“Great Local Pizzeria” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Seattle, Washington
“Great Local Pizzeria”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Smoking Monkey opened about a year ago on 3rd Street, across from the generally deserted Renton Piazza. It is the perfect small restaurant to get some more folks using the piazza. Wood fired pizza, local microbrews, and a decent wine selection. Try one of the more adventurous pizzas.

• Visited October 2012

Detroit, Michigan
“This was a nice find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was looking for a pizza place that was different than the usual Pizza Hut or Dominoes. I found this place use Yelp and I am glad I did. The pizzas are made fresh with high quality ingredients. The staff was very helpful and pointed us in the right direction as we were new to their menu.

One suggestion if you want to try it would be to go for happy hour. They have specials on many of their pizzas so you can try a couple and it will not break the bank.

I would definitely recommend this pizza place. The Smoking Moneky is much, much better than the average pizzeria.

• Visited July 2012
Renton, Washington
“Pizzeria ultimata!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

OK, I made up that last word (I think). But I am at a loss for normal usual words! This menu is so eclectic and out of the ordinary, it defies my poor addled mind. And one of the principles behind it has an excellent track record already! Gene Sens has Blossom around the corner, The Red House up the street, and Papaya at The Landing, among others.
I've only tried one of the pizzas, the Norton, cuz my wife isn't very adventurous when it comes to pizza. The Norton is what to order if you are a fan of pepperoni. There are 10-12 others to choose from, many with a regional flair. They bring in products from within the area as much as possible for their menu selections that also include appetizers, salads, and desserts. An example of this is the Whistling Train Farm salad. The chef brings in fresh harvested produce each week from this local farm. One recent salad I had included some sort of flower petals! It is delicious and always a pleasant surprise. There are also pasta items on the menu.
There is a small but primo selection of draught beers, wines, and soft drinks. And the desserts include an ever-changing fruit or berry tart. Ask the server what is fresh on your visit!
Orders may be made to-go. That is how I have experienced this establishment. I have yet to eat in. But I placed my orders after arriving and had a drink while waiting. Service is very good, as were my drinks! First two times I had a glass of pinot grigio, last time I had a glass of Ommegang Abbey draught beer. Yummy!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank dlphi50
Bothell, Washington
“Small, but great handmade Italian food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

Took my work group here, 11 of us... A newer little place in downtown Renton. Parking is a bit difficult, so expect to walk a half block or more generally.

Pizza, pasta, grinders (the meatball is excellent) the dough is hand made and tossed, the sandwich 'loaves' are also formed and baked fresh in the wood pizza oven...awesome! Crunchy crust with a chewy soft interior... I could eat my way into a diabetic coma with them, butter, cheese and a bottle of wine. Had several different pizzas and each was carefully crafted, and they were all delicious. They were the Napoli style thin crusted There is an authentic Italian intent behind their food I think...

The wine selection is small but very good, obviously some thought given to quality versus quantity. Beer, pop, water also available.
The pasta orders were given high marks by our party, and most said they would return again for lunch or dinner.

Reasonable, even cheap prices...

I'll be back for sure.

• Visited May 2012
Renton, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Smoking Monkey Pizza is just what Renton needed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

This brand new little Italian-style pizza place is just what Renton needed. Try the Stromboli - pepperoni and cheese rolled up in crust with marinara for dipping - YUM! Margharita pizza is also good. Wine was ok, but ginger beer was excellent. House salad was good. The owner(?) is interesting, but servers are bubbly and cheerful.

• Visited March 2012