was so very accommodating; Kathy brought out a pony for my daughter to "take care of"...she was in heaven. We had a bad experience with the lodging that we had chosen (now kicking ourselves for trying to save a buck!) the night before and the staff just brought me to tears with their kindness. If we could have had our money refunded at the other establishment, we for sure would have spent the rest of our vacation here. We will definitely be back; K Diamond K---Thank You!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Caron C
London, UK
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We wound up here by accident - what a treat. The lodge is a classic log construction and very spacious. The people were a delight. Meals - which are included - were most pleasant. The horseback riding into the wilderness trails, led by the guides were a great back to nature experience for city folk. Enjoyed the clay pigen shooting with excellent tutelage. There is also a "saloon" bar for after dinner cold beers and local wines. Overall - highly recommended. June 2012.

Room Tip: Room 12 in the front was good and had an adjoining balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CenturyLondon
seattle
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was looking for a short vacation where I could reconnect with nature and be active. The K Diamond K ranch was the perfect choice. It is a working cattle ranch, so there was a lot of ranch work to do and I loved it. I visited off-season (the last weekend of April) and learned that my experience was a bit different from the summer months when the daily schedule is a bit more regimented and there are more seasonal activities available; however, I was busy and content the whole time.
The lodge walls are lined with broken-in boots and hats so you can borrow whatever you need. I did bring my own leather gloves and a waist pack for my camera.
The ranch hands picked a horse appropriate for my riding level. The horses are healthy and beautiful. Kathy’s mother is a veterinarian with a vet clinic right on the ranch grounds. One day, we took a two-hour ride up into the mountains across from the ranch. Another day, we rode up into the hills behind the ranch. The scenery was breathtaking, and we saw ducks, deer, marmots, hawks, and an eagle.
The rooms are rustic, but very comfortable, each with its own bathroom. I slept better there than I did at home! All meals were hearty and there was enough variety to please most diets. In addition, snacks and fresh fruit were always available.
I was able to participate in as much or as little of the ranch chores as I wanted. After my first day, I was happily tired. I showered, threw on sweat clothes, and enjoyed a hot dinner. Then I spent two hours reclined on a couch reading a book in front of a huge, roaring fire. Does life get any better than that?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank wigbag
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful scenery and peace and quiet made our time at K Diamond K exactly what we were hoping for. The lodge was beautifully made down to the smallest detail and our hostess Kathy and her family treated us like one of their one. We would strongly recommend this establishment to anyone who loves animals especially horses and spending time in the woods. Our meals were tasty and plentiful though breakfast was a little cold but with a good selection to choose from. We will definitely go back again and migbt bring our own horses with us next time as the trail riding could not be any better and our horses would enjoy it as well.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank trotaboutriding
Priest River, Idaho
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you're a city slicker and looking for something totally different from your everyday lifestyle, take a look at K Diamond K Guest Ranch in Republic, WA, homesteaded in 1961. This is truly a working ranch with cattle to feed and herd, horses to ride, hay to bale and anything there is to be done on 1700 acres in the beautiful Eastern Washington mountains. The accommodations are very comfortable with large guest rooms housing beautiful homemade log beds. Your hosts are family members and you can tell they absolutely love what they do and are ever so happy to share the ranch life experience with you. If you're not up for working the daily chores, you can relax and read a book in front of one of two large rock fireplaces. There's hiking trails all over the pproperty, good fishing holes, horseback riding...and the list goes on. I personally think it was heaven on earth...just beautiful and so much fun!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hampton1002

Been to K-Diamond-K Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!