“Good location, but overpriced”

Seattle Marriott Redmond
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Redmond
Omaha, Nebraska
“Good location, but overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

I recently stayed at the Redmond Marriott Town Center when I was in Seattle for a Microsoft event. The location honestly couldn't have been better as far as proximity and travel time to/from the Microsoft campus. It's just one exit down highway 520, so traffic really isn't much of an issue. The location is also great as Redmond Town Center is an outdoor shopping and entertainment center with a number of stores, restaurants, a movie theater, etc.

Unfortunately, despite the great location, I can't rate the Marriott that highly. Their rates are very expensive, service was poor (in my optinion), and as others have noted, they charge for EVERYTHING! When I arrived, I parked in the front drive (clearly marked "Guest Registration and Valet Parking") just to go check in. The valet immediately wanted to park my car, but I explained I was just going to check-in, then move to the parking garage. He seemed put off that I didn't just park in the garage (even though I had no which garage was for the hotel, etc.). I checked in, then had to go back to the valet to get a parking pass... why couldn't I just get that when I checked in... hmm? He still seemed ticked that I was self-parking, not valet, and was hovering like he expected a tip. (Do you tip the valet even when you don't use their services? Maybe I was suposed to.)

Room was nice, but nothing to write home about... very nice bed, but I'd expect that for a Marriott. The room seemed a little small, but not bad. The fitness center was a little small and, again, nothing special. Didn't check out the restaurant, because there were so many other choices, and Microsoft feeds visitors well anyway.

When I returned to my room after a long day Friday, I found that housekeeping hadn't even been to my room day. Bed was not made, no new towels, lights exactly how I left them, etc. For the price and class of the hotel, I was very upset. Immediately, the front desk staff tried to blame me -- "Did you have your privacy sign out?" they asked. I was leaving for dinner and told them when I returned, I expected the room to be taken care of. They didn't offer any futher compensation, but I did convince them to remove the Internet charges from my bill.

The location of this hotel can't be beat, but I would have a hard time recommending it before checking out others in the area. Parking is $8 daily for self-park (in a garage that's free during the day!), Internet is $10 daily. Staff was not friendly -- not rude, just not friendly. There's a Residence Inn (also a Marriott brand) directly behind the Marriott, which does not charge for parking OR Internet, has the typically Residence Inn breakfast and evening appetizers, all for the same rate I paid at the Marriott. Wish I would have known that first!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Overpriced, not a great value
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the Residence Inn... same great location, probably better value
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank schumatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Madison WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a 5 week tour of the Northwest in August 2006. While the room was nice (no refrigerator- so my lovely white wine had to be drunk on the rocks) and the bed was exceptionally comfortable, at the price we paid, the charges for internet access were outrageous. We paid $11.95 a day for internet access. (Whereas, most other hotels we stayed at this trip provided it free of charge) Then when we had to print some documents, we were forced to go to the business center, log on again, pay for that access again and then pay for the printing. All in all, we ended up paying $50 dollars for internet access and the printing of 6 pages.
Additionally, we were staying on the concierge floor, at a premium. However, the concierge guest room closed on Sat., so the benefit of staying on that floor was nullified, but without a price reduction.

• Stayed August 2006
1 Thank beccam
San Anselmo, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

My wife and I spent a night at the Redmond Marriott in September 2006. I used Marriott Reward points and got a free night. I have to say it was a good use of my points--I've never had a better experience at a Marriott hotel.

The quality started even before I left on my trip. After easily booking my reward stay online, I received an email a week before the trip offering me a variety of "Virtual Concierge" services to make my stay more comfortable--wine, local beers, cheese plates, fruit plates, flowers, foam pillows, a pool view, dinner reservations, and more. I requested foam pillows, and sure enough, they were in my room when I checked in. These are the kinds of things that more hotels need to do in order to make even a simple stay memorable.

Check-in was a breeze. The room was gorgeous--luxurious and clean. The bed was soft and comfortable, and the linens were excellent. The room was a reasonable size and was in excellent shape--modern design and impeccably maintained. Most of all it was cool, quiet and serene. Very relaxing. The location is fantastic--right in the middle of Town Center, which has a lot of upscale shops and restaurants within walking distance.

The bathroom was nice--well lit and sizeable, with good bath products. High speed internet is available.

Valet parking was prompt and courteous. When we checked out, they gave us two bottle of water for the road.

As a traveller with a highly critical eye, I appreciate perfection, and the Redmond Marriott came through with a perfect score.

• Liked — Everything! Outstanding service, beautiful room--total perfection
  • Tips/Secrets — If you travel to Redmond and do not stay here, you should have your head checked
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BradleyX
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

I frequently travel to Redmond, approx every 2 months. Have stayed both here and the Residence Inn. This is more upscale so I prefer to stay here.

The staff is top notch. I find this to be the case with virtually all Marriotts. Never ever had an issue. They are extremely friendly and will essentially stand on their head to please you. They have always accomodated me if I need late/early check-in or check out, store my luggage and helping when my eye glasses broke. They have even allowed me to order breakfast after breakfast hours.

Positives: The hotel is fairly new and very clean. The location is spectacular! There are so many places to eat and shop in the town center. Every store from Macy's to the Gap is there. When I was here on a previous visit in December the town center was decorated so nice for Christmas. They had a festival going on. It was beautiful. Every night, school children would sing carols in the stage area or Christmas music was piped in. It really put you in the holiday spirit.

The rooms have the standard Marriott bed, lots of TV stations, the exercise room is nice too, not at nice as the JW Marriott but nice.

The breakfast buffet rocks! Highly recommend. If you eat in your room, that breakfast is good also and they are accomodating to any substitions you make. In fact I always order pretty much the same thing and the girl taking the order remembered me from 2 months ago!

Some good places to eat in Town Center are Matt's Oyster Bar as another reviewer mentioned. Claim Jumpers, super large portions so if you have an option to get a half order do so. And save room for the spectacular desserts! I have taken clients to both of these places to rave reviews from them. Also Ruby's Diner is fabulous, be sure to try their milk shakes. Cucina,Cucina is good also and there is a Red Robin nearby.

Negatives:
I would suggest an upper floor. One time I stayed on floor 2 and was kept awake two nights from music played during a function taking place downstairs. They offered to switch my room but it was too much hassle to re-pack. So now I always request an upper floor. Also I am not too keen on the starch white comforters they are now using opposed to the more colorful ones a few months back.

And they really should offer free internet like the Residence Inn next store does. With all the business my company gives or brings to this hotel they should provide this.

I look forward to my trips and cannot wait to go there again in May. I have stayed at the W and Westin in Seattle, they are wonderful too. But when you need to be in Redmond this is the premier hotel. Even if I need to stay in downtown Seattle, I try to squeeze in one night here so I can shop/eat in the town center. I love it that much.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank OnTheRoadWithMe
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2006

Had to stay in Redmond for a couple of days & ended up here. Comfortable bed, clean rooms, good bar, good food. Shopping mall is directly outside which is useful. Will stay again if need to be in Redmond but prefer to stay in Seattle.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rowlett, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

My wife and I stayed three nights in this very unique facility. I was presenting for an entire day in the hotel's conference rooms sponsored by "a very large Redmond based company" and had a couple of days to just hang out there. First of all, it is nestled in an two-story outdoor mall, complete with a movie theatre, resturants, coffee shops and higher end retailers, as well as some specialty shops. I had never seen anything quite like it. While I was working, my wife was able to go shopping so she was obviously happy. I never really even needed to use my rental car while I was there ... everything was within close walking distance. Despite it being essentially an outdoor mall, it was fairly quiet. At the time of this writing, this facility (and the mall) were only about 18 months old.

The front desk was very helpful. Several times I asked their advice on resturants in the Town Center "mall" and they gave me good tips. On the day of the presentation, I asked if I could get into one of the rooms at 5:00 AM and they obliged.

The room itself was average in size ... maybe slightly larger than what I was expecting. Nice wood work in the room and bath room. Great bathroom, towels, ammenities, etc. Very comfortable. Wish I had stayed there a couple more nights (instead we went somewhere else ... that's another story...)

One small gripe ... the curtains didn't pull together completely. I hate when that happens.

The valet was great. We ate two or three times in the hotel resturant (including their breakfast) and it was awesome as well. Also, I ate a catered lunch there (sandwiches, salads, etc.) and it was perfect (loved the salmon chowder!) And the presentation rooms were very comfortable for our small group.

I highly recommend this hotel. I was impressed with the service and the quality of the room, and the location put it over the top.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank taborro
Southeast Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott Town Center Thursday June 21 through Sunday, June 24. We received a great rate of $79.00/night through AAA.

Our room had 2 queen beds and was on the 5th floor. The room was very clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable. Thursday night I was woken up by a loud telephone conversation in the next room but that was the only time that noise was a problem.

Be aware that if you stay there you must get a parking pass from the hotel to park in the parking lot across the street. This was not clear to us the first night and we got a violation notice from the Redmond Town Center. There is valet parking for $12.00/night. Self Parking is $8.00/night.

The hotel is located in the Redmond Town Center which makes it very convenient to shopping, a movie theater and places to eat including cold stone creamery right across the street and Tully's coffee across the street.

The staff was very friendly.

I would stay here again and recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Sassycruiser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redmond
Hyatt House Seattle/Redmond
Redmond Inn
Redmond Inn
#5 of 7 in Redmond
Residence Inn Seattle East/Redmond
Silver Cloud Inn Redmond
Fairfield Inn & Suites Seattle Bellevue/Redmond
Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa

Been to Seattle Marriott Redmond? Share your experiences!