“Only high marks”

Cuisines: Italian, International, Contemporary
Seattle, Washington
“Only high marks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

For our reunion of 3 dispersed couples, we could only agree on "cozy", "intimate" and "convenient". With high marks from customers in Trip Advisor and 'another review site' Sages was on the money for a first try. I read that reservations were accepted for 6 or more and while our dinner was early Sunday night, we made one with no reluctance from Sages. The day before I checked out the restaurant, and the warm uncluttered decor and linen tablecloths said, "good choice".
I think that our waiter's name was Michael, and he was delightful - welcoming us as the restaurant opened and tolerating our reunion banter with easy patience and enthusiasm.
The menu is not an overwhelming text book, but is richly varied:
our choices included Bart's Signature Chicken, Mediterranean Pasta, Wild Salmon Picatta, Pear Gorgonzola Ravioli, Clam Linguini; and I went 'light' with the Sages salad and an appetizer, Spicy Shrimp Tower.
You have to understand that we've dined with the members of our party multiple times and 2 are never satisfied - our purpose in choosing a destination new to all.
Everyone was thrilled with their experiences. The stuffed chicken and asparagus; pasta dishes were perfectly prepared and beautifully presented; the sauce and pear ravioli were 'amazing'; I also heard good reviews around the linguini and Med. pasta. My shrimp tower was unbelievable - about 12 jumbo prawns, nested in twos and tiered high - resembling a robust lobster tail, with garlic and herb butter sauce reminiscent of a Gloucester scampi. I loved the Sages salad with candied pecans, crumbled gorgonzola cheese and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. The others enjoyed their mixed green salads, but I was very happy with my selection.

The restaurant is situated on a corner so while there is no 'view' per se; you have directional street views from the many windows that face two directions.
There were two long tables to accommodate parties of six in front of a romantic gas log fire. Between the larger tables was a little snug, not for us but for the waitperson who tended to the water glasses which were continuously filled and baskets with delicious bread slices.
We were not rushed in the least and each of us had only high grades for our waiter and his assistant. The service was attentive but easily permitted our nonstop interaction among friends.

There was an 18% service fee included on the tabs, which were handwritten since we had requested checks divided by couple. I didn't ask if the fee was typically added. One minor lapse in service during our experience is that fresh pepper or parmesan cheese were not proffered, which was absolutely fine since while tasting the meals - no additions seemed at all warranted.

Our dinners left no spaces to try the desserts; and every one of us said we-shall-return to Sages.

• Visited December 2012

Seattle, Wa
“Terrible service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had dinner reservations and arrived on time. The waiter took our order right away, but it was over 1 1/2 hours before we got our meal. The restaurant was pretty much empty by the time our meals came, so I have no idea what was going on in the back. No apologies were expressed by the staff.

On top of that they forced an 18% gratuity charge (we were a party of six) so I couldn't even expressed my displeasure in the tip. We won't be back.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Speedskier
Seattle WA
“A GREAT restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I was excited to try Sages after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and am happy to say the reviews were right on target, this is a great restaurant! So happy to find a great place that doesn't require a long drive into downtown Seattle. If you are looking for a warm, cozy, romantic atmosphere+fantastic food and service, this is the place to go! My husband and I will definitely go back again, we loved our dining experience at Sages.

Redmond, Washington
“Hard to get a seat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The food is great. It's hard to get in, and the hours are a bit, well, odd. Sometimes it's just not open, sometimes it's open late, and I may just have not mastered the schedule. They are somewhat more dressy than most places around here, and do tend to look a bit askance if you're not well dressed. All the entree's are good as far as I can tell, but I have to put in a special plug for the gnocchi.

Visited February 2012
Redmond
“Good food, not a chain.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Love this place, good service variety of fresh food. Nice wine list. The service is great--seems like family and friends work together there.

Visited December 2011