“Pretty Good Stay”

TownePlace Suites Seattle South/Renton
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Renton
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights as a nanny for a mom and her 6 month old son. We were able to get a 2 bedroom unit which in itself was awesome for the privacy factor. I would have given a "very good" review except for the following: The free breakfast was fine, but I was never able to find a table to sit at...there are only 3 tables and 3-4 stools. Didn't matter what time I got there either. I would just take my plate back to my room and eat there...3 mornings one of the coffee urns was empty and had to wait which was frustrating. The furniture is way outdated and not very comfy. You can tell pets have stayed in this room...there were scratches on the arms of the LR chair from a cat and the bottom of the molding by one of th bedroom doors was chewed up a bit most likely from a dog. We didn't use the appliances, except for the fridge, but I'm sure they would have been fine if we did. The beds were actually very comfy and I liked that you could open the windows to enjoy the fresh air. Would have been nice to have a TV in both bedrooms though. The front desk seemed nice enough but not educated on "things to do" in Seattle. You need to know that there is NOTHING else around. You are NOT within walking distance to shops or restaurants, you need a car for stuff like that. There is a huge empty lot in front of the 4 hotels there...perhaps someone should think of putting a strip mall in with a Subway or something...just saying.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Cassidy528

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The bathroom was seriously dirty when I arrived. The bed was made, but the bathroom looks like it hadn't been touched in a week. I took a bathroom of the toilet base - dirt and hair. Yuck. The hotel was full so we couldn't change rooms, so they came and cleaned the bathroom again. They did a great job the second time, and were prompt about it, but it made me wonder if the bed sheets had been changed or if it had just been made up. The customer service wasn't good enough to make up for this huge disgusting damper on our hotel stay. I won't stay here again, even though it's location is perfect for my kids' tournaments.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank heatherhad
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just spent a week in this hotel, using it as a base to visit the Seattle area. We didn't have high expectations -- just needed a clean, inexpensive room. It turned out to be a great choice. The staff people are excellent here. They are friendly and helpful, and they quickly solved the one problem that we had with our room early in our stay. The room was not huge (we had a queen room with a foldout couch), but it was adequate for our needs. The housekeeping staff kept us well cared-for. The kitchen was helpful for storing snacks and drinks though we did not attempt to cook there.

One of the best things about the hotel is the free shuttle service to the airport, which is where the Seattle light rail originates. The light rail is the best way to get to downtown Seattle from this location, but the nearest stop to the hotel is not easy to use because the parking lot fills up very early in the morning. But the hotel van will drop you at the airport, so you don't have to pay for airport parking all day. And they pick you up when you return. You just have to call when you get to the station. This saved us a lot of time and money.

The area where the hotel is is not that exciting. The food choices were not great, or maybe we just didn't find the right ones. But we had a car to travel to other areas to eat. The nearby Southcenter mall has some good restaurants. The area nearby has a lot of Asian choices. We ate at Lemongrass, a Vietnamese place not far from the hotel. It was good. Most of the other choices were chain restaurants.

The hotel breakfast had the advantage of being free, but after the first few days we skipped it. The breads and pastries were kind of stale, and there weren't a lot of choices, especially later in the breakfast period when a lot of people had already eaten. Still, breakfast was crowded whenever we went in there, so someone must have been enjoying it.

The free wifi worked well for us, even sitting by the pool in the evenings. There is also a desktop computer with a printer in the lobby where you can go to print boarding passes and tickets.

All in all, this hotel was a great choice for us and I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for an inexpensive home base while visiting Seattle.

Room Tip: If you're really sensitive to noise, avoid the main building lower floors that are close to the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ToscaShopping
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here twice - at the start and end of our vacation since it is close to the airport. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and comfortable. They do have an airport shuttle - you have to call for pickup - it's not one that is continually looping between hotel and airport, so factor that into plans. For return to airport, they have hourly shuttles, but you need let them know you need it - it doesn't run automatically. It fit the bill for what we needed, and again the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TN-Traveler38017
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Very friendly staff, Auggie and Caleb were outstanding. Pet friendly too. My family was displaced due to water damage and our 2 cats could stay there for a flat $100 pet fee. Great Continental Breakfast!
It's not bacon but it had a variety. They were always restocking, no problem to ask for something. The suite was comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AH1S
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Our stay at the TownePlace Suites was pleasant. We stayed only for a night after flying into Seatac so that we could rest up before our drive home. We booked the room at the last minute through Priceline.

When we got to the hotel we were warmly greeted by the front desk clerk. Even though I booked through Priceline, the front desk clerk asked about my Marriott rewards card and looked me up in their system so that I would receive credit for the stay.

The facility was under some renovation when we arrived. The desk clerk walked us to the elevator and pointed out to us the alternate breakfast room they had set up.

Our room was very spacious, but we quickly discovered that the room was equipped for wheelchair access. This wasn't something we asked for, we could only assume that this was what was left by the time we actually checked in. The room was quite clean and appeared to be lightly used or recently renovated.

I was disappointed at the condition of the shower. There was noticeable dirt or staining on the grout in-between the tiles in the shower and the floor of the tub appeared to have ground in dirt on the non-slip surface. The rest of the bathroom was spotless.

The kitchenette was nicely quipped and clean, including both a dishwasher and a stove with an oven. I've stayed at a few too many of the extended stay places and not had a dishwasher or oven, making the kitchen not all that useful and the utensils provided cruddy and scary to use. Because the room was designed for those who might be utilizing a wheelchair, the counter tops were quite low making the kitchen a bit odd to use.

There was only a limited amount of dishwasher soap, one solitary Finish Tab was provided to run the dishwasher and there was only one dishcloth and one dishtowel provided. If I were staying longer I would have appreciated having at least a small supply of dishwasher detergent on hand in the room along with a couple of dishcloths and dish towels.

The biggest problem with the room was the refrigerator. It ran all night and was very loud. There was definitely something wrong with it. At checkout I notified teh desk clerk of the refrigerator issue. He seemed genuinely concerned about my sleep quality. It would be nice to think that they would have addressed that issue after I brought it to their attention.

All in all a nice stay. I would have liked a more conventional room with a quieter fridge, but we still got a good night's rest.

Room Tip: Unless you are disabled, avoid getting a room that is wheelchair compatible. Kitchen layout is stra...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mtgops
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Very good hotel value! Clean rooms, some adjoining to others. All with full kitchenettes meaning a four burner stove, fridge, freezer, microwave, & dishwasher. Queen size beds in all rooms with pull out couch. Small bath tubs except in handicap accessible rooms. Shower is strong, Speakman shower heads are awesome. Very good room air temperature control from thermostat on wall, which monitors room usage so when you are out of the room, the A/C goes off. Makes for a hot or cold room when you return. Beds are very comfortable. Location is easy to find, just east of Westgate Southcenter shopping mall. Take Southcenter Blvd east, which turns into Grand Ave. South at Lind Ave, hotel is on east side of Lind about a mile south. Easy access to I-405. Free airport shuttle leaves hotel on the hour. Free pick up from airport. Very friendly staff. Free breakfast is less selection than Springhill, Residence or Courtyard. Bagels, cereal, muffins, juice, eggo waffles. Seasonal outdoor pool. I would stay here again if the price was right!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much larger than other rooms, so ask for these if you can get them. Elevator is at...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank yvrtravelguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renton
SpringHill Suites Seattle South/Renton
Larkspur Landing Renton
Hilton Garden Inn Seattle/Renton
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle/Renton
Hyatt Regency Lake Washington at Seattle’s Southport
Residence Inn Seattle South/Tukwila

Been to TownePlace Suites Seattle South/Renton? Share your experiences!