“Surprisingly authentic and extremely delicious”
Review of Tu Casa - CLOSED

Tu Casa
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 1, 2012

After driving around in an area where all we knew with the major chains, we stumbled upon Tu Casa Mexican restaurant. Since I have lived in Los Angeles my entire life I figured this place would be lack-luster at best. But we decided to go inside because we were in the mood for chips. As it turns out the chips and salsa were delicious. And as I passed by other tables I asked one of the diners what he was eating as it looked real good. He told me and commented that he and his family always come here.

Thinking we were in for a treat I ordered a burrito, which comes with rice and beans outside. That is something you almost never see in Los Angeles. My wife order two crunchy tacos. Both of us found our food to be absolutely delicious.

On the kids menu my son ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, which comes with seasoned curly fries that taste very similar to those you would buy at Jack-in-the-Box, and my daughter had a quesadilla. They seem to be very happy with their food as their plates were empty.

The service was excellent, the staff was attentive, the drinks and chips were refilled when needed, and this very accidental discovery of a Mexican restaurant turned out to be a great win.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

If you're looking for your standard generic Mexican food, then this is it. It's not terrible, but not that great either. I would probably give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

1  Thank KolkataTraveler
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Overall, it is a restaurant I won't visit again (the food is truly nothing special), but a friendly place, though our waiter was attentive yet inattentive. He was moving around so quickly from table to table that he once left the table while I tried to ask him a question and another time he started leaving the table when he thought we were done ordering dinner. My husband had to stop him to let him know he wanted a side of guacamole. Nice man, but he needs to slow his roll and listen.

We had #23 large combo plate and Adelita dessert. I have written the following breakdown of our meal:

Chips and Salsa: fine; chips were not stale and the salsa had a nice little kick for me, but husband couldn't tell.

Guacamole: fine and tasty.

Rice & Beans: fine.

Pork Enchilada: so-so as the pork was a bit dry (sometimes looked discolored, but I wasn't positive) and the enchilada sauce was not tasty meaning it was edible but not delicious. It was a tad sweet and lacked flavor.

Chili Relleno: First time having it; so-so as it was soggy with little flavor to it and was overtaken by all of the cheese that topped it.

Tamale: only ate half of it; the masa was thick and dry, it was covered in the non-tasty enchilada sauce described above, and the pork inside was OK.

Adelita - Flan with Sopapilla and Ice Cream: DISGUSTING; the flan wasn't silky whatsoever; it had a chunky texture; it felt and tasted like it was a frozen dessert purchased from the local Cash & Carry; only took one bite; the sopapillas were just glorified fried flour tortilla chips topped with honey, canned or jar strawberry topping, and spray can whipped cream; the ice cream was normal and vanilla.

I truly thought what lacked in the dinner would be saved by the dessert, but it ended up acting as the last nail in the coffin.

1  Thank Janice W
Reviewed April 29, 2012

no one of us could eat is entree. it was too spicy. sorry but not for northern people!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We like the service and since this place is so close to our house, we go fairly often. Don't expect anything fancy, but I like the food.