“Worth the visit”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Beavercreek, Ohio
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We went to this restaurant while visiting our grown daughter on a Friday evening and thankfully we got there just after they opened (4:30). We were still on eastern time so our tummies thought it was 7:30. We were treated to a small very well run restaurant with the ambiance of a Boston North End eatery in a strip mall in Washington State. All three of us ordered off the "Specials of the Day" menu and were treated to wonderfully prepared and tasty pasta and chicken dishes. Portion size was just right....on my last bite, I was DONE. The regular menu had a wide selection of dishes and an extensive wine selection. Our waiter was attentive but not overly and knowledgeable of the menu and wine selection. Excellent service. A little on the pricey side, but would go again on our next visit to Redmond. Went we left, there were about 20 people standing in the rain waiting to get in.

• Visited November 2013

Victoria, Canada
“Comfort food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Tropea is located in a small strip mall in downtown Redmond. I would not have found it without the recommendation of my hosts at Meritage Meadows Inn. Tropea was an excellent choice for me as they have a regular clientele of individuals who elect to dine with them; food was very good, portions are large and a personal serving of wine of quality.

• Visited September 2013
SEQUIM
“Tiny, Tiny Restaurant, Fantastic Food and Service!!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our group of six decided that this restaurant's reviews by fellow Trip Advisor reviewers warranted a visit. Two of our group had pizza, two spaghetti dishes, and two others had Penne dishes. All the food was wonderful. The sauces on the penne and spaghetti dishes were some of the best we've ever had at any Italian restaurant. Service was impeccable. Everything is a la carte, so the cost for dinner can get expensive with a few add-ons. We were very, very fortunate to get a table for six without waiting (around 5:30 pm). When we finished dinner, there must have been about 20 people waiting for tables (they DO NOT take reservations). Still, it is worth the wait!

• Visited September 2013
Austin, Texas
“Small quaint little Italian place”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We’ve wanted to try this place out for some time now, but it’s always very busy with a min. 30-40 min wait over Fri-Sat. (No reservations) We were in the area last week Thursday and decided to try it as there were no lines & I am really glad we did. The food and service was really good. Our waiter was very friendly, knowledgeable and made great recommendations for both food & wine! The food came out fairly quickly and tasted delicious. Will def. go back!

• Visited August 2013
Victoria
“Excellent Service and Ambiance”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is one of those reviews that is a little difficult to write; on the one hand I'd really like to give Tropea a five-star rating - and I can certainly understand why many people have done so - but I want this review to help manage people's expectations.

Service and ambiance are excellent and far better than one could dare to hope for given that the restaurant is tucked away in a strip mall. The owner is full of real Italian bonhomie and totally charming; our waiter was equally attentive and made our experience fun.

So, why only three stars? I'm a foodie and the food was not just rustic, which is in itself not a problem, but extremely dated. My wife and I shared an antipasti which was good, large and predictable - in fact we even managed to take a little back to our hotel to enjoy the next day with pre-dinner drinks.

My primary issue was with the entree. I love Veal Masala, and ordered it with vegetables rather than pasta. The vegetables were excellent, although $3.50 extra, but the veal was nowhere to be seen - it lay under a veritable swamp of sauce; a thick, floury, soup of a sauce which while passable in flavour pretty much killed any enjoyment, or flavour, that could be gained from the veal.

My wife had a simple pasta, which she said was good. Dessert was Tiramisu - provided free it seems to all guests (we shared one and it was below par to be honest and my dessert loving wife, left some even with my help).

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our evening - a little expensive perhaps - but be prepared for food cooked 70's style. Who knows, perhaps in parts of rural Italy this is still the way food is prepared. Certainly not in the areas I've been to though such as Tuscany, Venice and the Amalfi coast.

I think we are probably in a minority as the place was packed and it was a Monday night, so for many people Tropea is THE place to eat in Redmond. Just keep your expectations in check.

• Visited August 2013