“Do NOT order the Mojarra fish!”
Review of Tu Casa - CLOSED

Tu Casa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I went to Tu Casa to fulfill an AA Dining rewards points opportunity, but also based upon decent (albeit inconsistent) prior TA reviews. I now understand why the reviews are inconsistent.

First, service is quite good. I walked into the bar and asked the server to change the channel on the one and only TV montior in the bar, so that I could watch college football. No problem. Channel changed immediately! I was pleased. Excellent start. I ordered a glass of the house red wine, again immediately delivered, and settled in to enjoy a nice dinner. We're on a roll, I'm thinking....

Chips and salsa were simultaneously delivered to the table with the wine. Chips were crisp and fresh. The salsa is nothing particularly special -- just average in my judgment. Then, I reviewed the menu deciding that particular evening to stay away from higher fat/calorie traditional Mexican food or combo plate choices, and focus instead on a fish choice. I selected Mojarra prepared "a la Diablo" (spicy red sauce with mushrooms) based upon the menu description, even though it is among the most expensive items on the menu ($15.35). Must be really good, I thought. The menu says that the Mojarra is white fish, seasoned, and lightly fried.

It was too good to be true. I became concerned immediately upon delivery of the main dish after just 5 minutes. There were (only) four fatal flaws:

1) The fish was delivered whole -- head and tail intact, and not fileted. Nowhere in the menu description was this disclosed, and the waiter also did not explain this when I ordered the dish. He should have. (Most Americans, when they order fish, anticipate that it will be fileted, with head/tail removed. That was certainly my expectation.)

2) The fish had been deep fried, not lightly fried (hence the reason it could be delivered in 5 minutes or less); and

3) The fish was thin, with very little "meat on the bones". With the deep frying process, it became exceedingly difficult to extract whatever meat was there. Not much of a meal, and

4) As a result of these issues, the "a la Diablo" sauce completely overwhelmed the dish. It was tasty, certainly spicey, and loaded with mushrooms -- but with little in the way of fish to enjoy, it was very disappointing.

I debated sending it back, but decided not to make a scene. That's not my style. On my way out, I mentioned to the manager on duty all of the above. He acknowledged that the fish was deep fried, and accepted my comments as articulated above. But that was it. Usually when a customer doesn't enjoy his dinner, but doesn't complain until the way out, a good manager will make some kind of offer to encourage a return visit. This manager did not. So, I won't be back -- the extra AA miles just aren't worth it.

14  Thank mshbnyehud

Reviewed August 1, 2012

After driving around in an area where all we knew with the major chains, we stumbled upon Tu Casa Mexican restaurant. Since I have lived in Los Angeles my entire life I figured this place would be lack-luster at best. But we decided to go inside because we were in the mood for chips. As it turns out the chips and salsa were delicious. And as I passed by other tables I asked one of the diners what he was eating as it looked real good. He told me and commented that he and his family always come here.

Thinking we were in for a treat I ordered a burrito, which comes with rice and beans outside. That is something you almost never see in Los Angeles. My wife order two crunchy tacos. Both of us found our food to be absolutely delicious.

On the kids menu my son ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, which comes with seasoned curly fries that taste very similar to those you would buy at Jack-in-the-Box, and my daughter had a quesadilla. They seem to be very happy with their food as their plates were empty.

The service was excellent, the staff was attentive, the drinks and chips were refilled when needed, and this very accidental discovery of a Mexican restaurant turned out to be a great win.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

If you're looking for your standard generic Mexican food, then this is it. It's not terrible, but not that great either. I would probably give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

1  Thank KolkataTraveler
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Overall, it is a restaurant I won't visit again (the food is truly nothing special), but a friendly place, though our waiter was attentive yet inattentive. He was moving around so quickly from table to table that he once left the table while I tried to ask him a question and another time he started leaving the table when he thought we were done ordering dinner. My husband had to stop him to let him know he wanted a side of guacamole. Nice man, but he needs to slow his roll and listen.

We had #23 large combo plate and Adelita dessert. I have written the following breakdown of our meal:

Chips and Salsa: fine; chips were not stale and the salsa had a nice little kick for me, but husband couldn't tell.

Guacamole: fine and tasty.

Rice & Beans: fine.

Pork Enchilada: so-so as the pork was a bit dry (sometimes looked discolored, but I wasn't positive) and the enchilada sauce was not tasty meaning it was edible but not delicious. It was a tad sweet and lacked flavor.

Chili Relleno: First time having it; so-so as it was soggy with little flavor to it and was overtaken by all of the cheese that topped it.

Tamale: only ate half of it; the masa was thick and dry, it was covered in the non-tasty enchilada sauce described above, and the pork inside was OK.

Adelita - Flan with Sopapilla and Ice Cream: DISGUSTING; the flan wasn't silky whatsoever; it had a chunky texture; it felt and tasted like it was a frozen dessert purchased from the local Cash & Carry; only took one bite; the sopapillas were just glorified fried flour tortilla chips topped with honey, canned or jar strawberry topping, and spray can whipped cream; the ice cream was normal and vanilla.

I truly thought what lacked in the dinner would be saved by the dessert, but it ended up acting as the last nail in the coffin.

1  Thank Janice W
Reviewed April 29, 2012

no one of us could eat is entree. it was too spicy. sorry but not for northern people!