“Desert Heaven!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Quincy
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Desert Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

We read the previous reviews with great interest...having been to Cave B 2X...once 13 months ago, and then again, last weekend. We were stunned by all the negativity. Both visits reflected an extraordinary time.

We travel extensively, and know what we like. And, this place is TOP NOTCH. Although, it is not an inexpensive weekend, and for the price, they could clean their picture windows & the restaurant service was slow (but, cordial)

The surrounding countryside is rugged and unforgiving, but magnificent, especially with the spring flowers blooming.

Cuvee', the resident black lab, makes a wonderful hostess. She takes her job seriously and leads her guests around the property. She doesn't play favorites with all the visiting dogs (or humans...), she is equally welcoming to all.

Ahh, heaven in the desert. Only wish e were back ther eright now!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Cheney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

I did not like the forced valet service or the lack of water in the morning for showering and everything else you need water for, or the fact that when it was discovered there was no water no one would answer the desk . The cleanliness was lacking, someone previous had spilled pop in the bathroom and it was not cleaned which attracted all the visitors I had (ants).
The employees were fine but didn't tell me anything, everything I learned was through questions I asked, like where is my room, where is the restaurant, when is the water going to come on, where is my vehicle you parked? They acted like I should know everything already? It was my first and last trip there. Too bad to because it could have easily been a better experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank jmcclure
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay last weekend. When I searched the website and read some of the negative reviews I decided that it was worth the risk. I am so glad I decided to book our weekend. The entire process was great without one glitch. I made the reservation on line and immediately confirmations came back that all was set. I booked the package that included a voucher for both the restaurant and spa along with one of the cliff houses. Soon after my reservation the spa manager contacted me to make a reservation as they were filling up fast. A simple thing really but made a good impression on my part. I called up to make a dinner reservation and a very nice lady took care of that as well. The last part was booking a barrel tasting at the winery. I spoke with Joe who said it was a busy weekend and they were a little short on staff but he would do what he could to make it happen. Great everything is set up for our weekend with no glitches so far.

We leave Seattle a little late and just make it in time for our scheduled wine tasting. Joe was there and said we were good to go. Another group of couples had also made a reservation so we had a small group. Joe did a wonderful job as we tasted the various barrels and we got to know the others in our group. Truly a fun experience. I drop my wife off at the spa and I stroll down to check in. Again very nice guy and everything was a breeze. Now what else could you expect from a fellow WSU cougar!

The rest of the weekend was more of the same. The executive chef took us to our table for dinner and told us about the meals and the rest of the staff was great. The staff at the inn is young but they all do a great job so if you are at all nervous about heading over forget it and book you stay. You won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

This property is absolutely stunning and I loved the earthy, organic flow and the blurring of the line between inside and out. Our room (cliff house #2) was beautiful, functional and cozy all at the same time. The night we checked in the service was very friendly and professional and I was so impressed with the tasteful and subdued elegance of the main lodge. We went straight to our room and I went straight into the wonderful soaking tub but began to notice some housekeeping issues. There was a buggy spider web in the corner next to the tub below the window and I noticed another next to the door. Also, there was some chocolate like substance crusted onto the faucet handle on the tub. While these are minor issues I really expected the room to be immaculate considering the reputation (and the price tag) of this hotel. We had a great nights sleep in our comfy bed and woke up hungry and excited to experience a meal in the lodge. We arrived early but the kitchen was supposed to be open. However, the staff seemed totally unprepaired for us or the other 4 guests that came in. The contenental breakfast was very scanty and totally unimpressive. I decided to order off the menu instead and once I found a waitress it took her quite a while to even locate a menu. I ordered scrabled eggs and toast ( they were out of toast) and the meal I was served was totally without personality-no spices or seasoning at all, no garnish, blah! Later in the day I had an hour long massage at the spa and that was fabulous in every way. The spa was absolutely luxurious, professional and relaxing. The woman who performed my massage was great and I was totally pleased with the experience. This place is beautiful and has so much potential but there is a definate lack in attention to detail and excellence that detracts from the overall experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
CaveBTeam, General Manager at Cave B Estate Winery & Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of Cave B Inn at SageCliffe. We value your feedback, and always strive to improve the quality of our guest experience.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property, staff and spa services. We are sorry to hear about the housekeeping oversight and breakfast service issues.

Please accept our sincere apology and be assured that your comments have been circulated among all pertinent staff so that these issues may be addressed.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity in the future to provide the quality experience that meets the high standard our guests are accustomed to.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

We stopped by the Cave B on our way back from a family thanksgiving trip, and I wanted to surprise my significant other with an overnight trip but I had not been able to make reservations yet. This required a quick, sly inquiry then check-in while he was off taking pictures. And the lovely Ignacio was quick to help and got me all set up just in time to inform my S.O as he was coming in the door that we would be enjoying a lovely night there. Efficient and so gracious! They even treated us to a glass of wine to welcome us, and set us up in a beautiful cliff house.
The views are stunning. great place to watch the sunset!
Great architecture, unobtrusive, works with the landscape and the weather conditions. Wind rolls right over the buildings curved roofs. I felt sheltered in the cliff.
If it had been warmer we would have tried that swimming pool, it looked very nice.
We enjoyed the offerings of the tasting room $12 for 8 tastings a piece. The 100 Red was a winner for us.
We enjoyed the Chef's Tasting Menu at $49 each. A little expensive but the ingredients were well selected. The beef was melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and I understand is from a new supplier. Well done. Chestnut soup was succulent and velvety, the pasta was rich and decadent, and the pear tart was a great finish. The service was great, with the exception at the end of the dinner we were the only people left, trying to finish our dessert and the staff was hurriedly breaking down the kitchen and turning the dining room all around us and it got loud. I would have preferred to be able to finish my meal in peace, it sort of ruined the last course and after dinner drink/mood for us. =(
(They also did this during breakfast)

The room was comfortable and size-able, with a nice size bathroom, a veranda to star gaze on, and a separate sitting area from the King size bed. Comfortable bed!
Basic toiletries, and in full size stationary containers. (no taking the extras home with you here).
I do wish the TV rotated to face the bedroom perhaps, as it is above the pass-through gas fireplace.
The valet service to drive you from point-to-point on the property was a nice touch, especially in the cold.
Breakfast was total about $20 using our coupons for free continental and I ordered a (very spicy) bloody Mary. Could have used some Oomph, it was pretty bland/basic. Maybe a couple of the a la cart options would have been best. I would have loved to sleep in longer and enjoy a late check out and later breakfast. I would have liked a little more peace while dining and more reverence for my enjoying a meal.
Coffee service to the rooms would be a wonderful additional touch as well.
Overall it was a bit indulgent but we have a lovely time, the staff were accommodating and sweet. I was pleased with this.
Thanks to the Cave B for a charming getaway!

washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2009

We wanted a romantic weekend for my husbands bday. The man who booked us was very nice. There was a small bday cake waiting for my husband in the room when we checked in. (a wonderful surprise). We had massages scheduled at the spa. I do not tell therapist that I have been a massage therapist for 12 years as i dont wan to talk shop. But this was the worst massage i have ever recieved. All she did was way to deep eflfeurage. My husband who is a very large man was in so much after it that he could not hardly move. Dinner that night was a 5 cource meal that my husband who had the steak grately enjoyed. My pork was raw and cold in the middle, but other that that it was very good. But, on a positive note the service was excellent. Not sure if we will ever spend 1000$ to slay the night again, but next summer we migth drive there to eat again.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

We recently traveled to Cave B Inn at Sagecliffe for business/leisure and cannot speak highly enough about this place. As you cross the spine of the Cascades east, the landscape changes dramatically, scattered by sage, high desert plateaus, leaving you at the magnificence of the Columbia River Gorge. The sky opens and horizon line elongates as you travel down a long drive lined by (?possible) cottonwoods, you become disentangled from urban distractions and feeling of winter closeness.

The resort was specially designed to respect and fit in with the natural surroundings; it is at once elegant but relaxed and playful. The building materials use reclaimed woods and excavation rock and the main building has an open design which brings your eye to the gorgeous landscape. The property dog Cuvee joined us at our meeting in a room with curvilinear views of the Columbia Plateau, almost impossibly beautiful to hold a serious meeting. This is an estate winery and the wine is more than good; it is as impressive as its simple but excellent food.

Our cliff house was beautifully done, leather couch, comfortable chairs, a double sided fireplace and spacious bathroom. One wall is all windows, opening to a permeable view of the landscape as it changed colors as the sun coursed its away across the sky. We had great interactions with the people that work there who seem very happy to be there; and a happy and relaxed staff is a good sign of a well run property. No, we don't work for the property but really like to support good work, well done. For those of you into sustainable hotels, this one is quite good and they are serious about their path.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ChowhoundSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quincy
BEST WESTERN Rama Inn
BEST WESTERN Rama Inn
#1 of 3 in Ephrata
Sunny Springs Resort & Campground
Crescent Bar RV Resort
The Suites at Crescent Bay Resort

Been to Cave B Estate Winery & Resort? Share your experiences!